So I Butchered a COW7 (56k fired up the barbecue, I mean router)

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score

:lol:
I'm pretty sure a lot of you have seen this already because of these threads: Question About Jackson COW 7 String, and Neck Pickup in a COW7 but here are some good pictures of the guitar:

(those silver screws are starting to bother me)

(aww it's my kitty :wub:)

The new route is actually cleaner and tighter fitting (by a small margin) than the factory one:yesway:

Control Cavity

I got the idea of routing for a neck pickup idea after owning the guitar for about a month and really missing the neck pickup and a tone knob. My main guitar is a LP so I'm used to having lots of knobs to fiddle with and every time I try not having a neck pickup I get tired of the lack of versatility (imo) after a few weeks. I ended up paying a local luthier (Skip's Music:yesway:) to do the work because I couldn't trust myself and I would have no way of repairing the finish if I screwed up. In the end the total cost of the guitar came to less than what a Hellraiser would have cost and I got what I feel is a far superior guitar. Also if anyone is on the fence about switching their EMGs to Blackouts I say do it if you can find a set of Blackouts used of if you know you can get a decent amount for the EMGs when you sell them. The Blackouts sound "better" to my ears but I don't know if it's a $175 "better." I'm using a BO neck and a BO bridge in their respective places.

And for Sebastian:lol::

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sworth9411

Banned
Reaction score
This looks tits......amazing nice clean work.....Jackson should have offered this to begin with as well....bravo.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
I think guitars with only neck pickups look slightly better, but are obviously lacking in versatility. This, however, is still one sexy COW. You are a very lucky guy :yesway:.

EDIT - I meant "with only bridge pickups." :fawk: you Ramsay :).

turmoil

l0rd of teh shr3d
Contributor
Reaction score
excellent man! looks super clean.
i've always thought COW7's looked cool but i just don't think i can live with one bridge pickup. i need some kind of neck pickup, whether it be a single or hum.

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Wooow!! a COW never looked better!

EDIT: i was about to suggest the 18V mod but i see you got Blackies fitted in, way to go man ;)

Bleak

Reaction score
How much did the routing job run you, roughly?
Also, is there a reason you didn't get the neck pickup close to flush with the fretboard?

Ruins

Reaction score
very well done dude it looks absolutely great!
now if it only had a trem..... :ugh: (trem lover, i am guilty) any thought on future butchering..?

Sebastian

Reaction score
I should neg rep you all
*shakes fists and says some not nice words in polish
:lol:

thedonutman

Reaction score
Also, is there a reason you didn't get the neck pickup close to flush with the fretboard?

+1

Exactly the two questions I wanted to ask. :lol:

I really want a COW, and the only thing really stopping me is the lack of a neck pickup.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words:metal:

very well done dude it looks absolutely great!
now if it only had a trem..... :ugh: (trem lover, i am guilty) any thought on future butchering..?

A trem would be great but I'm not that crazy:lol:

looks great, who did the work?

Michael Gardner, he works for Skip's Music in Sacramento. I don't know if he's built any guitars but his repair work looks great. I assume you can't say you're a luthier unless you've done the proper schooling right?

I was charged $150 for the routing, installation, wiring, and quick setup. I bought the Blackouts for around $110 and the guitar with case and locking tuners for $550 off the classifieds here. There's a gap between the neck and fretboard in case I ever wanted to put passives in the guitar. The rings would have to clear the bevel in the lower horn.

Latest posts