So I guess I like high-tension strings.

• Thread starter Razorgrin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Razorgrin

Reaction score
I'll be getting a new axe or two in the next few weeks, so I've just been calculating my strings' tension via the handy-dandy calculator to try and retain the same feel on the new axen. Apparently I like my strings really tight; in one case I've got over 30#. (From now on, I'm going to feel like I'm taking my life in my hands bending that one.) Anyone else prefer high string tension?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

abyss258

Reaction score
I would really enjoy some extremely thin and tight strings on a standard scale length, but I'm not sure how I can go about doing that... hah

Disco Volante

Reaction score
High Tension Wires is one of my favorite Steve Morse albums.

39843.jpg

I came from playing 35" scale 5 string bass though so I don't mind the higher tensions. Floppy strings are not your friend.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I am sooo the opposite. Mainly because I'm playing 8 strings mostly, and thick strings on those have a tendency to sound too bassy. I'm using the equivalent of 9s, tension-wise.

Charles

Happy Metal
Reaction score
I'm in the same camp as the OP; the more the strings are flopping around, the harder it is to alternate pick with precision, and I'm all about alternate picking.

On the flip side, the stiffer and heavier the strings are the more difficult it is (at least for me) to play legato, so, like everything else in life, string tension is definitely a trade off.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I'm in the same camp as the OP; the more the strings are flopping around, the harder it is to alternate pick with precision, and I'm all about alternate picking.

On the flip side, the stiffer and heavier the strings are the more difficult it is (at least for me) to play legato, so, like everything else in life, string tension is definitely a trade off.

So I wonder if anyone's studied how much of an amplitude difference in string vibration there is going from light to heavy strings. I'm curious to know if you go up a couple of pounds how much less the string travels when it's picked.

Razorgrin

Reaction score
Floppy strings are not your friend.
Agreed a thousandfold. Plus, I'm used to pretty low tunings and flubby strings sound even worse in, say, drop B.

I am sooo the opposite. Mainly because I'm playing 8 strings mostly, and thick strings on those have a tendency to sound too bassy. I'm using the equivalent of 9s, tension-wise.
One of my next axes is an eight. I'm going to play with different string sets, but even with a long scale the idea of strings that light just kind of horrifies me (they're so thin! haven't played a plain third string in fifteen years! etc.). Because I'm kind of an idiot, I'll probably end up with the eight-string equivalent of 12s or 13s and just praying they don't snap and take out my eye. Besides, bending is overrated.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
I use eensy weensy strings. 9-42 on my 6s (gibson scale) in E, Drop D, Eb, Drop Db, and the occasional dropping the low string to B. Same strings on my 7 plus a 56 or 60 for the low string.

Ironbird666

Reaction score
I'm more of a light top/heavy bottom kind of guy, usually use 09/46 hybrid sets in standard, add a .56 for my seven string and I'm happy. I do prefer a little bit higher tension on the low strings for my downtuned 6ers as I tend to pick fairly hard for rhythm work but I still need .09 equivelant strings for lead work. I have a light touch with my fretting hand but I'm heavy handed with my picking hand, can get interesting at times!! LOL

Xanithon

Headbobbing Galore
Reaction score
I'm a fan of thick strings for my guitar, i'd use like 12-52+64 for B standard on a 7string. But now on my 8string i'm using the standard Set thing (also one of those Packs they sell).

Personally i'd prefer to have tight tension, but i can't fork out the money for like 080 strings etc.

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
Rockin' the light top/heavy bottom XL's in .10 - .52 tuned to Drop C#
:hbang:

Perfect tension IMO but I wish the top strings were thicker...
I think I might just go even lower and up the gauges all around.

Razorgrin

Reaction score
Rockin' the light top/heavy bottom XL's in .10 - .52 tuned to Drop C#
:hbang:

Perfect tension IMO but I wish the top strings were thicker...
I think I might just go even lower and up the gauges all around.
I'm an LTHB guy (.010-.056) in drop D; my drop C six has a seven-string set minus the .010, so .013-.059.

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
.56 in D?! Man, I thought I liked tension... :lol:

I'd love to give something like the .13-.59 in C for sure...
good idea with buying the seven string set for that.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm using .10,5-.48 D'Addarios, on a 25,5" scale. I used 9's for years because I thought they were "the best for shred", but heavier strings not only sound better (louder, clearer, punchier, more sustain), I was surprised to see I could also play faster on them :lol: So I guess it's all up to how you're built etc.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Currently using 11-52's or whatever the stand 11 set is, in E standard or occasionally drop D depending upon what I learn. First time I'd ever used anything higher than 9.5's and I actually dig it. The action is just the right height that I can still play fast but as the strings stay in tune damn well, and you can really dig in on the bends now.

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
MAYBE I WILL :scream:

Seriously though, I'm sure my string gauges would get STUPID if I owned a standard scale 7, hah.
Praise the guitar world for extended scale and fanned fret axes.

Johnboy_Ice

Reaction score
MAYBE I WILL :scream:
:lol:

but seriously, I'm trying 12-56's in Drop C on a 25.5 scale when my music store calls me. I had a pup swap and for some reason asked for the 10-52's (for some reason that's what I thought I had in my guitar before) and it was way way way too floppy.

')