So I just recorded and mixed my friends thrash band...

• Thread starter FoxZero
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FoxZero

Zero Imperfections
Reaction score
Well, I just recorded my friends thrash bands with two totally different sounding amps. One had a SS Valtronics amp and the other had an all tube Genz-Benze Diablo. The SS guy played with more bass and a lot of mids, the tube guy play completely scooped with little bass and a shitload of treble. Obviously this was very hard to mix. The cheap SS amp just crushed the tube in the mix! What I did was what exactly what Mattayus said and the opposite. For the middy guy I dropped his upper mids and boosted his low mids to give him the heavy territory (I think 250h and 350h, and dipped 2500h). Then I cut part of his treble (8000h).

For the tube guy I did somewhat the opposite. His upper mids got a huge boast, the largest of all my eq movements, 4.7 db at 2500h. Then I dropped his 250h, boasted 650h, 5k, and 3.5k.

Here's the raw and final product. Double tracked on both sides. This was the first time these guys ever recorded so give them some slack on the mistakes! They have very little money so I recorded them for free. BTW the mic was an AT2021 pencil condensor. Enjoy!

http://foxzero.net/Music/striker_song_raw.mp3 Raw mix
http://foxzero.net/Music/striker_song.mp3 Finished mix

Let me know how I did. They were quite happy with how I mixed it.

Ruins

Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
you did the best what you could possibly do, they need to find their sound
or discover how it will not work in band situation

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
you did the best what you could possibly do, they need to find their sound
or discover how it will not work in band situation

Yeah, you should try and record it again, but this time use two tones that sound good on their own, rather than taking two different ones and mixing them.

You should always try and record the best sounds you possibly can. Remember: GIGO - Garbage in, Garbage out (Not saying the mix sucked, but it's always way easier to get quality recordings with raw material that sounds good from the start)

Ruins

Reaction score
i think the idea of their tones is quite cool, needs some tweaking from players them selfs though.

FoxZero

Zero Imperfections
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean, why would the tube guy scoop his mids and bass!!? I actually treaked the middy SS guy, but he ended up dominating the mix. Yeah and middy and scoop tone would sound cool together but they need to work on their tweaking big time. However I'm not sure how much my mic contributed to any coloration or muddyness, but in general I've found it pretty damn transparent, it just doesn't pick up bass very well, but they really liked that as it is old school thrash.

I'm considering joining their band on vocals :lol: these guys are very talented they're just total noobs at recording.

Next up is drums and bass this Saterday hopefully. I'll try and talk them into re-recording the guitars but they found it so frustrating they wanna leave it were it's at for now :lol:

Ruins

Reaction score
awesome i am looking forward to hear the results.
and cheer them up recording is part of musicians if they learned to have fun from playing guitar they will learn to have fun recording too :)

FoxZero

Zero Imperfections
Reaction score
awesome i am looking forward to hear the results.
and cheer them up recording is part of musicians if they learned to have fun from playing guitar they will learn to have fun recording too :)

Yeah they were super stressed out and frustrated while recording. I kept saying they need to take a break, chill out, or get some water but they were so stressed to get it all done in 4 hours! That's to much work to do in one shot! They really didn't like the double tracking and they don't seem to want to re-record just yet :lol:

Well hopefully things will go better next time. A friend of mine just tuned my drum heads so the drums will hopefully sound good, using only two mics :lol: my studio is ghetto but it's better than what they were using (coughwebmicscough). No fuckin DSFH! This shit's all real.

Edit: For got to mention that the SS guy I forced him to use my Bloody Murder pedal in front and I turned his gained down and cranked the distortion on the BM, this really smoothed things out and gave him a boast in warth and tightness. The Tube guy was using a freakin Digitech floor proccessor for a distortion boost and that explains the shitload of fizz. I don't know why he uses it. That expllains a bit why the SS amp is dominating :lol:

Last edited:

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
The Tube guy was using a freakin Digitech floor proccessor for a distortion boost and that explains the shitload of fizz.

That explains why it sounded like like a scooped mess. He was probably using the "Recto" patch which on the GNX2 my friend has, sounds like a load of garbage.

You need to teach these people the ways of good tone.

FoxZero

Zero Imperfections
Reaction score
That explains why it sounded like like a scooped mess. He was probably using the "Recto" patch which on the GNX2 my friend has, sounds like a load of garbage.

You need to teach these people the ways of good tone.

He was using some kind of distortion pedal model in front of the amp, itsa nice high end amp, why he's using a shitty digital boost I don't kucking know. :nuts:

The tube guy is a bit stubbern with his tone, but I was able to treak the SS guys amp as he's not too picky as long as he's heard (it was pretty nice sound for a cheap amp when I put the BM in front).

They were more concerned with just recording then tone, I was able to get them to turn their gains down to absolute minimal (which totally saved them).

Next Time the SS guy's amp is going through my 4x12 and I might pick up an SM57 or two by then. The tube guy is using some mids and bass! Maybe I'll buy him a used TS7, the SS guy is considering getting one and having JoBo modded as he was very impressed with the BM :hbang:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Grammar nazi interruption:

How many guys in the band are you friends with? If just one, your title should be "...my friend's thrash band." If multiple friends, then it should read "...my friends' thrash band." As it stands now, I have no idea if you're friends with one guy in the band or friends with several of them, and the uncertainty is killing me.

Please resume your regularly scheduled thread.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
He was using some kind of distortion pedal model in front of the amp, itsa nice high end amp, why he's using a shitty digital boost I don't kucking know. :nuts:

The tube guy is a bit stubbern with his tone, but I was able to treak the SS guys amp as he's not too picky as long as he's heard (it was pretty nice sound for a cheap amp when I put the BM in front).

They were more concerned with just recording then tone, I was able to get them to turn their gains down to absolute minimal (which totally saved them).

Next Time the SS guy's amp is going through my 4x12 and I might pick up an SM57 or two by then. The tube guy is using some mids and bass! Maybe I'll buy him a used TS7, the SS guy is considering getting one and having JoBo modded as he was very impressed with the BM :hbang:

The BM Pedal does wonders in front of my friends Marshall MG100HDFX.
You should just tell them, you're the one recording for free, YOU get to set their tones. :D

Latest posts