So I need help with cleaning my fret board

• Thread starter that short guy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

that short guy

Reaction score
Pretty self explanitory... my fret board is starting to get this gunk on it and I'm not sure what the best way to clean it is... if my guitar didn't have a floyd I'd just take all of the strings off and but it has a floyd and I really don't want to deal with the pain of recalibrating the bridge tension.

So my question is simple what would be the best way to clean the ebony fret board?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
You could try sliding some playing cards under the bridge, so it doesn't bottom out when you release the tension of the strings. Then as long as you are restringing with the same gauge, you can take them off, clean with some 0000 steel wool and linseed oil and restring it back up. Getting it level again should only take a few minutes.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
If you are getting that gunky, it's probably time to change strings anyway. I use some basic Dunlop cleaner from Guitar Center and a microfiber cloth. A few drops of fretboard oil 1-2 times a year.

craigny

Winning...duh
Reaction score
Dr ducks ax wax. You can even use it on your strings. It's a all in one plus string lube. Works awesome on fretboards.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Oh yeah. a Guitar Tech salesman at Axe Music in Edmonton suggested this for my Gibson Explorer and it worked great!

lg_65.jpg

Stricken

Reaction score
I tend to use lemon oil and a toothbrush (not one that a person has ever used) to get my fretboard when it gets dirty. If that doesn't work, I'd move to the microfiber cloth or steel wool. Just make sure you know which way the wood grain goes

sear

Reaction score
Toothbrush works fine. Use lemon oil (which is just mineral oil, at least when you buy it as a guitar cleaning product), lighter fluid, or, if you have any and want to "deep clean" things, natural biodegradable cleaning products like Simple Green/Green Works/etc. (no bleach, no Windex, etc.).

Personally I think guitarists are generally a bit too wary of what cleaning products to use. It's unfinished wood, so simply avoid anything that leaves a residue, don't let it sink into the grain, and you should be fine.

And no, you don't "clean" a fretboard by pouring a bunch of overpriced lemon oil on it and letting it sink in. You want to clean it, you need to scrub a bit. No, it won't hurt your guitar unless you're some kind of klutz or decide to use CLR or some other crap on it.

')