So, I played 2 Prestige and 2 Premium Ibanez guitars yesterday..

• Thread starter rockstarazuri
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
the new claro walnut top premium S's look awesome thinking of picking one of those up once they come out

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
Dunno, got an RG2228 which looks/feels/plays better than most Ibanez guitars ive tried. By the the worst have always been the S series, no matter which one i pick up it plays like ass...

Then again, the single best playing Ibanez, ill even say guitar, ive ever played is my RG7640, hands down.

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
Premium series guitars are made with cheaper components from korea and china and assembled in Japan. To try to hit on the "I want a Japanese Ibanez" market. Same as Fender with the California series, Highway One Series and whatever that new one is now. They are simply a MUCH cheaper guitar.

jl-austin

Reaction score
/sigh

The premiums are made at the Ibanez premium factory. The factory is Ibanez's own factory. They take a lot of pride in what they label as "premium" because those are coming out of THEIR factory.

The premiums are NOT assembled in Japan.

I don't know how many times we have to go over this!

That being said, the premiums aren't really prestiges either. The neck profiles ARE different. If you LOVE the prestige models, you might not like a premium. I would say play both and the one you like (and afford) is the one you should get. There is a reason that Ibanez continues to sell the RG1570 when you can get an almost identical RG920 premium for less. Play them both, make up your own mind.

rockstarazuri

Reaction score
Indonesian factory with Fujigen people overseeing the process at that ;)

I love the necks on the Premiums. And the J Custom level fretwork beats any other Ibanez out of the water, save for the J Customs.

Btw, Highway Ones > American Standard Strats in my book. Less sticky necks, awesome finish and the jumbo frets are <3

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
Indonesian factory with Fujigen people overseeing the process at that ;)

I love the necks on the Premiums. And the J Custom level fretwork beats any other Ibanez out of the water, save for the J Customs.

Btw, Highway Ones > American Standard Strats in my book. Less sticky necks, awesome finish and the jumbo frets are <3

ah, so two Japanese luthiers sitting in an office over an indonesian factory. Sounds like a selling gimmick to be sure.

rockstarazuri

Reaction score
Gimmick? The quality of the guitars I played were proof enough for me. I played Prestiges, J Customs, Fender American Standards, Caparison Delingers and Horuses, Schecter Japan EX series, and for the price, Premiums are up there with them.

Manufacturing factories don't mean anything if the QC is tight and the workers are skilled. Look at Suhr's Rasmus series too.

Osiris

Reaction score
You guys are fortunate to have music stores that stock premiums. Guitar Centers are all we have here and they dont stock any Ibanezes over like $400.

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
You guys are fortunate to have music stores that stock premiums. Guitar Centers are all we have here and they dont stock any Ibanezes over like $400.

I live near the "world famous" house of guitars and they are yet another Fender/Gibson superstore most of the time. Occasionally have I see a couple nice Jacksons but never have I seen a decent Ibanez anywhere near me.

Randomist

Reaction score

I found my local guitar/instrument shop a while back... the sum total of the electric guitars available was 6 squiers and 4 gio's... there were also 4 cheap acoustics and load of crappy keyboards. But I do know a place near where my parents live that usually hace some very nice fenders and gibsons and one or two prestiges. I have yet to see a premium in a guitar shop.

Bones43x

Reaction score

Same here in K-town. They stock TONS of the cheap-o Ibbies, and a Jem.

rockstarazuri

Reaction score
Just got back from another shop. Tested a Prestige RG2770Z (Maple top mahogany body) vs a Premium. The Prestige was badly setup though. I didn't like the sound that much compared to the Premium. The Premium felt better to play for me. Premium won again.. really, wtf.

True story

Randomist

Reaction score
Differences in etup and personal preferance can make all the difference. If you prefer the premium neck to prestige anyway, and then play a prestige that's badly set up, the prestige has a lot of ground to make up. A good setup will take it a long way, but if you just prefer the premiums anyway, get a premium. Each to their own.

LetsMosey

friendly ginger
Reaction score
same here. It seems the lower price-point Prestige models feel really cheap... yet the Premium's play and feel really nice. It's sad that Ibanez is lowering the quality of prestiges just so they can lower the cost so kids can afford a prestige, just for bragging rights of owning a prestige.

I want to know the long-term quality tho of the new Premiums; especially considering most are made in Indonesia. I thought they were supposed to be MIJ? Guess not. :\

This isn't anything new though... I mean, look at the MIJ RG74/7620's from 1998-2000... they are about the same build quality and feel just as nice (or nicer, imo anyway) as a brand new RG1527, RGD2127Z or RGD2120Z. And now the Premiums are feeling even nicer than Prestige models. Seems they go cheaper and cheaper on build quality and craftsmanship when phasing out guitars to make room for the new latest and greatest.

')