So, I played 2 Prestige and 2 Premium Ibanez guitars yesterday..

• Thread starter rockstarazuri
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jl-austin

Reaction score
Dont quote me on this....but i hear the prestige line is almost over :nuts:

The majority of people wont pay $1700 for a prestige when they can get an "almost as good" premium for $900ish.

I would say the days of mainstream MIJ Ibanez guitars are coming to an end. There will still be the uber expensive models out of Japan, like the J-custom stuff, and maybe some siggys, but mainstream, I think those days are just about over.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Horizongeetar93

the sparkle guy
Reaction score
The majority of people wont pay $1700 for a prestige when they can get an "almost as good" premium for $900ish.

I would say the days of mainstream MIJ Ibanez guitars are coming to an end. There will still be the uber expensive models out of Japan, like the J-custom stuff, and maybe some siggys, but mainstream, I think those days are just about over.

Especially for the 2500 piece of overpriced rga they have out. I'd take a premium over that anyday. i actually like the premiums over the prestiges.

Randomist

Reaction score
I really hope not. For the price of a premium here, I'd rather spend a littlle extra on an RG1570MZ and get the Japanese hardware and the prestige logo/hardcase (or an RG1451, if you can find one left in white plaster, costs less than any of the premiums).

ScarSymmetry

Reaction score
This thread really made my day!Lefty player here with limited buying alternatives so i had a prolonged dilemma for a used 1570 in black or a premium black ice...
Now i know i can end my dilemma: steal the premium,throw some white dimarzio paf pro's in bridge and neck and i am in heaven!:shred:

LetsMosey

friendly ginger
Reaction score
This thread really made my day!Lefty player here with limited buying alternatives so i had a prolonged dilemma for a used 1570 in black or a premium black ice...
Now i know i can end my dilemma: steal the premium,throw some white dimarzio paf pro's in bridge and neck and i am in heaven!:shred:

After re-reading, I thought the consensus was prestige was still better than premium. Like someone else already said, why not pay a little more and get a Prestige? You'll be happier in the long run having the Japanese quality they're known for. I wouldn't want to take a risk spending that much on an instrument that is part of a new line, in a new Indonesian factory. Prestige all the way. Despite my opinion from my earlier post, I still think the prestige guitars play better at a certain point. The lower priced Prestige models probably play just as good or maybe worse than the high priced Premium guitars, but once you get into the higher priced Prestige's, that's when the quality seems to go up. It really depends on the model and what you're looking for. Don't get me wrong, the Premiums are nice, but for the price, I'd rather go find a nice jcustom or prestige used.

Randomist

Reaction score
Premiums are nice, but for the price, I'd rather go find a nice jcustom or prestige used.

For the price of a premium? I could get a couple of nice Prestiges used, Jcustom maybe just the one, they don't appear much here at all.
IMO the 1570s are still better new than a premium. They cost very little more, but the quality is still high, and you get a hardcase thrown in that's worth the price difference on its own. Incidentally a prestige hardcase sold a couple of days ago for £132 here... used. The M100C can be had new for <£100 but the team J-Craft sticker must mean something to people... :idea:
Now to buy some RG1570s and swap the cases for M100C's

ScarSymmetry

Reaction score
After re-reading, I thought the consensus was prestige was still better than premium. Like someone else already said, why not pay a little more and get a Prestige? You'll be happier in the long run having the Japanese quality they're known for. I wouldn't want to take a risk spending that much on an instrument that is part of a new line, in a new Indonesian factory. Prestige all the way. Despite my opinion from my earlier post, I still think the prestige guitars play better at a certain point. The lower priced Prestige models probably play just as good or maybe worse than the high priced Premium guitars, but once you get into the higher priced Prestige's, that's when the quality seems to go up. It really depends on the model and what you're looking for. Don't get me wrong, the Premiums are nice, but for the price, I'd rather go find a nice jcustom or prestige used.
Yeah it might be not as good as the prestige quality but i have a premium on order with paf pro's installed!!!no lefty prestiges for me

Latest posts

')