So I put 6L6's in my Laney...

• Thread starter metalfiend666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
... and the results are interesting. First off I'd like to point out that I've only been able to use this at bedroom levels, which equates to just over 2 on the volume (even that's very loud on this beast) so I don't know how the change affects the high volume sounds.

Well the first surprise is that the amp appears to have slightly less gain than it did with the EL34's. However that cleaned up the sound and made it less "fizzy". It sounds more usable over a range of tones.

The second surprise was that it now sounds more like a modded Marshall than it ever did running EL34's. Circuitry wise it basically is just a hot rodded Marshall, but I am really surprised that it's the 6L6's rather than the EL34's that really bring that out. There's still a hint of modern high gain sound there though, and something I just can't quite put my finger on that's a definite character trait of the sound of this amp. No matter what settings I try there's always that sound there. It's kinda cool, but I'd like to know what it is!

Overall I think I'm going to stick with the 6L6's for now, but I'd like to hear the sound of this amp really cranked. I think power tube saturation will really bring the best out of this amp and with it being single channel I don't have to worry about affecting the clean sound, it doesn't have one! Until I can get hold of an attenuator of some sort so I can do that at home I think I'll have to book a session at a local rehearsal rooms just to mess with the settings on this at a decent volume.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I've always preferred 6L6's. They don't have that upper midrange honk, which makes them just sound thicker and more brutal. They are best at clean and high gain sounds, while EL34's are better for those in between tones that blues/rock guys go for.

rummy

maybe this year
Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting. I love my EL middy honk, but I hope to try the 6L6s when these JJs EL34Ls burn out.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
noodles said:
I've always preferred 6L6's. They don't have that upper midrange honk, which makes them just sound thicker and more brutal. They are best at clean and high gain sounds, while EL34's are better for those in between tones that blues/rock guys go for.

I agree 100%. I've found 6L6s to produce very warm, rich tones.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I like the 6L6's with my Laney, but prefered 34's with the TriAxis rig :spock:
I believe that Laney character has something to do with a capacitor on the first gain stage that Marshalls don't have. I've heard that from a tech.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dave, I've got to agree there. There's less honk to it and the amps much clearer for it.

Dan, interesting. It rocks nicely with the 6L6's, I just wish it had a clean channel now.

skattabrain

slow and low
Reaction score
i have a set of 6l6's from euro hanging in my desk drawer ... love my el34 sound ... but i do want to try the 6l6's ... i need to get a multimeter. but the reason i mention this is that i've grown attached to my 'honk' where at first it bugged me a bit ... :lol: ... it does help set distinction between me and the other guitarist and bass.

jarrydn

G'day mate D:
Reaction score
I love 6L6 tubes, for the mere fact that EL34's just look anemic compared side by side :p

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Cool.

When the GH50/100 came stock with 6L6s, everyone seemed to be putting EL34s in them. Now that they come with 34s, everyone likes 6L6s. Kinda funny.

Speaking for myself, I'd only ever heard the GH50L with 6L6s, and the 34s sounded wrong to me in the amp. It's a nice improvement, IMO.

If it took away the Laney tone, I'd have had a fit. :lol:

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
dpm said:
...but prefered 34's with the TriAxis rig :spock:
Don't worry, i like 34's with my triaxis. I find it kind of takes away some of the clinicism i associate with mesa and adds a rockier "dirtier" vibe to it :)

metalfiend666 said:
Dave, I've got to agree there. There's less honk to it and the amps much clearer for it.

Dan, interesting. It rocks nicely with the 6L6's, I just wish it had a clean channel now.
Told you to get a triaxis :D

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
7 Dying Trees said:
Don't worry, i like 34's with my triaxis. I find it kind of takes away some of the clinicism i associate with mesa and adds a rockier "dirtier" vibe to it :)

Screw the Triaxis.

VH100R.

:metal:

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
7 Dying Trees said:

As I keep telling you I don't need all those channels, I just need clean and distortion. Plus, as I've said to you before, I can get an Engl E530 preamp and E840 poweramp brand new for the price of a used Triaxis. :fawk: The Laney's just an experiment, I can sell it for what I paid for it and keep the 6L6's for that E840. :evil:

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
my feelings are a mixture of these :eek: :ugh: :spock: :scratch: :mad: :rant:

Bah, I feel no Mesa GAS. I could think of about 5 amps I'd rather have than a Triaxis, and one of them is in my possession. :lol:

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Never been a massive Tri-Axis fan.......which is why I sold it to James :lol:

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
So that's where his came from. You'll have to come to James' when I take this beast round there and see how it compares to your Marshall.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Frankly, I prefer my VH50R to the TriAxis :shrug:, but only since modding the Laney.
With the Mesa, EL34's tighten up the bass and give them snarl - very cool. I might try them in the Laney next time, or KT77's.

rummy

maybe this year
Contributor
Reaction score
Finally made the switch today. I put the JJs 6L6GCs instead of the EL34Ls. I love it! It's still the british sound, but it's more modern now. It definitely has that round fuller sound as opposed to middy focused Marshall sound. I'm getting the bass that I never knew my cab could produce. :D

A shout out to Toshiro for inspiration. :shred:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've grown to really appreciate the upper-midrange part of the spectrum. That's where "chunk" lives.

I like EL-84 power sections. :)

')