So I'm listening to "Piece of Mind"...

• Thread starter eaeolian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
...and does it get any better than this? Really? I mean, here's the biggest metal band in the world, at the height of their powers, and they release an album that contains not less than three songs that the band still performs at every show, 23 years later - and all the rest of the songs kick ass, too?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
My playlist right now:

Rainmaker
Die With Your Boots On
Can I Play With Madness
Infinite Dreams
The Evil That Men Do
Caught Somewhere In Time
Deja Vu
Tears of The Dragon
The Angel and The Gambler
Wrathchild (killer bass line!)
Blood Brothers
Ghost of The Navigator

:yesway:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry Ken, Poweslave doesn't even come close to Piece of Mind :)

Piece of Mind is a masterpiece. It's one of my two favorite Maiden albums, that and Killers.

rogue

metal is forever
Reaction score
well im 16 so i really like their last 3 albums too but i of course appreciate all the classics...and david, tut tut where is fear of the dark, flight of icarus and 2 minutes to midnight...

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
< HUGE MAIDEN FAN..... I think Piece of Mind has to be the biggest classic Maiden album of them all. I think Piece of Mind through Seventh Son has to be my favorite era of the band. I know some people didn't care for Somewhere In Time, but I would say that's my top pick. I still love hearing the galloping triplets and all the harmonies. Awesome stuff!

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Pfft "Number of the Beast" (Hallowed Be They Name owns all) and "Brave New World" FTW :hbang:

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm with Mike the eaolian - Piece of Mind in an absolute masterpiece!
I've got all the early Maiden stuff (all on vinyl:)) up to Somewhere in Time (which I love) but Piece really stands out as fantastic music.

angusyoungwanabe

ss.org's Diabetic
Reaction score
i love Piece of Mind. I used to have the Early Years DVD, and i killed it to bits, watching it all the time. i gave it to my friend who got me REALLY into maiden. i listened to the "Poser" stuff, i'd say "Number of The Beast for life man." but he got me into Powerslave, Piece of Mind, and Brave New World. i can honestly say i love all things Maiden, minus the band, (if you catch my drift).

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to this post! Kind of ironic, here I am reading this post and listenning to Supernova's new *cough song, somehow I don' think anyone will remember this song in 23 years.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Only one song that is soso on the album, yes, it is brilliant, but i still prefer powerslave and somewhere in time. I started on the first tywo albums and worked my way up, instead of the usual work ones way back.

Just always been dubious of every album after seventh son, up to and including seventh son was all classic!

2powern

Maiden England
Reaction score
Maiden are my favourite band, and I think Piece Of Mind is mostly filler.

Gimme 7th Son, Number or Powerslave anyday.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
"Piece of Mind" is the best Maiden record in my opinion as well. Every song is great.

I really don't like "Number of the Beast." I think it's just a really really boring song.

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
2powern said:
Maiden are my favourite band, and I think Piece Of Mind is mostly filler.

Gimme 7th Son, Number or Powerslave anyday.
Well I must say I totally disagree with this statement..Revelation, filler?:nuts:

No other album of it's time even sounded remotely similar. You can let someone, who has never heard of Maiden listen to that masterpiece, and I bet they'd think it was a fairly new creation, that album is timeless! Die with your Boots on, fuck that song alone rocks better than most of the crap that's out there today!

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
noodles said:
That's it, "The Trooper" is stuck in my head again.
:lol: We cover that song in my band, it is fun. It was the first song I ever learned by them and Piece Of Mind was the very first Iron Maiden album I ever heard and got into about '85 or so then came Somewhere In Time which is my favorite Maiden album, Piece Of Mind was always my next favorite though. Flight Of Icarus is my favorite song although it is hard to choose the best song off that album. Great album. :metal:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
"Killers" was actually my introduction to Maiden - my dad brought me the vinyl copy I still have back from England in early '82, and I love all the pre-"No Prayer" albums (although "Somewhere In Time" hasn't aged too well, to me), but PoM just hammers you from front to back. From "Killers" through "Powerslave", they were untouchable.

')