So I'm listening to "Piece of Mind"...

• Thread starter eaeolian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

2powern

Maiden England
Reaction score
WayneCustom7 said:
Well I must say I totally disagree with this statement..Revelation, filler?:nuts:

No other album of it's time even sounded remotely similar. You can let someone, who has never heard of Maiden listen to that masterpiece, and I bet they'd think it was a fairly new creation, that album is timeless! Die with your Boots on, fuck that song alone rocks better than most of the crap that's out there today!

Trooper, Revelations and Die with your boots on, the non filler.

Whereas Powerslave has ; Aces high, 2 minutes to midnight, Powerslave and the Rime. Maybe only one more song than POM, but the Rime is longer than all the good tracks on POM. IMO. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
technomancer said:
Sorry Ken, Poweslave doesn't even come close to Piece of Mind :)

Piece of Mind is a masterpiece. It's one of my two favorite Maiden albums, that and Killers.

i cant stand the last 3 songs on Piece of Mind. Quest For Fire? blah. Sun and steel? Blah. Points for a song about musashi. To Tame a Land, blah. Where Eagles Dare, Revelations, Die with your Boots on, The Trooper, and still life are all amazing songs though. i can listen to all 8 tracks of Powerslave on repeat without skipping anything..
Number of the beast has some skipable songs to me, too.. Gangland and invaders. the rest of it i like. Especially Children of the Damned.

Killers rules too. I love that album

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
+1. Holy Diver > Piece of Mind. (same year ;D) Holy Diver had one crappy song (Caught in the Middle). The rest owned.

Cyberi4n

Reaction score
7 Dying Trees said:
Only one song that is soso on the album, yes, it is brilliant, but i still prefer powerslave and somewhere in time. I started on the first tywo albums and worked my way up, instead of the usual work ones way back.

Just always been dubious of every album after seventh son, up to and including seventh son was all classic!

Did exactly the same and I kinda agree with this - Powerslave and POM are BOTH kickass albums, as are SIT and SSOASS :hbang:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
+1. Holy Diver > Piece of Mind. (same year ;D) Holy Diver had one crappy song (Caught in the Middle). The rest owned.

Anything involving Vivian Cambell cannot be better than anything involving Dave Murray and Adrian Smith.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
noodles said:
Anything involving Vivian Cambell cannot be better than anything involving Dave Murray and Adrian Smith.

+1

Maiden > Dio

PS: I still love Somewhere In Time, it's not that dated.... Um, I really like chorus, too. :lol:

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Piece of Mind is the greatest Maiden album. Period.

"Where Eagles Dare" might be the greatest album opener of all. If that shit doesn't get your heartrate speeding up then you're basically dead.

I bought PoM on cassette when it first came out, and it stayed in my Walkman continuously that entire summer--we took a family trip to see relatives and I managed to zone out the entire time in my own little Maiden universe. :hbang:

The only song I ever thought was remotely fillerish was "Quest for Fire," which didn't grab me as much as the others. But even that song has some good stuff going on.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Mark. A said:
Well, they're no Dio :fawk:

Amazing stuff, never ceases to amaze thee.

It's almost not fair to compare Maiden to Dio. The first three Dio solo albums were pretty insane, along with Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules and Dehumanizer.

But I love Still Life and all the artwork from Piece of Mind. I think I actually prefer Number... maybe. I dunno. They're all incredible. That picture of Eddie with the lobotomy is really genius.

Sentient

Metal Dog
Contributor
Reaction score
Piece of Mind is truly worthy of such praise (Where Eagles Dare is one of my favorite songs of all time), but for me, as far as overall Maiden albums, it comes in a really close 3rd behind Powerslave (reigns fuckin' supreme \m/), and Number of the Beast (which I consider a close 2nd behind Powerslave).

Naren said:
I really don't like "Number of the Beast." I think it's just a really really boring song.
That early part where Bruce screams "CAN I BELIEVE" and that flanger kicks in, is one of my absolute favorite moments of metal ever. That just sounds so fucking good. I would've never associated the word "boring" with that particular song, but of course, to each their own.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Sentient said:
That early part where Bruce screams "CAN I BELIEVE" and that flanger kicks in, is one of my absolute favorite moments of metal ever. That just sounds so fucking good. I would've never associated the word "boring" with that particular song, but of course, to each their own.

<dun dun dun dun dun dun> YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was pretty much hooked from that point.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Sentient said:

Yeah. I can understand that people like it. But it was so hyped up as one of the greatest metal songs (and one of Maiden's best songs) and the first time I heard it, I was like, "So what?" I think "boring" is the best word I can use to describe that song. I personally think that any song off of "Piece of Mind" is much much better than "Number of The Beast."

But, as you said, to each their own. Sometimes I'll meet someone who loves one of my favorite bands and I'll name my top 3 favorite songs by that band and they'll say "Oh, I don't like those songs. I like..." and they name off some of my least favorite songs by that band. Personal taste, I guess.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The fact that we can even have this argument says a lot about Maiden's place in metal history...

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
Number of is another fan fucking tasticular piece of Maiden greatness, dang I love Clive Burrs drumming on that also. 22 Acacia Ave rules, Hallowed Be..spot on, Children of the Damned...WOW! I just love the intro of The Prisoner, of course the whole song rules infact, the whole album rules...Anyone who knows and appreciates Maiden can testify that they are untouchable from Number of The Beast right through until Seventh Son...PERIOD:fawk:
FOTD featured some of Daves best solo work, but it wasn't until Brave New World that Maiden resurfaced again, strengthening their hold with Dance of Death...

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
I've got Fear of the Dark going right now, thanks to you guys. Before that was a little Dave Matthews mix...

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Matt Crooks said:
Yes. Killers.

Eh, you and I have had this discussion for years. Sometimes you think it's PoM, too.

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey I just listened to two of the new upcoming tracks and I really liked them, Different World and Brighter Than a Thousand Suns...man these guys still rock!

')