So I'm listening to "Piece of Mind"...

• Thread starter eaeolian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
Eh, you and I have had this discussion for years. Sometimes you think it's PoM, too.

Yes, that's true. I will admit, too, that I might give the nod to Killers simply because the majority seems to like PoM.

PoM and Killers flip flop, but currently it's Killers. Number of the Beast and the debut flip flop for 3rd and 4th too. Power Slave is firmly at the bottom of the "good" discs, I think it's a good disc, but I *never* pull it out to listen to it, unless forced to (like having to learn a cover).

Here's the current ranking (exluding live recordings), though the difference from the Killers to the Power Slave is very slight:

Killers
Piece of Mind
Number of the Beast
Iron Maiden
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Somewhere in Time
Power Slave
Brave New World
Everything else.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I'm on vacation all week since Tuesday.
Drove to Yosemite yesterday, doing the dinner train through the Sierra's for my anniversary tomorrow.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
rogue said:
well im 16 so i really like their last 3 albums too but i of course appreciate all the classics...and david, tut tut where is fear of the dark, flight of icarus and 2 minutes to midnight...
The only songs I listened to when I originally got into them were... Fear of the Dark, Aces High, 2 Minutes 2 Midnight, The Trooper, The Wicker Man, all the "well-known" songs. I've just out listened to them, probably 500 plays each.:lol:

I remember when I was into Fear of the Dark, I put it on a CD, and let it play for about 8 hours straight.

the only song I "wore out" yet still love to listen to, is The Number of the Beast.:yesway:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
noodles said:
Anything involving Vivian Cambell cannot be better than anything involving Dave Murray and Adrian Smith.

vivian campbell circa 1984 > vivan campbell any other time. Friggin lame ass def leppard pop bullshit.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
vivian campbell circa 1984 > vivan campbell any other time. Friggin lame ass def leppard pop bullshit.

Well duh. Everyone knows Steve Clark was the real songwriter in Def Leppard.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Pete Willis was fired during the tour for High & Dry, before recruiting Phil Collen for Pyromania.

Actually, Pete was fired during the "Pyromania" sessions. He's credited with playing on some of the album...

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Thats okay, cause the only great one was their first one ;D

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
Thats okay, cause the only great one was their first one ;D

Gonna have to disagree with you there. High N' Dry was a great fucking album. The riff to "No No No" is perfect.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
noodles said:
Gonna have to disagree with you there. High N' Dry was a great fucking album. The riff to "No No No" is perfect.

But you agree that NWOBHM > Lame pop anthems, right?

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
noodles said:
Steve wrote most of the riffs in that band. Pete played more of the leads.

You sure about that? Because their riffing changed noticeably after Pyromania--what little of it you could make out behind the wall of electronic drums and backing vocals, that is. :)

Either way, it always seemed to me that Pete and Steve had more of a 'unified' guitar sound, whereas Phil is more of a pure lead player. The Thin Lizzy influence was blatant while Pete was in the band.

eaeolian said:
Actually, Pete was fired during the "Pyromania" sessions. He's credited with playing on some of the album...

I think Phil only redid some of the leads--he came in quite late in the process, I believe. But I'm not exactly a Leppard expert.

I was a big fan of High 'n Dry and was hugely let down by Pyromania.

')