So, in my wife's never-ending quest...

• Thread starter eaeolian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe true, but you forgot the other part of the higherarchy:

Ray Alder < John Arch < God like fish substance known as tuna.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
Ray Alder > Every prog singer except Geoff Tate. :yesway:

Hmm. I'm with Ken, here - I like Ray just fine, and he really came into his own around "Parallels" but...

Arch's performace on "Awaken the Guardian" is one of the best prog-metal vocal performances EVER. In fact, only Tate on RFO really strikes me as being better...

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Actually, I always thought the vocals were a real weak link on the early Fates Warning stuff. Ray Alder's vocals on the last few releases have been nothing short of stunning though.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Thats the thing though, When Arch was in the band, he wrote all the lyrics and all the vocal melodies and everything. When Alder came around, Jim Matheos took ALL that over. So as a result, they changed drastically, and for the worse, IMO.
Awaken the Guardian is insane, its a very deep album, musically, lyrically and vocally.
I think there's a lot of better singers than alder personally, granted he isnt bad.

theunforgiven246

BEHOLD KLUMPAMUS PRIME!
Reaction score
ok back on topic.... yea i'm lucky i'm dating a cute girl that listens to metal and its awsome cause she basicly likes all the same bands i like except Meshuggah and i dont know why..... oh well but its still cool. not to mention that she is also a musician (plays cello and some guitar and sings awsomly) so thats also another plus.

ecalcagnino

\mm/
Contributor
Reaction score
Alder is killer, I have to agree.. Tate and crew always struck me as the corporate radio version of FW, not a fan at all. I like Arch, too but good christ that guy has an attitude. How old do you have to be to stop singing about your last D&D campaign?

My wife's taste in music is all over the board. She has an Aerosmith tattoo and loves old rock. She was an 80's hair band chick for sure. But I'll get in her car and every time I am surprised. Sevendust, old Beasties like Check Your Head :metal: , Velvet Revolver, Public Enemy, RTL era Metallica... Nothing super heavy but it's nice to have a wife with some taste. She doesn't look the part AT ALL either. She owns a pediatric occupational therapy practice, hahaha... her patient's families trip when her tats peek out. It's awesome, she has more than I do. She also loves to sing along but sucks so bad...ahahhaa :) At least she knows it.

Anyway, she is also a big concert fan. I HATE live shows. The understatement of the year is to say that I don't like big crowds of people but she drags me to like 30 shows a year. I am usually happy I went but the anxiety beforehand shreds me. Is my hour up, Dr.? :)

Happy New Year all! :fawk:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
While we're on the FW vs. Queensryche thread, does anyone else think Chris DeGarmo is a massively under-rated guitarist?

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
theunforgiven246 said:
ok back on topic.... yea i'm lucky i'm dating a cute girl that listens to metal and its awsome cause she basicly likes all the same bands i like except Meshuggah and i dont know why..... oh well but its still cool. not to mention that she is also a musician (plays cello and some guitar and sings awsomly) so thats also another plus.

Ok, back on topic....again.

I'm right there with you. My ex-wife was a Madonna/Prince-lovin' gal who just didn't like anything I was into. After the divorce, I met my girlfriend of nearly 3 years now. Not only is she a singer & percussionist (eventually we ended up in End Theory together), but we both worship at the alters of Meshuggah, Dillinger Escape Plan, Opeth, all things Mike Patton related, and all sorts of technical metal. Basically, the crazier the music...the better for her. Hell, we even "consumated" our relationship while watching Death's "Live in LA" DVD! :lol:

For some reason, she still can't get into power metal vocals. Every time I crank up some Maiden, she does her best 80s style metal scream impression. But at the same time, she loves Vortex's operatic vocals in Dimmu Borgir. :scratch:

Woman are twisted creatures, but at least I landed me a metal chick. :hbang:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
distressed_romeo said:
While we're on the FW vs. Queensryche thread, does anyone else think Chris DeGarmo is a massively under-rated guitarist?
Neg.

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
uber_shredo_manifesto said:
Yeah, that's an advantage to my new short hair. All the preppy-insanely-cute girls dig it. The 5 metal chicks within the 6,000 people in my town... are nasty as hell.

oh god shut up about your hair and by the way preppy-insanley-cute-girls=skinny butt ugly eating disoreder clinging head cases :mad: im not in high school anymore and dont really wanna have to hear about the dumb bullshit drama.I suppose im going a lil over board but its quite sickening :rolleyes:

p.s. just because a girl is skinny and has nice clothes doesnt mean there "cute" :noplease:

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
.jason. said:
oh god shut up about your hair and by the way preppy-insanley-cute-girls=skinny butt ugly eating disoreder clinging head cases :mad: im not in high school anymore and dont really wanna have to hear about the dumb bullshit drama.I suppose im going a lil over board but its quite sickening :rolleyes:

p.s. just because a girl is skinny and has nice clothes doesnt mean there "cute" :noplease:

Well, he is a young one.

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
true but i never acted like that its so goddamn annoying i cant not fathom what motivates these "kids"

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
.jason. said:
true but i never acted like that its so goddamn annoying i cant not fathom what motivates these "kids"
^ Cutting your hair for chicks is pretty goofy. However, most kids in that age range have different priorities. You may be the exception to the rule (as was I), but we're in the minority. Other than those goofy comments, he still contributes to the site.

And besides, quit sounding like a damn old fogey. :lol:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
distressed_romeo said:
Dude, i dont think he means that in a negative way. he has like 12 queensryche tattoos. He wants them like you want chocolate ;p

')