Current BC Rich Thread

electriceye

Reaction score
I was skeptical when a new owner took over licensing of the brand two years ago. They came out with a very limited lineup and some hideous finishes. Promised a lot more in the year that followed. Since then, no real new updates. Their twitter and FB accounts are virtually dormant. I know there was/is someone on here who had some insider knowledge, so hoping he can pprovide some insight. As a lifeling BCR fanboy, the past 15 years of the brand flopping around on life support has been sad to see. They completely missed out on the superstrat revival and just can't seem to do anything that registers with people anymore outside of 13-year-old metalheads. It's as if they've disappeared.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???????

What's the story with that?

Some of those involved with the most recent revival of the company were BRJ apologists and defenders. They were going to have him work with the custom shop again and even brought the walking sack of excrement to NAMM.

manu80

Reaction score
well seeing the new ziricote warlock at 1500 euros for a guitar made in China, something is wrong at bc rich.
Some models from 2016 appeared only this year in england. In france nobody stocks them almost....

Yul Brynner

Change my pitch up! Smack my bitch up!
Reaction score
Also don't they know he doesn't actually build guitars? He doesn't even supervise. He's just a "face of the company" guy posting staged pictures and taking in money...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also don't they know he doesn't actually build guitars? He doesn't even supervise. He's just a "face of the company" guy posting staged pictures and taking in money...

That's been BCR in a nutshell for the last decade or two. All image no substance.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
The only thing I ever wanted from BCR was a white baritone 7 string stealth, but I couldn't afford custom shop shit, so that was never going to happen. Nothing else they've ever made has appealed to me, tbh.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only thing I ever wanted from BCR was a white baritone 7 string stealth, but I couldn't afford custom shop shit, so that was never going to happen. Nothing else they've ever made has appealed to me, tbh.

RAN will shamelessly copy BCR shapes, and would probably be cheaper.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
you also forgot to mention that Ran can actually build a good guitar

Typically, though like a lot of brands there are horror stories. I've heard RAN has gotten much more consistent in the last several years.

Though, the BCR Custom Shop never really had a major quality problem in recent memory. They farmed out a lot of the work though.

Yul Brynner

Change my pitch up! Smack my bitch up!
Reaction score
I heard RAN will only do their own shapes now. At least when I wanted a quote for an RGT 7 string style guitar a couple of years ago that's what I was told.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Typically, though like a lot of brands there are horror stories. I've heard RAN has gotten much more consistent in the last several years.

Though, the BCR Custom Shop never really had a major quality problem in recent memory. They farmed out a lot of the work though.

I remember a 7-string archtop Warlock build from the early 2000s that was a complete debacle. I think they tried two rebuilds and took years to make a pile of junk. And I’ve heard that guitars around that time had truss rod issues. I had one that was fine but at the end of its adjustment range.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I love my USA 7 string mockingbird. I commissioned the build in the late 1990's at the same time as a friend, who ordered a king v. A number of months later, I had my guitar, but my friend didn't get his. After many many months passed, with numerous phone calls and no answers, he tried to cancel his order to get his deposit back. Then he received a king v in the mail and it was complete junk. Having laid hands on both my MB7 and his KV6 the first day they arrived, I can honestly say that my guitar turned out perfectly while his was just cheap feeling. The fretwork was fine, but the finish on it was a mess, the wood hadn't been dried/treated properly, the points were broken in shipping, there were problems with the wiring and/or electronics, etc.

I think I dodged a bullet. Then again, my guitar was finished right around the time Bernie Sr. passed away, and I get the feeling that the company has been crumbling apart ever since then.

mastapimp

Reaction score
well seeing the new ziricote warlock at 1500 euros for a guitar made in China, something is wrong at bc rich.
Some models from 2016 appeared only this year in england. In france nobody stocks them almost....

I picked up a brand new b-stock ziricote warlock about 2 months ago for $500 USD. The street price was in the $1000-1200 range depending on if it came with the dimarzio pickup upgrade. For a Chinese guitar I was impressed. The quality was on par with schecter diamond series instruments (the only exception being a mix up in the control wiring). Glad I didn't pay too much more, but it's a fun guitar to play.

I will add that it was very difficult researching this guitar. As others have pointed out, their website doesn't really give you much info (or it's not up to date) and I wasn't seeing them offered or advertised at my usual vendors. You only see the quality issues when you open it up (I adjusted the springs and swapped the pickups to a dimebag set). The guitar arrived with the volume controls in opposite positions from what was logical (neck volume was physically located behind the bridge volume). It was a quick fix when installing the new pickups, but I couldn't find any of the control descriptions anywhere online. I too was left with the impression that B.C. Rich was no longer putting effort into selling these guitars.

zappatton2

Reaction score
I really regret selling my CS '07 Beast and '03 Eagle, they were impeccable guitars. Aside from the Draco and Warbeast, I love, and I mean adoringly, unapologetically LOVE every shape they have. It's sad that they went so downhill and barely register these days. I still do XLS spreadsheets of dream BCR custom orders, but it looks like that will forever be an exercise in fantasy. Maybe Neal will buy the company one day? One can dare to dream!