Current BC Rich Thread

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
The family that have always made BCR & BRJ guitars south of the border do have a few signatures on a build that you can spot but equally those continued in the USA as the guys moved from shop to shop.
BCR hasn't had a body blank come out of Mexico since JR was involved, he got in a lot of trouble for it and that's why their relationship stopped.
All these teaser shots that BCR have been putting out are made in the USA asides from that group shot with the widows which appears to be WMI in Korea.

I do remember the Custom shop models not having a "Made in USA" title below the logo some years ago and this prompted many to say that they were made in Mexico. Bernie Jr had already his own brand by that time, unless he was involved while having his own brand, which is something I do not know.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do remember the Custom shop models not having a "Made in USA" title below the logo some years ago and this prompted many to say that they were made in Mexico. Bernie Jr had already his own brand by that time, unless he was involved while having his own brand, which is something I do not know.

They subcontracted Jr. to build some BCR guitars.

twguitar

Reaction score
IMG_8873.jpg
They subcontracted Jr. to build some BCR guitars.
Yes as part of their 'Master Builder' series. Grover Jackson did those 'gunslingers' and Bernie did a few. Ive got one of those Mockingbirds and it is incredible. Neal Moser did some work on it for me so its like the old ones, carved by the Mexicans for a Rico then Neal doing set up.

777timesgod

Reaction score
View attachment 68114
Yes as part of their 'Master Builder' series. Grover Jackson did those 'gunslingers' and Bernie did a few. Ive got one of those Mockingbirds and it is incredible. Neal Moser did some work on it for me so its like the old ones, carved by the Mexicans for a Rico then Neal doing set up.

I recognised the Neal Table beneath the guitar immediately. He is always a master in his craft. :agreed:
I assume that the work had to do with the electronics?

777timesgod

Reaction score
*Urgent help needed from BC Rich buffs!!!*
I am in negotiations to buy an old Custom shop BC Rich from the 80s. Anyone here remember Pete Blakk from King Diamond, a guy is selling his "Sneaky" Gunslinger and we are talking. I will examine the guitar with a luthier I trust (it has a lot of dings and paint cracks on a first glance, which is natural for tour gear). It looks to be the real deal, as it matched the photos of Pete with it to the smallest detail and looks old enough to match the era it was build in and not be a copy of later times. Please, let me have your thoughts/help on the guitar, if you have any information or want to drop your 2 cents.
Here are the pictures send to me by the seller, he has been trying to sell it for quite a while which worries me but then again BC Rich is not popular this side of Europe as I see many models going for dirt cheap or being for sale indefinitely with little interest.
45804856_553209448465688_5390953902382252032_n.jpg 45827569_478445052648077_7469659361443315712_n.jpg 45965155_361212858018256_3978284685657636864_n.jpg 46089496_334817307303299_19207922676400128_n.jpg 600x600.jpg 45919577_2125014281149736_8602573375082070016_n.jpg

777timesgod

Reaction score
Some more pics, looking forward to some wisdom from you guys.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 45884717_2299326760108761_5263766309996331008_n.jpg
    45884717_2299326760108761_5263766309996331008_n.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 45872638_380981146041876_2505433240425201664_n.jpg
    45872638_380981146041876_2505433240425201664_n.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 18
  • received_1639381453034582.jpeg
    received_1639381453034582.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 19

777timesgod

Reaction score
Looks like it's taken a shot or two against that headstock. :(
True, but that paint is likely less flexible/elastic than the wood under it. It could very well still be A-OK, structurally.

Indeed, the guitar is worn but I cannot see something which is a deal-breaker yet. I am very sceptical though and worry that during the examination something nasty will pop up. The owner claims that the guitar does not have any repairs of serious issues but was not serviced for a long time until he did so this year. This week it will be checked by a luthier of my choice and I will assess the situation from there.

Anyone to comment if its an original one? No serial number but then again it was a custom order for an endorser during the 80s, so it is not odd. Looks identical to the pics of Pete and I am wondering why go to the trouble of copying it to such a degree, when you can do that with a Gibson Les Paul of a Fender strat and sell them quick to someone who does not have the knowledge to distinguish.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone to comment if its an original one? No serial number but then again it was a custom order for an endorser during the 80s, so it is not odd. Looks identical to the pics of Pete and I am wondering why go to the trouble of copying it to such a degree, when you can do that with a Gibson Les Paul of a Fender strat and sell them quick to someone who does not have the knowledge to distinguish.

I could be completely talking out my ass, but if it's one of the custom ones that was started in Mexico and brought up to the States for finishing (asstalking part), I think I remember some BC Rich people saying some didn't have serials.

I've seen guitars with far more severe cracks that still held their tune. That thing is probably just a beat up road warrior with a lot of personality. If the white seal under the paint isn't cracked, you're probably good to go. The neck thru looks pretty solid too. I've seen some older BC Rich's with the seam showing.

twguitar

Reaction score
BC Rich endorsee guitars very rarely have serial numbers, especially in this era. Those Floyd nuts are a stupid design, why would anyone want two holes in the most fragile part of the guitar but I agree it just looks like finish cracking rather than anything more.
Seems to match up to me, only way to confirm would be asking the original artist (He's on FB, I have mutual friends). I say go for it as long as its a sensible price!

777timesgod

Reaction score
I could be completely talking out my ass, but if it's one of the custom ones that was started in Mexico and brought up to the States for finishing (asstalking part), I think I remember some BC Rich people saying some didn't have serials.

I've seen guitars with far more severe cracks that still held their tune. That thing is probably just a beat up road warrior with a lot of personality. If the white seal under the paint isn't cracked, you're probably good to go. The neck thru looks pretty solid too. I've seen some older BC Rich's with the seam showing.

Indeed, Mexico was always a source for BC Rich, whether we are talking body blanks or luthiers. I remember a video of Mal Stich (who worked there in the early days) that many luthiers were ”wetbacks”, which as I googled is a slur for illegal Mexican immigrants who crossed the Rio Grande river to get to the states.
We know in this forum that the body blanks from Mexico practise continued with Bernie Jr. I suspect that BC Rich did this also, which is why the ”Made in USA” logo was not on many CS models during the early 2010s.
I did hear good things about the body blanks being made there. It is shame that more casual players do not appreciate guitars being build by luthiers outside the states, we have seen some great stuff coming from elsewhere and some stinkers from the states, as well as vice-versa. The internet exposure seems to be rectifying this to a degree, which is a positive thing.
I am in contact with the luthier/technician who serviced it. Lets see what he has to say about it.

BC Rich endorsee guitars very rarely have serial numbers, especially in this era. Those Floyd nuts are a stupid design, why would anyone want two holes in the most fragile part of the guitar but I agree it just looks like finish cracking rather than anything more.
Seems to match up to me, only way to confirm would be asking the original artist (He's on FB, I have mutual friends). I say go for it as long as its a sensible price!

I was checking a Brian Hoffman CS Beast (NT, kahlered with 22 frets and a big distance between the neck and bridge humbuckers). I do not remember seeing a serial for that but I could be wrong.
Totally agree about the Floyd nuts behind the neck, fortunately they seem to be taking the road to extinction in our time. I always wince when I see them on a guitar.

Thank you both for your output, if I move forward at the end, there will be an NGD thread (this would delay my purchase of a new 7 unfortunately).

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
We know in this forum that the body blanks from Mexico practise continued with Bernie Jr. I suspect that BC Rich did this also, which is why the ”Made in USA” logo was not on many CS models during the early 2010s.
I did hear good things about the body blanks being made there. It is shame that more casual players do not appreciate guitars being build by luthiers outside the states, we have seen some great stuff coming from elsewhere and some stinkers from the states, as well as vice-versa. The internet exposure seems to be rectifying this to a degree, which is a positive thing.
I am in contact with the luthier/technician who serviced it. Lets see what he has to say about it.

I've got a BRJ at my place right now from the Black Friday sale that I'm completing for Holloway. The work is not really up to snuff from a lot of the other BRJ guitars I've seen. I've managed to clean up 99% of hte issues, but there are some choices that were made that just boggle me. :/ Just be wary.

When i start doing customer builds again, i was planning to brand "Built In Canada" on the back. :)

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When i start doing customer builds again, i was planning to brand "Built In Canada" on the back. :)

I remember when builders used to put all kinds of information on their guitars. Stuff like specs, when it was made, who commissioned it, who worked on it, any pet names for the instrument, where it was made, etc. It was kind of a cool, personal touch. I'm sure most builders would do it if asked, it just used to be the default.

I know some old school shops still do it, like Spector, Conklin, and Alembic.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember when builders used to put all kinds of information on their guitars. Stuff like specs, when it was made, who commissioned it, who worked on it, any pet names for the instrument, where it was made, etc. It was kind of a cool, personal touch. I'm sure most builders would do it if asked, it just used to be the default.

I know some old school shops still do it, like Spector, Conklin, and Alembic.

When a customer and I agree on doing a project together, I arrange for a Skype session while I'm walking around one of the biggest wood suppliers in North America. That way even if i happen to pass something that catches someone's eye, they have the chance to ask about it or just ask for it to be on their guitar. I had a guy completely change the woods used in his build just because I showed him what burled amboyna looks like in person. I love putting up the build stories on Facebook. Gotta keep in the fun and excitement in there otherwise it becomes a job. :(

I did deliver a guitar after 4 years and 5 attempts (every attempt failed I offered a refund but he insisted I build it). After the second attempt, the build was actually referred to as my nemesis. I check in on it from time to time but the owner is still loving it as his #1. At the end of it, I made a lifetime friend because of the whole rollercoaster ride together.

777timesgod

Reaction score
I've got a BRJ at my place right now from the Black Friday sale that I'm completing for Holloway. The work is not really up to snuff from a lot of the other BRJ guitars I've seen. I've managed to clean up 99% of hte issues, but there are some choices that were made that just boggle me. :/ Just be wary.

Well, during the later stage of BRJ's situation, there was massive pressure to complete guitars. Perhaps it was transmitted from Bernie to the Mexican luthiers, I do not know if anyone found out who they are actually.
Saw a CS Jr. V on reverb the other day build by Bernie in 2010 if I am not mistaken and it did not have a "Made in the USA" on the headstock. Perhaps he used the same guys for the commissioned pieces.

You do not have to put "Build in Canada" on the back, 3 words is overkill. Just write "Sorry" and people will know.:lol:

Latest posts