So it begins: My Yeti-Clone amp build

• Thread starter Mr Wright
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Wright

Reaction score
I decided to try my hand at a Marshall style build and after some looking around I decided to try one using Ceriatone's Yeti layout. I know I could get a better made amp for less money if I just purchased one from Nik at Ceriatone, but this project is about the personal satisfaction of sourcing the parts and building an amp myself. (I'll try my hand at circuit design instead of copying someone else's on a future build).

Here are a couple shots of beginning to lay out the tubes and transformers on the awesome custom chassis that I got from Brian at Dirty Dawg Amps. The transformers and choke are Classic Tone by Magnetic Components.

I will include more pics as I get free evenings to work on it.

While building my first amp I watched exclusively scifi movies and tv. I think I made it through all of the Alien series, the Matrix trilogy, and Virtuosity on HBOgo. Any suggestions on streaming scifi to watch while at work on this thing? I think Event Horizon is first on the list since it is October and all!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    629.2 KB · Views: 74
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    646.7 KB · Views: 50

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Youne

Reaction score
I'm curious.. Let's see it ! :D
What' the specs do you want to do? It looks like a 50W amp ??

:cheers:

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
What' the specs do you want to do? It looks like a 50W amp ??

I would bet on that too, 4x El84 (or another octal poweramp tube) usually run at about those wattage.

Following this for sure. Not many amp building threads on this forum, the more the merrier!

Good luck!

Mr Wright

Reaction score
It'll be 100W or around there. Four EL34Bs with three 12AX7s in the preamp. Since I've heard nothing but praise for the EL34Bs, I thought I would try them. All of the tubes will be Tung-Sols.

EL84s are actually noval tubes and will fit in the same little sockets as the 12ax7s. They're lovely little tubes, and I have some in my first amp build.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
EL84s are actually noval tubes and will fit in the same little sockets as the 12ax7s. They're lovely little tubes, and I have some in my first amp build.

... next time I'll wait after my second coffee to post in that thread. That way maybe I'll stop looking so stupid :lol:

So, a 100w JCM800 clone? Awesome :agreed:

Mr Wright

Reaction score
"Measure twice, cut once" only works when you have the correct tools.

First little hiccup of the build. My hole cutter is 1/16th of an inch too small for my octal sockets. I had to run to one of the bigbox guys in town to get a stepperbit or unibit or whatever folks call them in order to enlarge the holes. I also got final socket slightly off kilter, but that isn't a big deal.

Pictures shortly.
The girlfriend has a work trip next weekend so I'll get more time to work then.

And in slightly unrelated news I also got some roller stands so I can plane the maple and basswood lumber I have with less trouble. The wood will eventually be used in my first guitar builds. I also made progress with my head cab for my first build and I'll probably attempt my first ever tolex job this week. Pics of all this later as well.

CD1221

Reaction score
Home baked amps, even kit amps, are freaking awesome. Good luck, sir.

Also, don't electrocute yourself, that would be bad.

Mr Wright

Reaction score
I've been mostly lazy this weekend and watched horror movies, but I did get some work done. I fixed the tube sockets the rest of the way and then I mapped out the main board, drilled the turret holes, and started to hammer in the turrets. None of what I drilled out is perfectly lined up, but if anything that shows I'm doing it myself.

That brings us to hiccup #2. Apparently 50 turret lugs was not enough for this build, but no big deal I just order some more and wait a few days.

I'm keeping my tradition of watching sci fi while working, but with the horror twist for Halloween. So far I've watched Event Horizon, Hardware, Leviathan, and a few scifi shows.

Slowly making progress. It gets hard to fit build time in between work time, lady time, and dude time.

Attachments

• Board 2.jpg
    Board 2.jpg
    829 KB · Views: 15
  • Tube Sockets.jpg
    Tube Sockets.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 15
  • Setting Up.jpg
    Setting Up.jpg
    721.2 KB · Views: 21

Mr Wright

Reaction score
slclVsw.jpg

ba1Vw8p.jpg

gTc40S2.jpg

WSTsATY.jpg

dVAbJJw.jpg

I hope my photo links work. If not I may need some help.

Progress Report!
Board finished.
Chassis fully drilled (I think) and painted.
Transformers bolted on.

Had some ugly soldering around the larger leads for the diodes, the IEC hole was hell to cut, and I scratched the paint a little, but otherwise all goes well.

')