So it looks like I/Periphery are going to sign with Ibanez! Need to spec the LACS7!!

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mat091285

Reaction score
Sorry to hear no fixed edge 7 ... Hey Bulb have you tried the RGA7 with the Gibraltar Standard-7 bridge? Would you be using an Ibanez 7 substitute guitar in the upcoming gigs before you get ur LACS?

So a few updates here for you guys.
I have decided to just go with Alder body and quilt maple top. ibanez say it should sound great and it wont be too bright.
im going to see if they can do a cocobolo veneer for the back of the guitar which would be nice, and see if they will do a ziricote or cocobolo fretboard, if they wont then ill just go with a flame maple board.

as far as the bridge goes, im going to be forced to get a regular trem and have them block it, they said they built two bridges for dino and those are the only two out there so ill be forced to get either an edge pro or edge zero, im leaning towards the pro but im open to suggestions, what do you guys think would be better given that im just trying to block it anyway?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
I personally prefer maple as well. :lol: I just figured sometimes it's better to throw down a little cash if it makes the difference between something being what you really want or something being what you kinda want, especially when that item will be around for a while. So I wasn't sure if you were aware how relatively cheap ziricote boards are.

I am a bit curious though, have you talked to them about a flamed maple board? I've been told by other builders that flame maple is inherently soft and not typically suitable for a fingerboard. I imagine there are different species of the wood that exhibit flame though possibly, so maybe different ones are harder then others.

I havent talked to them about it yet, probably going to send in the specs tonite, but i used to have an old japanese made 550 that had a flamed neck and board, so perhaps they can work something out, between flame and birdseye i dont really care what combo they do for either, but ideally birdseye neck and flame board would be nice!

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
The Edge Pro is a pain to restrin for me. i think the Zero has the thumbscrews further back and would be much easier to get an allen wrench in there to the string lock screws.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
it might have been his 8, if he got it on his 7 then im in luck!!
alder/mahogany is just because im picky and cant choose, alder will be djentier and mahogany will be a little fuller, but the maple top is thick and will brighten the tone, and i worry that just alder might be a bit bright, then again my vigier is that combo, but the top is a lot thinner...i just figured the mahogany layer might allow for the best aspects of both woods...is this is a stupid idea?

Misha, my experience with an all Alder body is that it is actually not as bright as you might think. More round if anything but still spanky and with quick attack. Much fuller in the midrange than in the bottom end. Mind you my Fender is 27 inch scale. I think you'd be safe with all alder if you get the right pickup combo, the mahogany may darken/loosen it up too much depending on the size of the sandwich. Not entirely sure though but I do know all Alder bodies sound killer if the wood is chosen well.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
here is what i mean . this is the low B with my allen wrench hitting the top of the thumbscrew. VERY annoying.

1266983196.jpg

If im blatently failing at something, some one please tell me. :lol:

EDIT

lol at reflection of girl standing in front of souped up 911 Turbo.

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
here is what i mean . this is the low B with my allen wrench hitting the top of the thumbscrew. VERY annoying.

1266983196.jpg

If im blatently failing at something, some one please tell me. :lol:

EDIT

lol at reflection of girl standing in front of souped up 911 Turbo.
Wow that's lame...the RG1527 has been my dream 7 for awhile now, glad they have edge zero's now :p. I'd say sink the screw until you get clearance, then bring it back up to level...

bulb

Reaction score
that sucks! i just feel like an edge zero might be a bit overkill for a fixed bridge
and the added benefit of not having to cut off the ball end of the string on an edge pro is nice!

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
You don't really have to cut the ball ends off on floyds. I just string the string through the tuner pull it snug so the ball end rests on the machine head and then snip the excess and lock it in the floyd.

Its basically like having reverse locking tuners that are on the bridge instead of the headstock. You just have to make sure not to snip too much off. :ugh:

I would just prefer the edge pro for feel, it really gets the fine tuners out of the way for playing. Oh and It'll be easier to block an edge pro too.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
Just catching this, wanted to say congrats, Misha! Now get your band's ass down to the southeast so I can see you do your thing! :D

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
that sucks! i just feel like an edge zero might be a bit overkill for a fixed bridge
and the added benefit of not having to cut off the ball end of the string on an edge pro is nice!

ABout that....

the string ball usually pops out of that channel it sets in and makes it a TOTAL BITCH to get out. I cut off the ball ends as its easier in the long run, just sayin. :lol:

im not a fan i you haven't noticed. ;)

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly i like big frets so much, ill just get regular 6000 frets if necessary.

allparts makes 6000 equivalent stainless frets. its like 18 bucks retail for enough for 1 guitar

lava

Gelatinous
Reaction score
Someone on this forum had an rg body made and just had the maker only route screw holes for the trem so instead of it mounting onto a sustain block the mounting screws went directly into the body from the base plate.

That's what I was thinking. Why even have the sustain block at all, just mount the bridge sans block right to the body. Then again I haven't ever looked under the saddles of my Floyd to see if there are holes under there for this purpose. But you could just add countersunk holes on the side flanges.

splinter8451

Reaction score
ABout that....

the string ball usually pops out of that channel it sets in and makes it a TOTAL BITCH to get out. I cut off the ball ends as its easier in the long run, just sayin. :lol:

im not a fan i you haven't noticed. ;)

That has never happened on my Jem... I have 10 gauge light top heavy bottoms in it.

Regardless of whether or not the ball is in there the string should still be snug enough in the saddle after you tighten it down that it is not going anywhere :spock: When I take the strings out I loosen the saddle lock thingy back enough that I know the ball end will fit up through and pull it out.

Sorry I do not quite understand what you mean :lol:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I also have an RG1527 and I've NEVER had a problem with my allen wrench hitting the thumbscrews, although I still have an official Ibanez-sanctioned allen wrench, so it may be shorter than one you pick up in stores.

I have experienced the issue with trying to get the ball end out of the edge pro after the string breaks though, that can definitely be a pain, but not enough to put me off it though.

bulb

Reaction score
in the end i decided to go with the edge zero bridge!

scratch that, they told me an edge pro would be easier and more appropriate to block haha!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score

scratch that, they told me an edge pro would be easier and more appropriate to block haha!

did you ask them to convert it into a fixed bridge like the meshuggah ones, or maybe route a hole for the sustain block so they could slop it right in? or are you just going to put wooden blocks or a tremol-no in it? seems like a waste of space and springs in my mind, but of course it works, so...

Neil

Reaction score
I havent had the two bridges side by side to compare, but from what I remember the Edge Pro felt like it locked the strings a lot better than the Zero on my S7, I didnt like that locking mechanism at all, felt cheap.

Also why bother with the Zero if you are getting rid of the adjustment lol, I know your not paying but still :p

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I havent had the two bridges side by side to compare, but from what I remember the Edge Pro felt like it locked the strings a lot better than the Zero on my S7, I didnt like that locking mechanism at all, felt cheap.

Also why bother with the Zero if you are getting rid of the adjustment lol, I know your not paying but still :p

read the post again dude, he´s getting an edge pro.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
blah i was looking forward to seeing Periphery live, gotta miss it, damn you court in another province (shakes fist, but bad guys must go down)

')