So, my Toneport died yesterday...

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
:wallbash:

:scream:

Now I'm without an amp or a modeller!

I have nothing to play through, this fucking sucks. It'll be a couple of weeks before my Engl fund (401k loan) gets here. Any suggestions to tide me over?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
Scoure the Bays of E for a cheap FX box.

Actually, a digitech RP 50 is pretty good I hear and they're pretty cheap too.

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
Man you're dipping into the 401k for an amp? I'd just save up...

With that said, sucks about the toneport :noplease:

janne_oksanen

Reaction score
Depends on how cheap you are. I'm cheap enough to own a Behringer V-amp2 and I find it's a real bargain for the price. You should be able to find them for less than 50 bucks if you can handle a hand-me-down.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
That sucks. The headphone out on my Toneport crapped out recently, but I don't really use headphones anyways.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Man you're dipping into the 401k for an amp? I'd just save up...

With that said, sucks about the toneport :noplease:

It's impossible for me to save money right now. I can take interest free loans out of my 401k that automatically go back in by small paycheck deductions that I don't even notice. No biggie to me :shrug: It doesn't diminish my retirement fund at all, I still earn on the money I borrow. Keep in mind I sold my UL for $1600 and ended up running into a bunch of shit that ate that up, I need an amp!!!

That sucks. The headphone out on my Toneport crapped out recently, but I don't really use headphones anyways.

The input fried on mine!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's impossible for me to save money right now. I can take interest free loans out of my 401k that automatically go back in by small paycheck deductions that I don't even notice. No biggie to me :shrug: It doesn't diminish my retirement fund at all, I still earn on the money I borrow. Keep in mind I sold my UL for $1600 and ended up running into a bunch of shit that ate that up, I need an amp!!!

[off topic]
It's riiskier than you think, though. True, you're basically paying yourself interest on the loan, but you're depreciating the current worth of your 401k. If you were to suddenly lose your job and have to rely on your 401k to make ends meet for several months (as a job termination is a "qualifying event"), then your available revinue is your total 401k balance minus the amount still outstanding on your loan. Additionally, contributions that could have gone to the 401k itself that would have then appreciated for the next 20-odd years before you retire will now be used to pay back the loan, and 3-4k at 5% a year for 20 years is a not insubstantial chunk of change.

Still, it's probably better than throwing the whole balance on your credit card. :lol:

[/off topic]

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Look for a Zoom GM200 on eBay. It's the only decent thing Zoom ever made. ;)

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
[off topic]
It's riiskier than you think, though. True, you're basically paying yourself interest on the loan, but you're depreciating the current worth of your 401k. If you were to suddenly lose your job and have to rely on your 401k to make ends meet for several months (as a job termination is a "qualifying event"), then your available revinue is your total 401k balance minus the amount still outstanding on your loan. Additionally, contributions that could have gone to the 401k itself that would have then appreciated for the next 20-odd years before you retire will now be used to pay back the loan, and 3-4k at 5% a year for 20 years is a not insubstantial chunk of change.

Still, it's probably better than throwing the whole balance on your credit card. :lol:

[/off topic]

Nah, my job's not going anywhere. I'm the top performing store manager in the district of a 2+ billion dollar auto parts company. Been there for over 6 years. I don't see the risk in it! Plus, I still contribute as much as I always do to my 410k every check. Besides, I've already learned to live without money... But I can't live without an amp!!! I've been broke since December, without a penny of spending money. BUT, in 17 years of playing guitar I've never been without an amp before! I don't even have a way to test pedals as of yesterday :eek: It's an important investment to my other business :yesway: and only an SE will do!

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
:funny:

At least it's not your computer that's broken. I have a TonePort that I can't use right now for at least another week while I wait for the service center to fix it back up.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
The input fried on mine!

I actually opened the thing to see if it was something I could fix. There was still sound coming from the phones, but it's so quiet you can just barely hear it if you crank the volume. I couldn't get under the damn board, so I gave up.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I actually opened the thing to see if it was something I could fix. There was still sound coming from the phones, but it's so quiet you can just barely hear it if you crank the volume. I couldn't get under the damn board, so I gave up.

I can't get the damn thing open!

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't get the damn thing open!

Yeah, it took me a while to figure it out. :lol: You have to take off all the screws on the front and back of the unit (including all the thingies that hold the jacks in place). Then just pull the two halves apart. You probably need to remove the knobs and unscrew the pots from the top of the unit to get to the board. I gave up at this point because the knobs wouldn't budge with moderate force. :ugh: