So, Ryan Adams...

• Thread starter Drew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's always pretty telling when they go for the "...dose not recall..." defense.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Listen, I can't even defend the guy here. This wasn't the first story I saw, a buddy who's also a fan texted me a different one last night that pulled way fewer punches and just laid it out, and reading it my first thought from the very start was "yeah, this all feels pretty damned credible."

It sucks because I love this guy's music - I've joked for a while now that I have an ex girlfriend who I dated during an absolutely awful professional period (we met the weekend before I started that job, and broke up two weeks after I quit with nothing else lined up because I couldn't cope any more and I decided I'd rather focus on passing the CFA exam), and I always joked the two things I was most grateful to her for was keeping me from drinking myself to death and introducing me to Ryan Adams' music, and if I had to pick just one it'd probably be Ryan Adams. :/

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry, dude.

I can't say that I know exactly how you feel, but I understand the significance that music attached to milestones in our lives can be. I can only image the stain something like this would put on those memories.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yup, basically. :lol:

Eh, it could be worse. Adams was a guy I never really personally admired - his drug problems, he was known for storming off stage halfway through a set at least once a tour, his first band Whiskeytown basically imploded because of how much of an asshole he was, etc etc etc... But beyond that he wrote some amazing music. He just also turned out to be a low-key sexual predator, it seems.

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
It's ok to separate the art from the artist.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing that as hard as I can. :lol:

I was just talking with my ex who turned me onto his music (we broke up but managed to remain friends). She was saying how she'd always been a Woody Allan fan but stopped watching his movies after the stories about him came out, but Ryan Adams' music is just a little too core to her identity for her to do that here. I totally get that.

I'll just have to pirate his future releases, I guess. :lol:

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
curious to see how this plays out, and what if any effect it will actually have on adams' career.
I actually got into him because I found his wasted years cover (which is great btw):

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I mean, the stories are both believable, and the evidence is pretty solid, including texts with a girl who was at the time 13. My first question would be if he manages to stay out oif jail.

Beyond that, he's had long running mental issues, he's rolling the dice staying out on the road with his history of drug problems, and his hearing is shot partly due to stage volume and partly due to some illness. I wouldn't be shocked if this pushes him out of the public eye and he just takes a back seat and runs his studio, but then again this is the guy who's so obsessive-compulsive that he (is or was) slated to release three albums this year, so who knows.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Finally, someone to take the spotlight off of Liam Neeson!

540.jpg

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Woody Allan
+1

I think it's important to be able to do this for a whole bunch of reasons. Not the least of which is that the pure volume of people of dubious moral fiber out there means that you can't avoid consuming products made by people you would think are sh*tty if you knew any better. Even in local scenes, there's some pretty talented *sshats out there. (In both senses.)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
+1

I think it's important to be able to do this for a whole bunch of reasons. Not the least of which is that the pure volume of people of dubious moral fiber out there means that you can't avoid consuming products made by people you would think are sh*tty if you knew any better. Even in local scenes, there's some pretty talented *sshats out there. (In both senses.)
Yeah, the sad reality is this is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Aside from hearing a couple of his Taylor swift covers on the radio, I don’t even know if I actually have heard any of his own music. Thank Christ my initial misread of the thread title was wrong. For a second, I was worried there was going be something terrible about Bryan Adams, and that wouldn’t be cool at all.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Thank Christ my initial misread of the thread title was wrong.
I think it's sort of telling of the state of things when a thread title made up of nothing more than an artists name makes you think "Oh no, don't tell me they discovered this guy is THE WORST PERSON too", as opposed to "Oh hey, I'm a fan of that guy, I bet there's good stuff in this thread".

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
For a second, I was worried there was going be something terrible about Bryan Adams, and that wouldn’t be cool at all.
Ditto. I was even second-guessing myself, thinking "Wait, his name has a B in front of it, right? Right??"
I think it's sort of telling of the state of things when a thread title made up of nothing more than an artists name makes you think "Oh no, don't tell me they discovered this guy is THE WORST PERSON too"
Well, in the late 90s, Bryan Adams was a pretty popular punching bag. He's already gone through the whole "He's the worst person EVARR" thing once before. :lol:

Of course, history has definitely been kinder to his music, in the same way as it's been to Michael Jackson's, whose music was also mocked heavily in that same time period. A lot of people forget that there was a period of several years where his (and Adams') music was absolutely reviled in the public consciousness, and for Jackson, it was only a few years before his death that he really came out from under that and suddenly became popular again. I'd venture to say that it took even longer for Adams to get to that point.

Granted, Jackson's legacy still bears the stain of his whole situation with kids and Neverland Ranch. Thankfully Bryan Adams doesn't have anything like that.

...to my knowledge.

...yet.

:ugh:

Last edited:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thankfully Bryan Adams doesn't have anything like that.

...to my knowledge.

...yet.

:ugh:
Honestly, if you'd asked me to put money on which one had a thing for an underage girl, Ryan Adams or Bryan Adams, I'd have bet on the latter. :lol: