So, that B stock a legator arrived.

• Thread starter Lord Voldemort
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
Jeez that pickup route is horrendous. It's still $179, I guess it's worth the risk. I'd personally call it a C-Stock but if it plays and sounds good that's all that matters.

Eh, yeah.

The string alignment and the pickup routing are, just, yeah. Haha, I've got some luthiery tools coming in today from Stew Mac, let's see what I can do.

QUADDITY

Reaction score
Thanks for the update! Will be watching to see what you do with yours. I'm going to have mine setup in the next couple of weeks. The setup is OK now but I'm sure will be better after it's gone through.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
God I remember last year I went to get a bunch of strings from the local GC and some boomer was telling anybody that would listen about how his son is in a band and has an endorsement deal with Legator. I was just thinking congratulations... What did he have to do, tweet them an offer?

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
Ugh, so I've replaced the pickups and done some fret filing.

I've gotta say, just honestly, this guitar sucks. The frets need way more thorough leveling that I initially anticipated, and I'm no expert in leveling frets. The bridge is permanently slanted, no fixing that one, and when I swapped the pups I really got a Birdseye view of that routing. Just terrible.

I was really anticipating a much better guitar. I'm honestly shocked that Legator are selling these at all as opposed to taking them apart and using them for parts, as even as a B stock they're just made inherently wrong in several ways and that reflects so incredibly poorly on the brand. How are they still in business?

I've ordered an Agile Septor 727, I'm excited to compare them.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I've ordered an Agile Septor 727, I'm excited to compare them.

lol, not even gunna be a comparison. Even if it is, the cool thing about Agile is the insane return policy they have. Kurt will take care of you. Legator...not so much.
Predictable result, but still a bummer you got a kinda-guitar. Oh well. It's always a fun experiment at least.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
For a guitar that's $179 to have some of the issues that you're describing is honestly fine. Another $200ish invested and you have more guitar than you've paid for. Neck pickup route is... Iffy. You could cut a block, glue it in and re-route the slot. Not as egregious as $4k Gibsons coming out of a box needing a fret level and crowning and having finish issues.

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
For a guitar that's $179 to have some of the issues that you're describing is honestly fine. Another $200ish invested and you have more guitar than you've paid for. Neck pickup route is... Iffy. You could cut a block, glue it in and re-route the slot. Not as egregious as $4k Gibsons coming out of a box needing a fret level and crowning and having finish issues.

I profoundly disagree, based upon other guitars that cost $179. I don't know what criteria you're using for your opinion, but my two Squiers (affinity and vintage modified), Epiphone, Ibanez and bass guitar were all below or around that price.

There's some small issues for sure, but even the cheapest ones don't have literal permanent issues like a bridge that fucks up the string alignment so the spacing is uneven, coupled with the pickups being put in randomly angled so the pole pieces don't line up. That's a defective guitar, and it shouldn't be sold at all.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I profoundly disagree, based upon other guitars that cost $179. I don't know what criteria you're using for your opinion, but my two Squiers (affinity and vintage modified), Epiphone, Ibanez and bass guitar were all below or around that price.

There's some small issues for sure, but even the cheapest ones don't have literal permanent issues like a bridge that fucks up the string alignment so the spacing is uneven, coupled with the pickups being put in randomly angled so the pole pieces don't line up. That's a defective guitar, and it shouldn't be sold at all.

Man, I've seen PLENTY guitars in that price range from the above mentioned companies with similar issues. To me, in that price range you're looking at a toy or a test instrument to see if your kid will connect to it. Beyond that, why spend the money on it? That's having worked in a Guitar Shop selling them. YMMV, but that's based on what I've pulled out of boxes myself.

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
Man, I've seen PLENTY guitars in that price range from the above mentioned companies with similar issues. To me, in that price range you're looking at a toy or a test instrument to see if your kid will connect to it. Beyond that, why spend the money on it? That's having worked in a Guitar Shop selling them. YMMV, but that's based on what I've pulled out of boxes myself.

It's funny how two different players can have such different perspectives on guitars. I don't think that lower priced are toys at all, in fact generally I just see them as the same thing as high priced guitars made by foreign luthiers with worse parts. But I'm not like, a collecter kind of dude, I am a player. I just want them made dimensionally correct, I'll take care of the rest if need be. Rarely do I see a major brand offering a cheap guitar that is dimensionally and fundamentally made incorrectly, at least to the degree that I see here.

The Legator was made wrong, and is mechanically unsalvagable.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
ITT:

Sometimes people think, "hey, that price is so low, it sounds like you get a lot more than what you pay for." But then they get what they pay for, and they say...hmm, that's disappointing.

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
ITT:

Sometimes people think, "hey, that price is so low, it sounds like you get a lot more than what you pay for." But then they get what they pay for, and they say...hmm, that's disappointing.

I can't really argue with that. I've had an extraordinary lucky track record with affordable guitars, apparently.

')