So, the rg2228...

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Well, i tried one out, and it kind of weirded me out a fair bit, how long did it take everyone to get used to it? Right now I am actually not sure if it is for me! I did get a bit more used to it towards the end, but really couldn't think of what to do with that low f#!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I didnt have an adjustment period, its just another string to me, same as it was easy to go from sixes to sevens for me, the 8 string just has another string. I did find myself wanting to play a lot of string skipping octave stuff between the F# string and the E string, and of course just banging out countless riffs on the lower registers sounds absolutely monsterous.

I love my RG2228!

arktan

Icnomptenent
Reaction score
You don't know what to do with the F#? I can't live without it anymore :agreed:

It didn't take me long to get used to it (about a week), the only problem is: when you're used to it, all other guitars except for baritone-sevens feel like toys...:lol:

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
You don't know what to do with the F#? I can't live without it anymore :agreed:

It didn't take me long to get used to it (about a week), the only problem is: when you're used to it, all other guitars except for baritone-sevens feel like toys...:lol:

very true. when i play my 6 stringers i always end up reaching for more strings. haha

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I did get a bit more used to it towards the end, but really couldn't think of what to do with that low f#!

I'm in the same boat. It's too damn low. The scale's kinda fuckity to use a high string with, too.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
i think part of the issue is that it really doesnt have a practical application in straight metal.
Its much better suited to ultramodern time-broken *core music, and wierd alternative/progressive metal/heavy rock shit. It really just sounds out of place in any sort of normal time table. play awkward broken timings though, and it suddenly fits perfectly

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
i think part of the issue is that it really doesnt have a practical application in straight metal.
Its much better suited to ultramodern time-broken *core music, and wierd alternative/progressive metal/heavy rock shit. It really just sounds out of place in any sort of normal time table. play awkward broken timings though, and it suddenly fits perfectly

:agreed: And don't forget Jazz!

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard some of the stuff by Collibus (Stephen the guitarist is on here), and they do melodic Progressive Metal, and they are starting to use the 2228's, and it doesn't sound like Polyrhythmic madness, far from it, its very very good too :D

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score

this is a ridiculous statement. that's the same mentality as saying using a seven string is only good for playing nu metal korn garbage. i use 8 strings and play blistering grindcore which is about as brutally metal as it gets and i don't find my self reaching for start/stop mesh* stuff.

:argue::duel:

we're still pals though:D

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Crucified -

1. I know, I know. But please, watch that kinda talk. Just be safe rather than sorry. Even if Max is good people.

2. I agree with you. I know what Max is saying, but that's less a function of its real use, and rather more the lower range's perceived use.

Zimbloth tunes to A, (heard him tune lower a time or two), doesn't play that Meshuggah derived shit, and owns with metal.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
allow me to ammend my statement :lol:, that did sound pretty ignorant as it was. no offense taken kev ;)
[size=-2]Now give me the rg8[/size]

Ive gotten to the point where other stuff sounds good with it, but only recently. I dont play any of the type of stuff i mentioned at all, and i have tremendous 8 string gas :lol:. at first though, it does to many people ive noticed, including myself, sound really really out of place in the same music we play/listen to using 6/7 strings. I personally had to get used to it. it was just a large tonal change that i had to adapt to. after listening to it more often ive grown to like it quite a bit, but to many people it does legitimately seem out of place. at least at first. Im not saying 8 strings are bad (for christ sake i had my carvin tuned to low e for a long time), but they do take getting used to for a lot of people. That makes it hard to use in a metal setting, not necessarily from a players standpoint, but from the standpoint of winning over an audience, know what i mean?

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
let me just add that the closest band i can think of to my bands music (for which i frequently play a 7, and want an 8) is audiovent :lol:

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
yeah, sorry if that came off as snippy. I played a show in vancouver last night, slept for like, an hour and a half and then took a ferry home and then to work. no offense meant in anyones direction. I'm just sayin', 8 strings are dope! :lol:

Heavy Ed

singlecoil goodness
Reaction score
I got to try out a 2228 at Mannys in NYC over the weekend.
Now I'm GASsing HARD, and this site doesn't help!:lol:

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
no offense taken mang. and i agree :lol:

[size=-2]now seriously, sell me the fucking RG8[/size] :lol:

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
pony up some double digit pricing and im in :lol:

James. see if you cant try it out a few more times and get used to it

also, dont be afraid to powerchord the fuck out of the F# for an hour or so and get it out of your system :lol:

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
i got a question for you rg2228 guys, i dunno if its been covered on here or not but i'm wondering if the lower horn was widened or not to accomodate the wider neck? or is the RG2228 body still the same dimensions as a regular RG?

')