So this diet & exercise-thing actually works?!

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
^ The problem is when you suck at pretty much everything :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

avenger

Reaction score
Yeah well other then work and working out my main hobbies are guitar and sex. Don't have time or desire for sports really.

Workouts are getting easier less "wtf am I doning moments" and starting to get stronger.

Sjusovaren

7-string n00b
Reaction score
Thanks guys. :) These last couple of days have been pretty hell-ish and there's more to come, but I just gotta look at the light at the end of the tunnel and keep at it. :) I don't really feel like going back to being a Swedish meatball. :D

ttr398

Reaction score
Very nice work! I started properly dieting & exercising in November, starting with no cardio, only weights, during which I lost the most weight, recently have switched to cardio no weights and am seeing barely any loss at all, bit depressing, but down from 207 to 185, so still very chuffed. Still a lardy bugger, gonna reintroduce the weights and see how well that works out! Good luck!

Nick1

Reaction score
Good Job man! It is tough I know first hand.....

Back in late 2008 I weighed about 245 LBS. At the time I was eating fast food all the time and not working out at all. I would usually eat 3-4 meals a day. All I did was play guitar watch movies and teach guitar and write music. So no real physical exercise at all. So I decided that I was going to make a change! So on October 31st 2008 I cut out 90% of all my carbs and cut out all sugary snacks and fried/junk. I also lowered the amount and frequency my food intake. I drank a TON of water and coffee and sugar free Red Bull. I also started walking a lot. It took a few weeks but then the weight just started to fall off. So October 2008 I weighed 245 and today I weigh 135. Yeah it sucked sometimes but I VERY glad I did it.

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Good Job man! It is tough I know first hand.....

Back in late 2008 I weighed about 245 LBS. At the time I was eating fast food all the time and not working out at all. I would usually eat 3-4 meals a day. All I did was play guitar watch movies and teach guitar and write music. So no real physical exercise at all. So I decided that I was going to make a change! So on October 31st 2008 I cut out 90% of all my carbs and cut out all sugary snacks and fried/junk. I also lowered the amount and frequency my food intake. I drank a TON of water and coffee and sugar free Red Bull. I also started walking a lot. It took a few weeks but then the weight just started to fall off. So October 2008 I weighed 245 and today I weigh 135. Yeah it sucked sometimes but I VERY glad I did it.

You are still under weight now :lol:

Nick1

Reaction score
You are still under weight now :lol:

I went to the doctor a few weeks ago and he said Im fine weight wise. According to the BMI Chart Im at a 19.9. So anything under 18.5 is under weight. And anything over 25 is considered overweight. He said I shouldnt try to lose anymore weight.

Here is the BMI Calculator I used which is the same as the one at the docs.

Advanced bmi calculator of Body Mass Index

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm surprised ANYONE takes the BMI thing seriously. It doesn't take into account percentage of body fat and on that basis alone I don't trust the BMI at all.
FWIW, I'm 6"1.5' (184cm) and 167.2 pounds (76 kilograms) and I'm fairly lean, but have been putting on weight due to weight training.

I could weigh 130 kilograms (286 pounds) but be completely muscular and have insignificant amounts of body fat from doing power lifting for example, but according to the BMI charts I would be "Obese" which is a COMPLETE crock of shit because I'd be quite fit and very healthy from my hypothetical body composition and also from the nutrition used to get there and to maintain that muscle.
Throw the BMI charts out the window, it's not a useful basis for determining whether you're in a healthy weight range or not.
I don't need a chart to tell me that I'm healthy. I can just look in the mirror and examine my body and see that it's lean, a little muscular and has no excess fat at all.

Tiger

Reaction score
Fuck the BMI. 135 is way too light at your height, I know you had a significant victory with losing that much weight but weight issues swing both ways.

windu

Reaction score
a little advice, drink a glass of wine a day (red perferably) does your heart good!
congrats man badass job! im about to start working out myself and start kicking these nasty habits, gonna train to become a firefighter. keep it up bro"uigi!

FYP666

Kick The Gates Open
Reaction score
Grattis gåbbe! Bra jobbat, jag hoppas du fortsätta sammaledes! :yesway:

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Im not real tall. Im only 5' 9".

I have friend almost the same height (give or take one inch) and weighs about the same as you (give or take one kilogram/2 or so pounds) and honestly, that's pretty skinny.
It's not dangerously so, and it's a fairly healthy weight, but I don't think some extra pounds could go astray.
I'm only about 10cm taller than you (3.5 inches or so) but I weigh 15 kilograms more, and I can certainly tell you it's not the height difference alone that makes up the extra weight.
This is the heaviest I've been my whole life and I've never felt healthier.
Definitely look into gaining a little more body fat and muscle. 155 pounds would be a good weight for you I would think

Nick1

Reaction score
I have friend almost the same height (give or take one inch) and weighs about the same as you (give or take one kilogram/2 or so pounds) and honestly, that's pretty skinny.
It's not dangerously so, and it's a fairly healthy weight, but I don't think some extra pounds could go astray.
I'm only about 10cm taller than you (3.5 inches or so) but I weigh 15 kilograms more, and I can certainly tell you it's not the height difference alone that makes up the extra weight.
This is the heaviest I've been my whole life and I've never felt healthier.
Definitely look into gaining a little more body fat and muscle. 155 pounds would be a good weight for you I would think

Im not so sure about gaining back 20 pounds. Id rather stay at 135. Ive been at 135 for a few months now and havent really changed anything in my diet. Yet I seem to just stay within 135-137 LBS. Im guessing that its where my body wants to be, or maybe its trying to say "don't you lose another fucking pound!"

If I did gain any weight Id like it to be muscle. But at the moment Im not really physically able to. I fell down a flight of stairs a few months ago and now I have a severely herniated disc in my back. (No I was not drunk when I fell down the stairs) the disc is causing pretty bad pain in my back and weakness and "pins and needles" in my right leg/foot. Ill actually be walking and my right foot just decides to stop working and I trip and look like a total dumbass that doesnt know how to walk. Im told to NOT do any kind of heavy lifting whatsoever. I had an MRI a few days ago and I actually find out if I need surgery on Monday. But once this whole thing gets cleared up Ill probably get a gym membership again and start going a few times a week.

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Im not real tall. Im only 5' 9".

Yeah roughly same as me. According to the all knowing BMI I'm at 30.7 :rolleyes:

I physically couldnt weigh 135 lbs. I would look like and Ethiopian. I would have to lose so much muscle. Being underweight is just as risky sometimes as being overweight ;)

Plus you lost the weight in a very dumb way. :2c:

Nick1

Reaction score
Yeah roughly same as me. According to the all knowing BMI I'm at 30.7 :rolleyes:

I physically couldnt weigh 135 lbs. I would look like and Ethiopian. I would have to lose so much muscle. Being underweight is just as risky sometimes as being overweight ;)

Plus you lost the weight in a very dumb way. :2c:

I could have smoked crack. That would have been worse.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Not everyone is made of muscle, some of us are just small.

I'm a couple of inches taller than Nick and have a target weight of ~130, up at ~145 right now and I still feel like shit because it's just a pile of 15 lbs. of fat right on my gut that just won't go the fuck away. I actually don't care at all how much I weigh, I just want my flat stomach back :lol:

')