So.. three guitarists?

• Thread starter Shenaniganizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shenaniganizer

Reaction score
How, exactly, does that work out, without sounding like mushy shit? And is the bassist EVER heard?

The only band I know of that does this in a metal setting is Periphery. And in one of their videos, they show their rigs, and they play parts of a few songs.. and, honestly, it sounds like a bunch of noise.
For specific things, it makes sense. Like dual solos with a rhythm playing in the background. Or a clean part with a jazzy solo run, chord strumming, and then chord outlining. Or, in some riffs, one guy could follow the bass drum/bassist, while the other two harmonize..

But, would it really work that well, all the time? :confused: Some things I write are layered, but, not all. I'd really be worried about our bassist being drowned out entirely.

I'm asking this because I'm in a band currently (I play bass), and they've all become my best friends. (Well, majority of them - the rhythm guitarist, I honestly don't care for, not to sound like a dick.) We're all moving to Phoenix, and meeting up with another one of my best friends, who's playing bass and doing vocals. So, that'll put me on guitar (thank bawlz) and the other two guitarists.. staying on guitar. I love the idea of three guitarists, because it could work for a lot of parts, like what I mentioned above. And if we used seven strings, I think that'd open up a wider plane for us. But, 90% of the shit we play is metal, so, I need to figure out how it'll work. I don't really want to lose these guys as bandmates just because one fuck didn't want to compromise and play something else (like the bassist on vocals, rhythm guitarist on bass, or something). The lead guitarist and drummer are very talented. :love:

/ramble over

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Maiden seems to do it fine :shrug: but I have a feeling they just turn Janick down to 0 and let Dave and Adrien do the songs

MFB

Banned
Reaction score

What's not to get? He asked : "How, exactly, does that work out, without sounding like mushy shit? And is the bassist EVER heard?"

And I answered that Maiden do it fine, althought they may have 3 guitarist on stage potentially only two of them are really being heard since no one cares about the 3rd :shrug:

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
I care about Janick Gers. :(

Maiden, Whitechapel, and Ihsahn's live show have three guitarists. They all sound pretty bitchin' and unmuddy.

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
a large number of commercial rock bands like A7x etc etc have a third guitarist for parts.

works out fine

Mwoit

Reaction score
It can work. Just take the time to EQ your gear well to fit in with the others and write different parts and stuff.

:yesway:

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
Maybe these bands aren't your cup of tea but, Iron Maiden, Lynard Skynard, The Beatles, The Eagles, Radiohead, April Wine, they all seem to do just fine.
Set that aside I would have to say that the video you saw of periphery was camera audio. You your self, john petrucci an Steve Vai playing through a video camera mic is gonna sound like shit.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
Maiden seems to do it fine :shrug: but I have a feeling they just turn Janick down to 0 and let Dave and Adrien do the songs

You are pretty much correct with that comment as Maiden have said that when they play live they keep the other two guitars in standard and let Janick play in BADGBE to avoid things getting too cluttered.

MSalonen

Reaction score
periphery are three....

they sounds fine :D

they share parts - in a different rhythmic way (accents) - voices - solos - for effective lines

I'm pretty sure this is the video he was talking about where to him it sounded like a mess of noise.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
What's not to get? He asked : "How, exactly, does that work out, without sounding like mushy shit? And is the bassist EVER heard?"

And I answered that Maiden do it fine, althought they may have 3 guitarist on stage potentially only two of them are really being heard since no one cares about the 3rd :shrug:
Janick FTW!!!

:shred:
He has amazing stage presence and skills! What's not to like Maiden fans?

I Voyager

Reaction score
You are pretty much correct with that comment as Maiden have said that when they play live they keep the other two guitars in standard and let Janick play in BADGBE to avoid things getting too cluttered.
What?

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score

really? I've never heard that before and it would surprise me. They're a big band and can make it work because they can afford the best sound people

Demeyes

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Janick and Murray play in standard and Smith sometimes plays in drop D. You can see him doing one finger chords in newer maiden live footage and he's mentioned it in interviews.
I've seen bands pull off 3 guitars well before, you can get a real wall of sound from it. To make it work you should carefully EQ the guitars to make sure each is heard and not muddying up the mix. Also you should make sure that you are playing the riffs correctly with the right accents and rhythms to make the most of having 3 guitarists.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
look at the guitar as 3 registers, lower, middle and upper. Harmonize accordingly.

The other way is think in layers; One person can be harmony/riffing, one person can be doing a lead/melody, and other person can be free to do anything, I often hear in albums (and have performed live with 3 guitarists for afew shows) which use simple 2 or 3 note repeated lines in the background as "drone lines".. it adds an extra element to normal music which makes it more unique and fuller. Any song can have layers added to it.

Why not have one of you play keyboard? Thats what I would do in that situation.. keyboards are pretty awesome, you can shred like crazy on it pretty easily, and I think it can add such an atmospheric element to any genre of music.

Even if its you who has to play it, it will add so much more to the band, and if you are serious about making a band work, it should be worth it. Its also really good to get some good piano knowledge down, every musician should be able to play piano decently

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Janick and Murray play in standard and Smith sometimes plays in drop D. You can see him doing one finger chords in newer maiden live footage and he's mentioned it in interviews.
I've seen bands pull off 3 guitars well before, you can get a real wall of sound from it. To make it work you should carefully EQ the guitars to make sure each is heard and not muddying up the mix. Also you should make sure that you are playing the riffs correctly with the right accents and rhythms to make the most of having 3 guitarists.

It was definitely mentioned in a GuitarOne interview they said they have two guitars in standard and the 3rd in dropped tuning a few tunings were mentioned and one of them may have been drop-D but BADGBE just stuck in my head cause it was quite surprising and unusual.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of bands have three guitarists, some share between guitar and Keys. The Dear Hunter and Receiving End of Sirens are two excellent examples. They also have the densest mix and live show ever.

Lechugaz

Reaction score
If you want to sound clear with 3 guitars, is all about composing good parts. And by composing good parts I mean you take special care in not doubling to much notes. We are not robots, and eventually it is gonna sound messy if we are playing 3 layers of the same riff. Each guitar playing in different octaves can help to clear the complete sound. You must have clear that there's no need to have all 3 guitars soundging ALWAYS. Rests are always welcome.
It is like an orchestration approach to rock. The orchestra isn't always in TUTTI, some instruments play and others rest, and mix up all in different ranges to make up a complete, unmessy, whole.

About Iron Maiden. They can do what they want.... They are IRON MAIDEN!!!!

')