So UPS delivered my Mark IV this afternoon...

• Thread starter Unknown Doodl3.2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
The guy takes the 1st of two giant boxes out of his truck (I got a 1x12 cab with the combo also) and drops it on my driveway pavement... he grabs it again and brings it over "It slipped outta my hands..." I felt like lynching him on the spot... anyways I opened up the packages like some kid on christmas morning and waited t'ill my girlfriend left before playing it (it was frozen anyways so... I had an excuse :rolleyes: )...

I must say this amp totally kicks ass!!! It'll need a bit of tweaking before I find MY brutal chugga rhythm tone but I've got some pretty good ones and the leads are amazing!!! I'm gonna have fun reading the manual and playing around with it a lot more!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Damn, good thing it's a Mesa, so it'll take that fall. ;)

Congrats!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:yesway: Awesome, glad nothing got damaged in the drop. Looks like you need to change that sig ;)

I hate UPS and am sweating bullets. I've got 2 Mesa 1x12 Thiel cabinets on their way, both UPS. One should be here tomorrow.

I'm currently watching a Mark IV on ebay. It's either that or a new Roadster head. Still can't make up my damn mind. I keep listening to Lamb of God and Dream Theater's ToT :lol:

Oh and the mandatory

:worth:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
technomancer: Jeez... you got TWO Thiele cabs? Sweet deal on them... the EVM-12L speaker alone is worth over $200! You'll have to give us a report on them when you get them. I'm going to build one off a similar design spec with the EVM speaker.

Unknown doodl: Can't wait to see pics of your Mark!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
tell me this man hasnt been back on SS.org because he's been playing the mark all day, please! pics! :)

someone needs to translate some sweet mesa settings to my peavey, stat! lol

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Mark IVs are awesome man... I love mine, you'll love yours, it'll all be sunshine and lollipops! If you want some setting advice I'll post up mine for you tomorrow night. You know, for the shortcut to face meltage :D

I'll also let you know how the Eurotubes high gain front end sounds when the tubes get in next week.. cuz while Marks already have a punishing amount of gain, just a little bit more would help :D

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Mark IVs are awesome man... I love mine, you'll love yours, it'll all be sunshine and lollipops! If you want some setting advice I'll post up mine for you tomorrow night. You know, for the shortcut to face meltage :D

I'll also let you know how the Eurotubes high gain front end sounds when the tubes get in next week.. cuz while Marks already have a punishing amount of gain, just a little bit more would help :D

thatd be awesome dude!!! :)

and yes, I'll get pics sometime soon, I'm having trouble uploading pics with my cam so...

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
You guys and your Mark IV's make me jealous.... no Matt... you don't need another amp.... you don't need another amp.... :noplease: :lol:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
technomancer: Jeez... you got TWO Thiele cabs? Sweet deal on them... the EVM-12L speaker alone is worth over $200! You'll have to give us a report on them when you get them. I'm going to build one off a similar design spec with the EVM speaker.

Unknown doodl: Can't wait to see pics of your Mark!

Hehe yeah given the prices I figured I'd grab them both, as I wanted to compare the EV and BlackShadow speakers. I'm pretty confident I can get what I paid for them if I decide to sell them.

UD 3.2: Looking forward to seeing pictures of this Mark :yesway:

Awesome I'd be curious to know how the tubes work out as well.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
This is like the one amp I'd ever be seriously tempted to sell the Nomad for. :yesway:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Alright my settings for the lead channel go something like this:

gain - 9 pull fat
treble - 8
mid - 5
bass - 4
drive - 9 pushed in
lead master - 4
lead presence - depends. with EMG 81, 4. with EMG 707, 7. always pushed in

graphic EQ is a smiley shape, but not a very deep one.
80hz - 2/3rd
240hz - just above center
750hz - slightly below center
2200hz - just above center
6600hz - just below 2/3rd

Tweed power - more power tube saturation
Harmonics - more nuance to the tone
Triode power - more headroom I think. I might have this one backwards.
Class A power I think. It might be on simulclass... I forgot to check my back panel haha whoops :D

I always run with the reverb off since I haven't got a footswitch for it yet and while it sounds good on the clean channels, it does not so much on the lead channel.

For a more instantly gratifying tone, turn the bass up and treble up on the graphic EQ and make it a deep V instead of a smiley. If you put the middle slider all the way to zero, you start to sound like the ultra scooped mids of Meshuggah :D I'll also record with a deeper smile then I will play at a jam with, since you don't have the problem of getting drown out in the mix if you are doing your own production.

Also one more thing. The amp doesn't really start to sing until you get the master volume up to around 2 or so. You will know when it happens - the distortion goes from above average to perfectly saturated and downright violent :D

grimmchaos

I like beer
Reaction score

Damn, you actually want more gain out of your Mark? I can't see how this amp doesn't already have enough!!

I'll post my settings when I get home and can remember them.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Mark goodness FTW! :metal:

Damn, he dropped it on the pavement? I'd have beaten that chode senseless. Good thing for Mesa over-engineering.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn, you actually want more gain out of your Mark? I can't see how this amp doesn't already have enough!!

I'll post my settings when I get home and can remember them.

Well I find that with higher gain tubes, you can back off on the gain a bit and get less feedback as a result. I don't know though... lately I've really been wanting a wall of distortion style amp again like a 5150, Knucklehead or something... or an Engl Fireball... while I didn't find my Rectifier that liveable because of zero versatility, I still do like its tone.

kanamvar32

Reaction score
Sweet!! Mark IVs are great!!! I even have one. For all you guys bitching about pictures this should hold you over haha.

mkivhead.jpg

This should take a bit of the pressure off you threadstarter. Have fun playing the amp, not taking and uploading pics. Still, get some damn pics here so we can see your new baby :)

')