So, what's there for budget Vs?

• Thread starter Accoun
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just curious, since some stuff I've looked at made me wonder about the shape. (BTW, I mean the symmetrical ones and not Rhodes derivatives)
It's just me thinking out loud, since I have other things I'm more interested in getting right now. Was thinking around $400, so nothing special. Might be a good idea to have a dedicated standard tuned guitar.

So far, I can see Jackson js32s, LTD 50/200 and Deans. I know the first two have a decent opinion in the price range and the Dean is a bit of a wildcard - especially if the 2021 ones are a bit of a refresh, moving from basswood to mahogany. It also means the only one from them I'm interested in is only available new and is the most expensive one.
On paper it seems the best, but I'm afraid they're spreading too thin (on the other hand, maybe having a better body to potentially upgrade is better).

LTD at this level are all basswood too? That seems less than ideal - not in a tonewood way, just afraid it's gonna be fragile. I understand poplar is better for that?

So yeah, anyone has any opinions on these or other options? I deliberately didn't mention looks, since I like both styles - the modern and edgy Jackson/LTD, and classic-but-still-more-aggresive-than-Gibson Dean.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
In my experience the budget Deans are not nice.

Kramer Nite-V?

edit: my first instinct in that price range would be used as well

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
In that price range, you can't be too demanding. Jacksons are fine, Deans are a gamble, Kramers are good. Maybe one of the old 80' MIJ stuff like Aria, Tokai. Washburn if you can find one?
For my money, i'd go with a Jackson.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I probably should've mentioned I'm not from the US. Kinda limits my options.

In my experience the budget Deans are not nice.

Kramer Nite-V?

edit: my first instinct in that price range would be used as well
That Kramer looks like an interesting option. Thomann doesn't have it, but I'll check local stores later. I don't expect any on the used market anywhere near me tho, so I'd have to look for a new one as well.
And yeah, I looked mostly at the used market here. Dean was an exception because of the said refresh. Sad to hear about Dean though, I've seen one good opinion here (about an last-year version) but not much more.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
for production stuff schecter and LTD are killing it. They tend to be a bit more consistent with their qc versus jackson and dean in those price ranges ime.

Basswood can be quite soft, but it's less of issue for a hardtail versus a trem loaded guitar. Some floyd loaded basswood bodies have issues with the posts/claw mountd getting loose and ripping out over time.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
I had an ltd v50 back on 2011. That was a really nice guitar for $200 used; great neck, little bit of neck dive, and played very well. However, I think the prices on them have shot up quite a lot.

')