So...which amp?

• Thread starter Atomshipped
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Atomshipped

Reaction score
So I'm looking at getting a new amp. I've been doing a lot of research and found a few that I may like but I need some opinions on them and suggestions for other ones.

I'm looking to get at least two good sounds out of this amp; preferably more. The cleans should be very full sounding, smooth, and clear; individual notes jump out but flow together in chords. It's hard to describe; I hope you guys get the general idea. The dirty channel needs to be organic and high gain with the ability to produce a good palm muted chug and still clean up well with the volume knob. I'd also prefer more of a vintage voice. It's also absolutely necessary that the sound isn't scratchy or fizzy on any of the notes.

Versatility is also great. Although not a priorty, access to a vintage, power amp distorted clean sound would be great. I love both the clean and dirty sounds in Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Little Wing". Being able to make a somewhat decent "djent" sound would be fun to play around with but is at the bottom of my priority list in terms of sounds this future amp can hopefully make.

Here are a few amps I've found that may work (Price range of $1300):

ENGL Gigmaster 15/30
Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
Orange TH30

I've also found the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister to be able to get the vintage, cranked cleans I mentioned but I'm doubting its ability to make a decent high gain sound. The Orange Dark Terror also seems to have great overdrive but it doesn't have a clean channel which I'd prefer to have instead of having to change the gain knob or my volume knob every time I want to play something clean. An idea I had was to get an amp with good cleans and use a Blackstar HT-DISTX as my dirty channel; I could also use that to record with which would be nice.

The cabinet I'm getting will most likely be either an Orange or Mesa Boogie 2x12; I'm not sure which is better and it probably varies per amp.

So...wall of text complete. Which amp should I get? Are there any I didn't list that I might like? Thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
You weren't real specific about the genre you like to play but just based on you descriptions I'd say a vintage Marshall or Fender 50watt head might be something you should consider. Or perhaps one of the Marshall re-issues or maybe even one of the hand wired models. Serious organic vintage tones.

Atomshipped

Reaction score
You weren't real specific about the genre you like to play but just based on you descriptions I'd say a vintage Marshall or Fender 50watt head might be something you should consider. Or perhaps one of the Marshall re-issues or maybe even one of the hand wired models. Serious organic vintage tones.
Progressive rock. I'd like to be able to get close to or better than the guitar tone heard on Tool's Lateralus album. Their guitarist uses a Diezel VH4 and an old 70's Marshall with its channels wired together and other modifications. I'm not looking for something EXTREMELY vintage; just don't want something voiced solely for death metal and all its subgenres. I currently have a Marshall MA100H and the cleans are somewhat decent but the dirty channels are completely unusable, they're just so awful. I know they aren't exactly the top of the line Marshall heads but I'd like to try out another brand. I'd like to use a lower watt head that's preferably smaller sized; they're cheaper and much more practical for home use.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
If your looking to use the whole $1300, then your options are numerous enough to go big instead of mini.

Might even look into a Carvin V3 for super versatility in that price range, or a Legacy2.
Also maybe an EVH50 or a used Mesa mark5 for close to that price.

Atomshipped

Reaction score
If your looking to use the whole $1300, then your options are numerous enough to go big instead of mini.

Might even look into a Carvin V3 for super versatility in that price range, or a Legacy2.
Also maybe an EVH50 or a used Mesa mark5 for close to that price.
$1,300 is the limit; any extra left over could be saved for other stuff (Carvin guitar :D) or spent on effects and such as I like effects pedals. I mean I could go with the Orange Dark Terror and have like $600 left to save for a new guitar which will be my next major purchase.

I've actually looked at the V3 series and they seem pretty versatile but I'm hesitant as they seem pretty fizzy and for some reason I get the impression that the tone doesn't have a lot of character/is generic. Unfortunately used gear isn't an option either...if it was I'd love a Mark V.

ISRAFEL

Reaction score
Unfortunately used gear isn't an option either...if it was I'd love a Mark V.

I think your best bet would be a Peavey JSX. I had one and it does everything you've described and then some... Definitely check it out. Also, any particular reason used is not an option?

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
If your looking for practical home use, I'd look into a Blackstar ht of some sort. I personally like the HT-5. It can cover the cleans, and that "Little Wing" tone your looking for IMO. If you want to you can boost it for a little more "umph".

I also vouche for not ruling out used used gear, my Mesa head and cab I bought used......in amazing condition....put it this way, had to LOOK to find flaws, and I got both of them for a steal of a price........I got em locally and was able to try them out.......

blackrobedone

Reaction score
I would recommend a Voodoo Modded Triple Rectifier. It's your lucky day too! I have a Voodoo Modded Triple Rectifier that I'd let go for $1200 shipped. Very good plus condition. No major dings, no rust, black face plate, one button footswitch, cover.

Attercop

Reaction score
I'm not sure of your definition of fizzy or scratchy, but heavier gain Orange tones could be described like that pretty easily. Orange has a distinct tone, including the Thunder, and it's pretty rough-sounding.

EDIT: I have no personal experience with the Bogner Alchemist, but on paper it can do what you describe. People seem to love the cleans and the distortion goes either way.

great_kthulu

Reaction score
I would say look a little deeper into the H&K, I have heard people getting some damn heavy tones out of them with a little tweaking, plus they have excellent cleans.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Laney, dude. VH100R or GH100L. Shop used and they can be had for about $600. Great amps, loud as hell. The cleans are beautiful, the distortion is most lively, and they're very versatile. If you wanna do tighter metal (Dying Fetus and such) you'll need a boost. Otherwise it's great on its own. It takes a bit of tweaking and your EQ might look rather... unorthodox... compared to what you usually see, but it'll sound killer all the same. Hell, look at Mattias Eklundh's settings for his VH100R.
They're definitely "dry" amps so it'll force you to clean up your playing, but it's not hard to get used to. Check them out. If you need less wattage, you can always pull two tubes, but I really think they're better off with more headroom. You could get an attenuator, too.

Atomshipped

Reaction score
I think your best bet would be a Peavey JSX. I had one and it does everything you've described and then some... Definitely check it out. Also, any particular reason used is not an option?
I've played a little with the XXX; is it the same amplifier? It wasn't bad at all but wasn't great either. The cleans also were kinda thin but I'm not sure how the amp was set or anything.
If your looking for practical home use, I'd look into a Blackstar ht of some sort. I personally like the HT-5. It can cover the cleans, and that "Little Wing" tone your looking for IMO. If you want to you can boost it for a little more "umph".
Yeah the Blackstar amps look very versatile. I've played with their HT-100 head and it seemed pretty decent for an $800 100W amp. I was really stuck on getting the Series One for a while but now I'm not so sure if it's distortion can really get the saturated sound I want; their pedals seem to have a more saturated sound on their official demonstrations on youtube. So basically I really want to like the amp; it seems like it can nail a ton of tones, I'm just not sure it will truly be able to deliver. If I could be positive that its dirty channels were as good or better than the HT-DISTX I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure of your definition of fizzy or scratchy, but heavier gain Orange tones could be described like that pretty easily. Orange has a distinct tone, including the Thunder, and it's pretty rough-sounding.
EDIT: I have no personal experience with the Bogner Alchemist, but on paper it can do what you describe. People seem to love the cleans and the distortion goes either way.
Hmm maybe I have the wrong definition of fizzy but I really liked the Orange Dark Terror when I played it and many videos for the TH30..I'll see if I can find an example of what I think is fizzy.
I would say look a little deeper into the H&K, I have heard people getting some damn heavy tones out of them with a little tweaking, plus they have excellent cleans.
Will do. Almost all the videos I've found demonstrate the cleans or a light overdrive...The cleans really are great but I can't really find a solid recording of any sort of high gain sound out of it. The amp and all its features seem great...but I really need to be sure it can get a good high gain sound. I absolutely love everything else about the amp though.
Laney, dude. VH100R or GH100L. Shop used and they can be had for about $600. Great amps, loud as hell. The cleans are beautiful, the distortion is most lively, and they're very versatile. If you wanna do tighter metal (Dying Fetus and such) you'll need a boost. Otherwise it's great on its own. It takes a bit of tweaking and your EQ might look rather... unorthodox... compared to what you usually see, but it'll sound killer all the same. Hell, look at Mattias Eklundh's settings for his VH100R.
They're definitely "dry" amps so it'll force you to clean up your playing, but it's not hard to get used to. Check them out. If you need less wattage, you can always pull two tubes, but I really think they're better off with more headroom. You could get an attenuator, too.
I'll do some research; I've heard good things about Laney! Thanks. I'm not really looking for something that's loud as hell but it'll be fine if the amp sounds good and isn't too expensive. I'd really like to stay away from doing anything with the tubes or using an attenuator though.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
^^^^ I think the pedals due have more saturation or a saturated sound, but don't let that fool you......those amps rock.

Still no one really knows what your looking for except you, and ultimately it comes down to toying around with them, and finding what you like..........

......as far as the XXX vs the JSX, from what I've noticed, the jsx has a smoother sounding and fuller clean channel, but the the gain channels are a little more aggressive on the XXX. I almost bought a jsx........(my dual was too good to pass up).

and there is a demo on the GW site, of the tubemeister, might be the demo your looking for......

Atomshipped

Reaction score
^^^^ I think the pedals due have more saturation or a saturated sound, but don't let that fool you......those amps rock.

Still no one really knows what your looking for except you, and ultimately it comes down to toying around with them, and finding what you like..........

......as far as the XXX vs the JSX, from what I've noticed, the jsx has a smoother sounding and fuller clean channel, but the the gain channels are a little more aggressive on the XXX. I almost bought a jsx........(my dual was too good to pass up).

and there is a demo on the GW site, of the tubemeister, might be the demo your looking for......
Yeah no doubt the Series One amps are good I just need to play one before spending $1,500 on an amp when I could potentially get better distortion from a $200 pedal.
I may have the chance to play the XXX again soon but I've never seen a JSX anywhere. It'll be something to try.
Looked up the Guitar World Tubemeister 18 demo and the cleans were good for one type of clean shound I'd like to be able to have and there seemed to be plenty of gain on the lead channel but I didn't really like it. Something about the settings he used or the way it's voiced...just not really my type of distortion.
For what you describe, Jet City would be worth a try.
Thanks for bringing that up! I've actually been considering the JCA22H (I think?) and the lead channel was good but I'm not so sure about the cleans. I'll check it out again.

Garlic Owl

Reaction score
You should try the JCA50h, it has enough headroom for cleans and it's voiced the same as the JCA100h. here are a couple demos of the JCA100h

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Also look at the Egnater Rebel.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
I'll do some research; I've heard good things about Laney! Thanks. I'm not really looking for something that's loud as hell but it'll be fine if the amp sounds good and isn't too expensive. I'd really like to stay away from doing anything with the tubes or using an attenuator though.

You should check out the Ironheart series as well. They come in 60 and 120W models, and each has a built in attenuator. It looks to be a really killer amp. I've never tried one personally, but there are a few demos out there.

Jet City amps are really nice for the price. I've played a JCA20H and while I loved the cleans, I didn't think it was all that great for high gain. Now, it is just a 20W amp with EL84 tubes, so naturally it won't have a lot of punch and headroom. I'm sure the JCA50H would suit your needs well. I know for certain that the cleans are nice.

')