So...Why do People Hate on Gibson and Fender Again?

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fr4nci2c0

Reaction score
$0.02 time. It really all depends on what sound your going for. Today I was at GC and as far as high gain goodness goes I found the sweetest with an EBMM reflex through a 6505+ and for imaculate cleans my fave was a fender tele thinline trough a fender twin reverb. ill say it again it is all about what sound your going for. to the ppl that hate why do you expect extreme metal sounds when plugging in a fender or gibson? thats not ther intention duh!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TylerP1212

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said already, but I think there are pros/cons to every type of guitar, be it ERG or a classic 6 string. I side with the minority of members here that prefer vintage/classic-modled gear and guitars, as in my honest opinion, for the price of most of the gear you can find if you do a little digging on your own you can get a wider variety of tones out of the guitars themselves, leading to being less dependent on stomp boxes and multi-effect units to color your sound, in my experience. Its a lot more of an organic approach.

Is it a pain in the ass to lug around all that gear and to actually work with the guitar in question to get the tones you want? To you, maybe. To some its worth the pay off of phenomenal tone.

While some may prefer to stick with their Ibanez RG and Axe FX, others may get a kick out of lugging around a Leslie speaker, full rig, 4-5 different guitars, etc. I love using different guitars for different applications...going from tele, to strat, to les paul, to es-335, for a diff song each is a beautiful thing...so many tones.

I can say as a person who used to work at a store (as if that carries merit lmao) and playing over 50+ different Gibsons and Fenders of varying years/makes, my tl;dr opinion is...

Gibson: Anything they're cranking out now-a-days that's below a "Standard" model, isn't worth the money. So If you're not dropping $2k on an LP or $1500 on an SG, it honestly just doesn't feel/sound the same. NOTHING feels or sounds the same as a real Les Paul. Any Gibson worth getting is going to play phenomenally, and sound like pure bliss. Full,middy goodness. Quit being a pussy about the weight issue, you sound like my sister.

none of this applies to Epiphone though, which I like as a company. Most of the things they put out over $500/600 are manageable, and a simple pickup swap makes them alright guitars. I dig their semihollows.

Fender: I'm more biased towards Fender as I bond a little with a 25.5 scale, but I think it goes without saying that Fender is a way better bang for your buck. A $600 MIM Strat usually out-performs an epiphone in its price range, and w/o a doubt any of the awful, awful "gibsons" under $1200. Strats are practically the most versatile guitars ever. I have a hard time imagining what is wilder than an ash body tele w/a rosewood fingerboard and a p90/bucker setup. The options are great. In my (very personal) opinion, I believe people that grub about Fenders and fender styled guitars not sounding good is because they're simply bad guitarists, who CAN'T GET good tone out of one. You have to work for it with Fender.

...yep, there's my opinion hahaha

flint757

Reaction score
Single coil pickups are definitely a lot more honest when it comes to technique.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
Single coil pickups are definitely a lot more honest when it comes to technique.

You might think i'm joking...but I am dead serious. I am thinking of putting P90's in every guitar I own....they are the BEST pickup option. I have tried just about everything out there and the P90's are simply the best.

flint757

Reaction score
I've never played one to have any assumptions one way or the other and they don't come stock on many guitars.

Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;3486155 said:
Well neither company(gibson/fender) continues to make them.

Ibanez makes and sells many more 6s than 7 and 8s, but they have more than one model of seven and eight string guitars that they continue to make, not just putting one model out and 'killing' it a few years later.

I see what you're sayin man. More companies are far more prominent in their ERG's, even though still not a staple.

It all comes back to what each company does best :)

josefh

Reaction score
To many Ibanez elitist all arround..

Differents guitars, differents tones.. just enjoy.. there´s no ''unique'' guitar, every guitar have pros & cons ..

Jinogalpa

ESP fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
most of Gibson's are too heavy for my likes, i don't buy guitars that weights more than 3,8 kilograms.
also they look like grandpa's guitar to me.

But i do love Fenders especially the custom shop strats, they are often sorted for lightweight, have nice relic finishes :agreed: and with Fender's handwound pickups they are really tone machines

Murmel

Reaction score

Totally. When I first got my strat I had only been playing high-output humbuckers.

Holy shit did I sound bad :lol:

TylerP1212

Reaction score
You might think i'm joking...but I am dead serious. I am thinking of putting P90's in every guitar I own....they are the BEST pickup option. I have tried just about everything out there and the P90's are simply the best.

I love P90s, my favorites as well for a jack-of-all-trades pickup :yesway:

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Not much for Gibsons but do love the strats. I have several that I really enjoy playing - plus I like the fact that they come in colors. :ugh: :) Lately tho nothing beats the Ibanez 7 strings. I've acquired 3 already this year! :lol:

Reaction score
I payed 1200 after taxes and eveything, and i bought it the first year it came out so yeah, 1200 is what i payed. Sadly though, some faggot stole it from me after not even having it a year.

Reaction score
Also, no hate on either gibson or fender cause ive owned a strat and an sg and though they were great, but i fucking love prs. I will retract my last statement that only pros and resl musicians use them. For fuck sakes you can use what ever you want, but i will always take a prs over a gibby or fender anyday.

Reaction score
I payed 1200 after taxes and eveything, and i bought it the first year it came out so yeah, 1200 is what i payed. Sadly though, some faggot stole it from me after not even having it a year.

Please prove your maturity by not using that word.

Also, no hate on either gibson or fender cause ive owned a strat and an sg and though they were great, but i fucking love prs. I will retract my last statement that only pros and resl musicians use them. For fuck sakes you can use what ever you want, but i will always take a prs over a gibby or fender anyday.

Calm down Tex, no need to get butthurt.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
Ahhhh yes, those pesky "faggots" and their guitar thieving ways....:rolleyes:

xxx128

-108 point(s) total
Reaction score
I kind of like gibsons, they look decent, they play decent, they sound AWESOME. If you are lucky...

Based on the fenders i played i have to say i hate them. They sound wrong, feel wrong, look wrong. after playing a fender strat for more than two minutes i feel intensely disgusted.

Murmel

Reaction score
^
I'm a big advocate of 'to each his own', but I can't in my life imagine how you can't manage to get a strat to sound amazing :lol:

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score

I'm right there with you! There's something so fantastic about the P90 bite, especially in a high gain situation. I'm so thankful for Lace and their XBar - it sounds like a supercharged P90 but totally noiseless. Gives my 8 a hell of a tone.

pathogenicmetal666

Reaction score
Anyone who says that Gibson and/or Fender hasn't "innovated" in years is either willfully ignorant or living under a rock.

In the last ten years Gibson has:
-Introduced the Digital Les Paul, a model which integrates MIDI function, digital output, and magnetic pickups far beyond a simple Ghost/Shadow install.
-Used uncommon, yet great sounding and sustainable woods via the Smartwood series.
-Introduced the Firebird X, while maligned for being "pointless" and "ugly" it does the represent the first high-end approach to built in amp modeling in a guitar.
-Gibson's work with Ned Steinberger is of note, granted not much was accomplished, but they've still backed some interesting ideas such as the scalable-baritone.
-The use of composite materials such as Richlite.
-The Dusk Tiger, a guitar that can be setup with pre-programmed EQ for each pickup and setting, years before the EBMM "Gamechanger".

Those features don't sound like the things most players want. Those models are also on the fringe of their line-up, not their bread and butter models. They won't change those models because they have to satisfy the purists who will rage and say "it's not like a real LP!" when anything is changed. A lot of people just want a nice guitar and don't care if it has a volute or not, if it's painted with poly or nitro, etc., as long as it's a quality instrument that works. Those people may be losing out a little bit IMO. They won't even move the strap buttons on the SG so the guitar doesn't neck dive? Vintage style gear is fine, personal preferences are made to be different, but is it the best for everyone? I don't think so, and a company as large as Gibson could offer up some alternatives instead of just 50's, 60's, 70's tributes and re-issues.

')