So...Why do People Hate on Gibson and Fender Again?

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
I once played an American Strat that was probably one of the best 3 guitars I have ever laid my hands on

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
I just love nice guitars man. It doesn't matter where it's made, what it's made out of or who it's made by as long as it's a good specimen.

( I remember Max saying something similar )

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
No Fender hate from me. I adore their necks and love Teles. :D

You'll get hate from them on this board because people think they're "dated," which I think is a lame excuse. The solidbody electric guitar design has been nearly the same for 60+ years.

As for Gibson, the stuff they've released in the passed decade is eh... The Dusk Tiger, the Firebird X, the Holy series... Nah. Their original designs (Les Paul, SG, Explorer, V, and ES-335) are still awesome, though.

One of my wants, though, is a Gibson. I want the shit out of a Les Paul Junior Special.

gibson-les-paul-junior-special-2012-humbucker-satin-lshsvch1-1.jpg

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I just don't like the style of them. And I'm not a fan of paying for the brand name of anything, so I end up steering clear of them. But I steer clear of Blackmachines for the same reason, so my dislike is an equal opportunity aloofness. :lol:

pathogenicmetal666

Reaction score
I think it's kinda sad that people think a guitar designed in the 50's and built to 50's specifications is the best thing money can buy. Gibson actually went backwards in design. For example in the 70's they put volutes and maple stripes in a lot of their necks to strengthen the headstock and prevent it from breaking, but then they went back to the original inferior design.

I do love the Stratocaster in terms of design though. I think it's one of the most practical and durable designs.

People gravitate toward what their hero's play, every thing else is junk!

This is partly why people buy Fender and Gibson. They have the mojo.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
in the town i lived in there was only one music store...they carried gibson, fender, gretch etc. it was ran cranky old men. anytime i need to order a part, or talked about my jacksons, ibbys or esp's...all i heard was hate lol.

all the metal bands i loved played other brands...

not really a hater, i do own an epi goth v & a fender strat, but my other guitars are far superior in my eyes.

ihunda

Reaction score
Never had a fender, that's funny but each time I wanted a strat or tele, ESP and GL were here to scratch my itch :)

I've had my share of Gibson Les Pauls, really loved them, but couldn't fully bond with them next to a Carvin, Navigator, Tokai Japan... They felt overpriced so I sold them all eventually.

I just own a studio worn brown now in the Gibson family => Great price, very cheap used, historic LP tone right there, not afraid to mod the f**k out of it, so Gibson, I am very thankful for the studio line.

MetalKennedy

Reaction score
Personally i like gibson, nice full tone and good playability, but fender on the other hand i dislike with a passion, with 1,500 at any other guitar company either gets you a custom (carvin), or at least a very very smooth neckthru guitar, but at fender it gets you a bolt on guitar with the thickest neck joint known to guitar kind, a shitty trem that doesnt hold tune and single coil pickups :p ive tried and tested many diffrent kinds of fenders and notcied almost no diffrence between their productions line guitars (mid level mexi made) and their standard handmade line. Waste of money if you ask me :p

Estilo

Reaction score
two Gibson Les Paul Traditionals and a Fender HSS American Deluxe strat... no major finish issues to be seen. Fretwork was actually pretty good on all of them. They sounded pretty damn good too.

Your do realise the prices they're charging for the models you mentioned? For that "no major issues", "pretty good" and "pretty damn good" just don't cut it for me. I'd rather get something cheaper and mod it to my liking or go custom which, depending on where you are, can be much cheaper anyway.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like Gibsons because the quality can be very hit or miss, mostly miss. Every Gibson I've played that has been released in the last 10 years has had questionable build quality, mostly it's terrible fretwork. So for Gibson to keep raising prices to what they are now I find disgusting.

Fender on the other hand, I've only played one bad Stratocaster (that I can remember). Other than that I've really liked or loved what I've played (especially the JR Tele and EJ Strat)

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
For the $4k this costs -
y7qlOtA.jpg

I'd much rather buy this for a bit more

EnmjneR.jpg

And rather than spending $1400 for

IJmBpsd.jpg

I'd much rather spend a bit more (well, less as it was used) for

IMG_0745.JPG

This alone is good enough for me to, not quite hate, but certainly have zero interest in the big two manufactures :2c:

Bennykins

Reaction score
When my sister used to work at a shop that stocked a lot of Gibson guitars, I would go in there and play this Howard Roberts Fusion III they had in stock. Man I loved that thing, probably my favourite guitar ever. Here's hoping I can score one in the future.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I love Fender guitars tbh, at least strats and teles. The designs are very solid and practical, and offer a good platform for customization. They also feel really good to me, both the bodies and neck profiles too. Actually I'm in the process of acquiring another USA strat haha. I've been having them off and on for a good while and I think I'm really going to stick with at least one this time for sure. Gibsons are also great, good solid guitars (usually).

I dunno. Most people probably don't like 'em because they're the kind of brands that the layman considers the best and above the rest lol, so maybe they feel like they need to represent other guitar possibilities. And they are really basic usually, and vintage designs, but that's kind of what I like about them. There's a kind of beauty in a Fender strat that no custom uber luthier's wacky super strat design can supersede.

IMO of course. :D

Zado

Reaction score
I went to my local Guitar Center today and played two Gibson Les Paul Traditionals and a Fender HSS American Deluxe strat. Honestly there was nothing wrong with any of them, they played great and no major finish issues to be seen. Fretwork was actually pretty good on all of them. They sounded pretty damn good too. My question is why do internet guitar forums give these guys so much shit, it seems to me that even though they are the largest companies out there, they still make good guitars.
Nothing against fender..If I needed a strat I wouldn't probably get a fender,but that's me,they are fine instruments.

About gibson..well I've seen too many lemons for the price they have.Some standard sounded dead as soapbar,and some frets didn't sound at all.A friend of mine plays a bonamassa signature and you can clearly tell where the joint between fretboard and neck is because there's a step between the two_Other friends played custom models at shops and noticed crooked inlays,finish issues on the back,sometimes not great binding and the fretwork was at best decent.Now,a gibson custom costs 2500+€ here,seriously too much for an instrument with flaws you can't find even in korean or chinese guitars.

Latest posts

')