So...Why do People Hate on Gibson and Fender Again?

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

danresn

Reaction score
My favourite brands are Jackson and Fender. Why, partly the radius, I started playing on strats so that's what I like. Secondly there is something in the tone of those guitars that I just love, Jazzmasters, Teles and Strats always inspire me to play. G&L probably make a better guitar for the price, but in Australia you don't see many of those so I've always just stuck to what I had access to.

Gibsons on the other hand feel good, but in Australia they are the same price as a custom instrument. I just don't believe you get enough of an instrument to justify the price, that being said as soon as I'm not a student I will procure at least one Gibson Les Paul Junior. Those things are sexy.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
G&L really are better than Fender in every way. I've got a G&L P/J bass and it is wonderful. Basically I feel like Fender and Gibson are both good templates for other, smaller builders to expand off of. If you want a Les Paul style guitar there are literally hundreds of alternatives, many of which will be much better quality if not full custom.

Someday I'm gonna get a Tom Anderson 7-string with the cosmetics of a Jimi Hendrix strat and it will ownnnnnn

Nonservium

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
I got my RGD2120z about a month after my close friend got his Les Paul studio. We paid roughly the same price when it was all said and done. We both feel like I got twice the guitar he did and still feel the same way now well over a year or two later. His Les Paul just feels and plays like shit compared to the RGD. On the LP we've had to have work done on the nut, the bridge posts, the stock tuners are absolute shit and already need replaced and the finish looks absolutely horrid. The only plus either of us can give it is the pickups and the beefy tone. It doesn't stay in tune for shit and just overall seems like overpriced junk.

Out of all the people we know that have LP's made in the last 10 years no one is really happy with them and based on my experiences with his, I just generally feel like Gibson is living off the name alone and not giving too much of a fuck about what they spit out of the factory.

All that being said, the guy that got me into guitar (a friend of the family) has an old LP from the 70's and it's absolutely amazing. I love that fucking guitar. I've been trying to talk him into willing it to me since his son passed on years ago (this may seem shitty to some of you but this guy might as well be my uncle, I consider him family).

I feel like the Gibson of old and the modern Gibson are two different companies.

I've never looked down on Fender. I spent 15 years chasing down my Strat Plus Deluxe and now that I have it I absolutely love it. I'd still love to get my hands on a Tele Plus from the same era. The new American made models I play in the stores still feel and play good to me and I don't feel like I'd be taking it up the fartbox buying one if I wanted one. I can't say the same for Gibson.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Yo dawg, I heard you want a reissue of the '93 reissue of the '80 reissue of the '62 reissue, so we made a '13 reissue and are charging $6,000 for it. It even comes with terrible fretwork, cracks in the neck heel, and 2" action.

Sincerely,
Gibson Guitar Corporation

I have nothing against Fender. I love their instruments!

Last edited:

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
People don't really hate Gibson & Fenders. Wannabe elite metal misicians on a few forums do. These two companies still probably sell more guitars than *all* the other builders combined.

I guess some rant on them because, owning somethign else, they want:
-to appear like they made an educated choice.
-to give value to theur guitars
-Self justify the price they paid for another brand.

Fender and Gibson don't offer all specs, but the specs they offer are good and convenient for an awful lot of people. The Gibson and Fender artist roster isn't exactly small fry, either.

we know that have LP's made in the last 10 years no one is really happy with them
I'm extremely happy with my LP studio 60s goldtop reissue.

The reason the strat and LP are still there pretty much unmodified after 50 years is just that they were good designs to start with. It's a guitar, not a cello, you have a limited leeway in spec variation for it to still be a guitar.
I own a Gibson, two Fenders, ESPs, a custom pointy, two ibbies, and I like all of them.

The honest truth is, we could probably do with two solidbodies and be done with it, one with single coils and one with humbuckers. All the rest is nitpicking and self justification for GAS. :D

vinniemallet

EBMM Addicted
Reaction score
No hate, I honestly would like to have a nice Stratocaster when I grow up and become more rich haha but now I have to focus getting metal br00tal axe's :D About Gibson they're not really my scene

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
They've had their time. Gibson has much better propensity towards heavier styles but Fenders haven't been pushed much farther than in the days of Iron Maiden. Both kinds of guitar are still widely used in mainstream acts (although PRS seems to be taking those over as well), i.e. when the music doesn't require anything ground-breaking or new from a guitar then you're likely to see a Fender or Gibson somewhere behind the spotlight.
We're so familiar with their look and sound that they just seem to provide very little potential for improvement or change.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probably the best points I've seen in this thread :lol:

That said despite owning two Gibsons and a Fender I am completely with you on this. The pricing for Gibson's higher end stuff is nuts, and I got both of mine on smoking closeout deals and neither is one of the massively overpriced historics.

For the $4k this costs -
y7qlOtA.jpg

I'd much rather buy this for a bit more

EnmjneR.jpg

And rather than spending $1400 for

IJmBpsd.jpg

I'd much rather spend a bit more (well, less as it was used) for

IMG_0745.JPG

This alone is good enough for me to, not quite hate, but certainly have zero interest in the big two manufactures :2c:

Demiurge

Reaction score
in the town i lived in there was only one music store...they carried gibson, fender, gretch etc. it was ran cranky old men. anytime i need to order a part, or talked about my jacksons, ibbys or esp's...all i heard was hate lol.

And this kind of thing happens a lot (especially on-line) and then some sort of haters' quid pro quo develops: "if you hate my X in favor of your Y, then I hate your Y just as much!".

Then, of course, is the argument that these companies are stuck in the past while the Ibanez, ESP, and thinline-superstrat-builder-du-jour are somehow working exclusively on the bleeding edge. Please. Because some of the models have a double-locking trem that (a) only about 10% of the playing populace uses enough to justify having and (b) is based on technology that ain't no spring chicken either?

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Imo you are just buying a name anymore...the new Gibsons dont have the 'mojo' the old ones have.

The only fender I would buy is a tele.....the rest are mehhh to me and offer 0 features that I want.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Vintage trems work fine for Blackmore, Malmsteen, Uli Roth, Jeff Beck, etc. - Why are they useless again?

wrongnote85

Reaction score
what i don't get is the whammy bar hate on a strat. ritchie blackmore shook the hell out of those things all the time and never had any problems.

Govan Emmanuel

Reaction score
For the $4k this costs -

And rather than spending $1400 for

IJmBpsd.jpg

I'd much rather spend a bit more (well, less as it was used) for

IMG_0745.JPG

This alone is good enough for me to, not quite hate, but certainly have zero interest in the big two manufactures :2c:

isn't that a Suhr Classic strat?

as far as i know, that Fender american standard strat is cost around $950 - $1100 (new), and that Suhr classic strat is cost above $2500

I may be wrong, but i've never seen a Suhr Classic go below $1800 used :(

that being said i'd rather buy a Suhr Classic than the hi-end/custom shop Fenders lol :D

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I love Fenders, and if you hate Fenders you're weird and I don't want you to talk to me.

I love Gibson guitars, but I hate that their headstocks are badly designed to the point where they're just too fragile, and that Gibson probably know about that but have done fuck-all about it for 60 years - says a lot to me about them as a company, none of it good. And the quality control leaves a lot to be desired... the actual instruments are often very nice (my Flying V is still my favourite guitar I've ever played) and they have some drool-worthy models on their website. You just have to find a good one.

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
isn't that a Suhr Classic strat?

as far as i know, that Fender american standard strat is cost around $950 - $1100 (new), and that Suhr classic strat is cost above $2500

I may be wrong, but i've never seen a Suhr Classic go below $1800 used :(

that being said i'd rather buy a Suhr Classic than the hi-end/custom shop Fenders lol :D

It a Suhr pro C1. Snagged it for $1300 on eBay (yes, a fantastic deal :lol:). The fender is a deluxe strat, which is closer in spec to the Suhr than an am std.

timbucktu123

Reaction score
No hate here :)

I have a les paul surpreme in trans black on the way and im planning on buying a black beauty(the new light weight version) soon and both the matt heafy epiphones

I love fenders too. I had an american special strat which i loved but i sold in order to afford my caparison angelus. I also still own a classic vibe tele which is a fantastic guitar for the money.

The reason gibson hasn't changed anything is because when they did their supporters back lashed at them and their sales dropped so they changed it back.

Latest posts

')