So Why Stick to the Six?

• Thread starter Wings of Obsidian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought it might be a cool idea to start a small thread about why some of us on here still play our 6-strings. (Or why we prefer them, or go back to them, etc.) I'm sure many, many of you out there have heard the saying: "Well, Yngwie only needed six strings." or even "Well, Van Halen only needed six strings", etc.

I play PRS guitars - so you can see my predicament. (PRS doesn't make 7-string and 8-string guitars unless you dish out a MASSIVE amount of money into private stock.) This is of course cannot go without saying that I also own an old 7-string Ibanez, and I'm looking into getting a Carvin 8-string soon.

But let's admit it, what REALLY is so good about our standard 6-string guitars guys? Why do we still play them and love them? :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

great_kthulu

Reaction score
simple, I don't like the necks on most sevens and eights! I don't like flat necks, but I have kinda stubby figures so I have difficulty playing thicker necked sevens and eights.

Max_SMW

Reaction score
Simple: I don`t need a 7th string... Sure it extends the tonal range but most guitar players haven`t even used their sixes to their full extent...

Most 7 string players I know only "need" a 7th string for a deeper *thump between notes... I can downtune my 6 to get that

I think a lot of people get the false impression that additional strings enhance their creativity in writing music... which certainly is not the case

I won`t say that I`ll never change for a 7 string, but at the moment I cannot find a reason to do so

Plus, I`m a Les Paul guy :metal:

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
I play seven, but I haven't even said all I can say with six, so I keep a six.

Zeetwig

Dedicated Chiller
Reaction score
The 6 is a classic! 7s and 8s are awesome guitars, but no 7 or 8 in the world can replace the comfortable, classic, nostalgic feel of a 6 string. ^^ I play both 6 and 7, and have tried 8s, and I like them all, but the 6 is the one that I always fall back on when I just want to play/record, and not make super-low heavy metal. :)

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
Even with six, I only touched the top 2 strings, it doesn't matter none :shrug:

Reaction score
I play seven, but I haven't even said all I can say with six, so I keep a six.

Haha! I like this answer! :D ^^^ Too true! :metal:

Another reason that I keep mine is because all my influences (Buckethead, Bumblefoot, Shawn Lane, Allan Holdsworth, Paul Masvidal, etc.) all play 6-strings and they all utilize them to an AMAZING capacity when song-writing! :yesway:

Remember: Joe Satriani played 7-strings for awhile, but he switched back to 6-strings. Paul Gilbert played a 7-string guitar very briefly, then switched back. Steve Vai paved the way for the 7-string, but he still whips out a 6-string occasionally on a song or two - which proves that he still keeps his old 6-string sitting around in a case or in the closet. And...yes...Yngwie and Van Halen have always stuck with 6-strings. :lol:

mike0

Reaction score
The reason i main a six is more of a band thing. When i joined the other guitarist used and still uses a six in drop c. I do however own a seven and its the main one i jam and write on at my apartment while im away from my gear and six. Sevens, in my experience are really good for doing really fast overly technical stuff due to their wide flat necks, but something about a six just invokes me to play more... how can i put this?... not so technical stuff? In a way... When i hold a seven all i wanna do is sweep, multifinger tap, and make very low tuned groovy riffs. I guess what im getting at is i like the way sixes make feel like playing, it's like a more controlled environment.

Reaction score
I just haven't found a use for it yet :D

There...really isn't much I can say beyond that. I have no reason to own one.

Also, I have yet to find a seven string with a HSS pickup system. And I like my single coils.

Reaction score
I just haven't found a use for it yet :D

There...really isn't much I can say beyond that. I have no reason to own one.

Also, I have yet to find a seven string with a HSS pickup system. And I like my single coils.

I'll agree with this. I was looking at an Ibanez Apex-1 Munky Signature awhile back because it has a single-coil in the neck. However, I've realized that I'd rather just wait on guitar-technology to improve a bit! (I really want to hear what a 7-string version of the Dimarzio Chopper and the Pro Track will sound like! :yesway: )

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Its interesting that, having just finishing rebuilding my only 7 string that its now the only guitar I play. Of course, this is because none of my 6'rs are in playable state atm as I'm awaiting fretwork on one and new pickups on the other.

Having been stuck with the 7 string exclusively for a couple of weeks has definitely made me more comfortable with it and I can play it a great deal more naturally now. That being said, I still only feel natural playing my fingerstyle riffs on a Fender strat and I don't have quite as much finesse with my bends on my RG7420.

Feel and playability aside, the tone is ever so slightly different between my 6s and 7s, even when all other elements of construction (including pickups) are the same. Not better or worse, just different.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I just prefer the feel of a 6. I've had 7's and 8's, but I just keep picking up 6's.

Reaction score
Here is another one of my slightly stupid, yet funny reasons:

I have yet to master sweeping across all six strings! (Maybe after I get it, I will move on to sweeping across all seven strings one day!) :lol:

slowro

Drunken Scot
Reaction score
There is not anything other than a EBMM JP 7 string that I GAS for and when PRS make a production 7 string I will take out finance on my liver if I have to. I prefer the idea of more range rather than just tuning low but the Mike Mushok model is tempting

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just love guitars. It doesn't matter how many strings, frets, pickups, or wood used I just dig the fuck out of them all.

I certainly have my preferences, but I'm not going to let those stop me from trying out or enjoying something outside my comfort zone.

A few years back, I probably would have gone on about how I love 7-strings and that I'll never buy another 6-string guitar again, but here I am with two Teles sitting next to my fanned 8-string. :lol:

Reaction score
There is not anything other than a EBMM JP 7 string that I GAS for and when PRS make a production 7 string I will take out finance on my liver if I have to. I prefer the idea of more range rather than just tuning low but the Mike Mushok model is tempting

I must say that I own the Mike Mushok model and keep it in Drop-G or Drop-G# (varying). It is a really great investment for the price! Plus, it has a slightly longer scale length than most 7-strings - lemme tell you that the 27.7" length on the Baritone really makes a NICE different in tone, sustain, and innotation when tuning down low! :yesway:

But I'm also glad that someone agrees with me on PRS making 7-strings! Haha! :lol:

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I have the worlds smallest hands/fingers but I enjoy playing guitar (and I'm not bad considering!)

I lust over 7's, LUST! Want want want :wallbash:

Oddly, I've never had much trouble playing 5/6 string basses :nuts:

Latest posts

')