So Why Stick to the Six?

• Thread starter Wings of Obsidian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
Some of my music just doesn't need that extra brootz :lol:. But seriously, just don't need it a lot so my main is still a 6.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

redstone

Reaction score
One reason to stick to them :

7 (thumb)
X (pain)
X (extreme pain)

The thumb is an awesome tool for chords diversity, especially in drop D, when grasping two strings at the same time. But it requires narrow necks (or giant hands).

Reaction score
The way I look at it, I've barely even scratched the surface of what I can do with a six string. An extra string would be fun, but I feel like I'd end up resorting to a lot of endless downtuned chugging just because I could. I'm sure eventually I'll get one to screw around with, but until then six strings is more than enough for me.

trent6308

Reaction score
I used to be all about my 7, but slowly grew out of it. I realised I could write music just as, if not heavier on my 6. Plus, standard C# is one of my favourite tunings ever.
I just prefer the feel of them, I feel as though I can be more creative.

Totally agree, just went through a massive 7 string faze, realised that I just was just trying to replicate my six string stuff. Prefer my D standard, drop C# stuff.

I'll keep the 7 for shits and giggles but it probably won't get played.

danresn

Reaction score
Because my writing style is different on a 6 to 8 (I don't own a 7). On a 6 I find myself doing far more notey 'Haunted Shore style' which I really like as opposed to the 8 string which I don't think I'm comfortable enough on to write well yet. I can find my way around easily, that only took a day, but for being creative I find it hard on an 8 to come up with something I am completely happy with.

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, i'm mostly into using the guitar to improvise solos.
Low E to high D on my 22 fret guitar gives me 47 different notes across the neck.
A seventh string would only give me 5 extra notes, 7 notes if i tuned it down to A.
I don't really need those extra notes, and i don't want to get into the sonic range of the bass.
I did own a 7 string for a short time, and i would like to have one again someday, as i think i could do some cool solo chord stuff with it, assuming i could find the time to work on that stuff.
But i've been playing guitar for 30 years, and six strings is just natural to me.

Besides, if 6 strings are good enough for this guy...

images

Latest posts

')