So why'd you start?

• Thread starter nyck
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
Well tommorow my first 7 string is coming and the reason I wanted to start was because the I think the sound of the low B will add a bunch of new sounds to my playing. It will add a completly new dynamic to my sound. So what's your reason?

(I hope this thread isn't a failure...)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, i'll help out your thread.
I always thought the idea was kinda cool.
I'd had been into the idea for a long time, and i liked some players who used 7s. So i figured i'd take the plunge. Bought a RG7620 and i was hooked from there. BTW, how are things up in tallahassee? I used to live there for about 9 years.

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Before PAW came out, Ibanez did full page ads in the guitar mags to announce Steve's new sig guitar. It was the front cover shot, and was divided in three pieces, with the cover art being divided equally top to bottom. The first month was the middle third, then the right hand third, then the left. About 2 or 3 days after getting the second months issue I noticed the headstock on the guitar had 7 pegs, and I almost had a heart attack. It was so far out of left field, it's hard to fathom now. It was like getting hit with a bat. there was also no question that Vai could pull it off, he was a God then.

I got The Very First MC that Sam Ash got in NY. The very, very first. I got it in September of 90, I think, in White Plains, NY. It was an MKR, but it was a stunner.... It was a gift from my father. He died in December, and the guitar got stolen in April. It took me 10 years to get another 7 after that, because I felt guilty about letting my Dad's last gift to me walk offf with some crack head. Now, my fourth 7 is in transit, and I play them exclusively almost (Soloist and New Yorker will always get play time, I think). But definitely, Ibanez's ads for Steve's PAW got me into the 7; Moreso than the album itself!

Reaction score
I bought a Washburn WG-587 and felt in love with the extra string and the width of the neck. Simple, isn't it? It is like that 7 strings were made just for me :p

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
If your ever listened to a majority of the bands on Earache Records in the late 80s - mid 90s, then you'll know. Most of the bands were tuning way down & I loved it. What interested me about the 7-string was that I could play really low & at the same time, have a standard tuned 6-string....all on 1 neck.

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
My dad more or less bribed me with it so we could move down here.

But I listen to Dream Theater and Petrucci uses 7's on occasion, so I always wanted to try one.

jski7

Reaction score
Basically , my story is the same as Jim777's . But at the time , I couldn't afford a UV :( . Fast forward to late '98 or early '99 and I got my 7620 . The rest is history ;) !

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
revsharp777 said:
If your ever listened to a majority of the bands on Earache Records in the late 80s - mid 90s, then you'll know. Most of the bands were tuning way down & I loved it. What interested me about the 7-string was that I could play really low & at the same time, have a standard tuned 6-string....all on 1 neck.

+1 Carcass!

I came across my Uni going dirt cheap in '95 when nobody wanted them.
Had a quick play and was hooked.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
Well, i'll help out your thread.
I always thought the idea was kinda cool.
I'd had been into the idea for a long time, and i liked some players who used 7s. So i figured i'd take the plunge. Bought a RG7620 and i was hooked from there. BTW, how are things up in tallahassee? I used to live there for about 9 years.
Things are alright up here. We just got a Guitar Center and the Grand Opening kicked ass(free energy drinks, shirts, and cheap picks). This is my 4th year here in Tallahassee and it's been kinda boring until I met some cool musicians. I proably like this city the most out of all the other ones I've lived in.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Believe it or not, the symmetry of it all - it sorta bugged me that a six string guitar didn't have a "middle" string, so the idea of a seven sorta clicked for me.

I know, weird, eh? :)

-D

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll admit it: Korn. But before I even listened to Korn. Before I knew who Korn was. I read an interview and saw pictures of them holding 7-strings and thought it was the coolest idea ever. And then I heard them and Limp Bizkit and Orgy using them on the Family Values '98 CD (first time I heard any of those bands other than seeing a Korn video once or twice on Much Music, same goes for Limp Bizkit) and was even more hooked. Kept looking at Ibanez's website because I knew that all those bands used Ibanez, and actually ended up liking the UV777BK way better than the RG-7620. As anyone who's been on Jemsite for a while will tell you, I was waiting a good 4-5 years before I got one, and even though it's not a UV777BK (which wouldn't have fit my experimenting with tunings and string guages over the first year very well) I'm damn happy with it :D I'm a hardtail kinda guy anyways, even if those UV777BKs do look damn sexy :lol:

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm I tried one at the music store, but the salesman told me not to buy, something about parts and the difficulties of finding them (what a fuckin schmuck), but I recalled loving how easy it was to play(easy in the transition). One night on Ebay I saw my Wayne Custom 7 string and at 2:00 AM, I won the bid...it was pricey but I have no regrets!

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
I used to have a 6-string tuned to B for playing Fear Factory (Demanufacuture era), but when I found out about 7-strings, I figured having a guitar that's 'designed' to handle the lower tuning of B would sound better than playing a 6-string dropped down to B.

I was right.

So I picked up an RG7621, and tuned it down to B. Later, when Obsolete came out, I tuned it down to A. And bought a 7420 for B stuff (DT, etc).

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Drew said:
Believe it or not, the symmetry of it all - it sorta bugged me that a six string guitar didn't have a "middle" string, so the idea of a seven sorta clicked for me.

I know, weird, eh? :)

-D

I remember being on stage playing some Rush song and looking down at the fretboard and seeing that middle string and just totally losing my place... I was staring at the fretboard like it had turned into a tuba or something, and the guys in the band thought it was hysterical. It only lasted about 3 seconds but 3 seconds lost on stage is forever. I think I had had the MC about a month. AfterImage from Grace Under Pressure, that was the song. We used to force it on every crowd ;)

Guitarist4JC

Reaction score
I'm new to playing a 7 string, matter a fact just got my first one from UPS yesterday. I listened to KoRn and some of those other cats, but it didn't influence me to switch from the 6 stringer. When I heard a disk by Scott Stine, it opened up my ears a lil more what can be done besides chugging on the low B. After hearing Rusty Cooley, what else can I say 8 weeks later my new axe arrives.

FoxMustang

Reaction score
desertdweller said:
Heard Mirror. Heard Lie.

'nuff said. :scream2:
Ditto that. I got Awake when it came out, and when I sat down to try to figure out the intro to Lie I discovered my guitar didn't go low enough :scratch: Watched the video and damned if his guitar didn't have one more string than mine.

I would wait all week to see this solo on Headbanger's Ball: clicky (~6meg)

Wasn't until 2002 that I actually got a 7-string of my own (when I started earning real disposable income).

rx

Reaction score
nyck said:
Well tommorow my first 7 string is coming and the reason I wanted to start was because the I think the sound of the low B will add a bunch of new sounds to my playing. It will add a completly new dynamic to my sound. So what's your reason?

(I hope this thread isn't a failure...)

to play meshuggah songs. that's about it

Matt

Some random dude
Reaction score
Basically I went through a nu-metal phase (Hey, I was young and didn't know any better) and was tuning my 6 string down to B and A all the time and loving the power of the lower notes. . That stage didn't last to long thankfully and then I got heavily into shred and was trying to reach the highest notes i could, I love the sound of sweep picking and stuff really high so I went back to standard tuning. But then I really missed the low end, everything you played just sounded so much heavier. When I discovered 7 stings It was the perfect solution for me. And I thought that the Universe was the sexiest guitar I'd ever seen. :yum: I still dont have a UV, but I enjoy my GRX 7 string. I just want one with a floating bridge.
And one more thing, the first time I tried a 7 string I fell in love with the neck, it just felt so wide (i guess because it is) and so intimidating to play.

')