Sober Bands

ArchAngel1024

Prog Metalish
Reaction score
I'm getting sick of bands that have some level of drug origins or haven't stayed sober.

Tool's Maynard Keenan was quoted as saying "I think psychedelics play a major part in what we do, but having said that, I feel that if somebody's going to experiment with those things they really need to educate themselves about them. People just taking the chemicals and diving in without having any kind of preparation about what they're about to experience tend to have no frame of reference, so they're missing everything flying by and all these new perspectives. It's just a waste. They reach a little bit of spiritual enlightenment, but they end up going, 'Well, now I need that drug to get back there again.' The trick is to use the drugs once to get there, and maybe spend the next ten years trying to get back there without the drug."

Which I find frustrating.

Les Claypool let me down too. (I always figured he was just eccentric)

"This song, it is about a journey that myself and a good friend had a couple years ago, and.... I'll just say it, we were on hallucinogenic drugs. Sorry Dad. (introducing the song "Over The Electric Grapevine")"

I would think that the guys on G3 are (maybe not satch since the new album) but Vai worked under Zappa (who is known to have fired a friend for wanting to write about pot) for years, so I would think he is, Paul Gilbert seems like he's a sober guy, and teaches enough that it seems VERY unlikely to me. Petrucci doens't seem like he would be either, but I can't cite anything on him.

Does anyone know of any technically sound bands that are sober?
(BTBAM?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll baby!

What difference does it make, really? I've never been drunk or high in my life, but I don't really care that much if they do it. Stevie Ray Vaughan was fucked on drugs in the early part of his career, and he was STILL a force to be reckoned with, and remains one of my idols. I watched his performance at Montreaux in 83 not long ago, and physically he looks like he's about to die, but he still sings, plays, and generally kicks ass like nobody's business. If it doesn't take away from the music, why does it matter?

Unless you're militant straightedge...

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with Rob here, it doesn't bother me if someone does drugs :shrug: and if the music sucks due to them being stoned and stupid all the time I just refer to them as "fucktards" and move on.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Now Eddie Van Halen, on the other hand, is a completely different story, as his substance abuse has brought him to all time lows. I don't think I could call him a fucktard, I've still got too much respect for him to do that, but the word tragedy certainly fits the bill.

ArchAngel1024

Prog Metalish
Reaction score
Some stuff I have a dislike that's rational, but others I just dislike.

Weed for example, my mom has MS and actually has limited movement and coordination, and it frustrates her to the point where she gets overwhelmed, and the idea that people would actually do that just because pisses me off.

Hallicinogens and things to some extent have the same effect, because you don't have control over what you do, the drug is in control of you, while your mind is somewhere else. I've seen people getting shot at by police claiming to be Tarzan because they were on lsd.

It's stupid, and I'm just looking for some bands that share the same beliefs in that.

And I do understand that a lot of times it's the pressure that gets them, a friend of mine summed it up well
(1:11:19 AM) Me: WHY IS IT SO HARD TO FIND GOOD ROLE MODELS!?!?
(1:12:27 AM) Austin: because as success increases, so does pressure
(1:12:50 AM) Austin: pressure and stress affect judgment, impaired judgment leads to bad decisions
(1:13:53 AM) Austin: plus people are people, and most don't understand dangers until they experience them

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Hallicinogens and things to some extent have the same effect, because you don't have control over what you do, the drug is in control of you, while your mind is somewhere else. I've seen people getting shot at by police claiming to be Tarzan because they were on lsd.

This not entirely true for everyone, drugs affect people differently. If you're an idiot sober, you're going to be a MAJOR idiot and a danger to everyone when fucked up.

And who is looking for a role model?

ArchAngel1024

Prog Metalish
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about halucinogens' effects on people, and nobody, it was just a reference point.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but you're looking in the wrong place for role models. If you're going to look at anyone, look at someone like Eric Clapton, who went through years of alcoholism, and emerged from it stronger than ever, and with a real heart for the people who were suffering the same affliction.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about halucinogens' effects on people, and nobody, it was just a reference point.

LSD majorly fucks with your perception, and can cause you to see and hear things that aren't there. But, from my experience it was mainly a perception thing, and all of my senses were a bit exaggerated, light blurs for some reason :lol: I guess since it delays the reaction in your brain to recognise sight.

I can definetly understand how under large doses, and long repeated, constant use large problems can occur.

It's a fun/interesting experiment! :lol:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Stevie Ray Vaughan was fucked on drugs in the early part of his career, and he was STILL a force to be reckoned with, and remains one of my idols. I watched his performance at Montreaux in 83 not long ago, and physically he looks like he's about to die, but he still sings, plays, and generally kicks ass like nobody's business.

Now Eddie Van Halen, on the other hand, is a completely different story, as his substance abuse has brought him to all time lows. I don't think I could call him a fucktard, I've still got too much respect for him to do that, but the word tragedy certainly fits the bill.

See, SRV hit that spot, and turned back. His low was "Soul to Soul" and the following horrible tour. I've seen videos from those shows, and he is just a burnt out wreck. He did the national anthem at a baseball game, and got booed.

Too often, I think drugs steal the credit for the fire and passion of youth. Then when the artist quits years later, and the different approach to songwriting--not to mention the incredibly life changing event of almost killing yourself and returning sober--gets ignored when he doesn't play music like he did ten years before. I'm sure we could dig up examples of musicians without substance abuse problems, who wrote a bunch of cool shit, and then got older and just can't keep the edge.

Youth and hunger never gets enough credit. Just because your favorite musician does drugs, doesn't mean he does drugs onstage, in the studio, or at practice. How often do you hear about the guys in Rush being totally wasted up there?

neon_black88

Reaction score
I've seen people getting shot at by police claiming to be Tarzan because they were on lsd.

Holy shit that kid thinks he's Tarzan... SHOOT HIM?

Where did you see this and how did you know specifically he was on lsd, and why were they shooting at him?

It sounds like one of those storys everyone hears about lsd like, man jumps out of a 10 story window because he thinks he's a bird, or man looses sight staring at the sun.

"My friend" has done managable doses of lsd and it's been nothing but fun and everyone was in control the whole time because everyone knew what they were getting into and NOT to act like a dick. It's not a party drug. It's like going to another planet, you have to be prepared.

Having said that I have no idea why you would choose your music preferance over what kind of chemicals the people who play it injest.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I think you're talking about PCP, not LSD. PCP is the drug that makes you feel no pain, think you can fly, run around naked, and kill cops. :lol:

neon_black88

Reaction score

Sorry but Devin Townsend and Gene hoglan have talked about smoking pot with Steve Vai in his basement/recording studio.

I think you're talking about PCP, not LSD. PCP is the drug that makes you feel no pain, think you can fly, run around naked, and kill cops.

And yeah PCP is what made James brown fire a shot gun to the roof in a crowded room because "someone used his personal toilet" followed by a chase accross two(?) states.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
From what I've studied about psychology in college, teenagers generally try to break away from their previous role models (ie parents) and find a new one outside of that. I think what happened was when I was just going into my teens the reformed and cleaned up Red Hot Chili Peppers were my heroes and so became my role models. I seriously love that band. :)

')