Sober Bands

ArchAngel1024

Prog Metalish
Reaction score
Ok. I think this has seriously got a bit out of hand. The OP was just looking for some bands that he can relate to on a lifestyle level. I can relate to that as someone who is straight edge.

I wouldn't go far enough to dislike a band because of drug use (unless they're promoting it. I'd say that most of my musical heroes have used drugs at one time or another (Vai, Satch, Borland, etc.) and it would be nice to have guys dong similar things as you so you don't feel... well... separate is the only word that really comes to mind. I can relate to how he's feeling.

And 7SoH: stop acting so god damn persecuted. :rolleyes:

Thank you! this is exactly what I was about to say.:yesway:

I'm just looking for some bands that are straight edge/sober and bringing up Claypool and Tool was just a kind of introduction/related matter.

And on the matter of Maynard Keenan, since he had a kid, he sobered up. The album 13th Step (A perfect circle) is actually about the recovery of friends of his from drugs, from their perspectives. He's also had a lot of anger issues :mad: (he was a marine-veteran and his mom was confined to a wheelchair for life, but was devoted to her religion, he couldn't understand that having been in war, and lashed out in a bunch of ways, their early work is a strong reflection of that).

I didn't say that I wasn't going to keep listening to the bands, just that I was disappointed in finding out that some of these guys weren't always sober. :squint:

Now, share some good bands that are straight-edge/sober most of the time

BTBAM is a vegan band btw.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you! this is exactly what I was about to say.:yesway:

I'm just looking for some bands that are straight edge/sober and bringing up Claypool and Tool was just a kind of introduction/related matter.

And on the matter of Maynard Keenan, since he had a kid, he sobered up. The album 13th Step (A perfect circle) is actually about the recovery of friends of his from drugs, from their perspectives. He's also had a lot of anger issues :mad: (he was a marine-veteran and his mom was confined to a wheelchair for life, but was devoted to her religion, he couldn't understand that having been in war, and lashed out in a bunch of ways, their early work is a strong reflection of that).

I didn't say that I wasn't going to keep listening to the bands, just that I was disappointed in finding out that some of these guys weren't always sober. :squint:

Now, share some good bands that are straight-edge/sober most of the time

BTBAM is a vegan band btw.

No probs man. :) We're a rare breed anyway.

Are BTBAM straight edge or not then? :scratch:

And vegans scare the shit out of me... :ugh:

ArchAngel1024

Prog Metalish
Reaction score
No probs man. :) We're a rare breed anyway.

Are BTBAM straight edge or not then? :scratch:

And vegans scare the shit out of me... :ugh:

I think they are, or at least some of them.

And vegans are like nazi's or something, they parade about saying meat is murder o_O

I was in Vermont at a Static-X show in October and there was a car with a license plate that said VEGAN1 and they had leather interiors. :spock: I laughed, hard.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
I think they are, or at least some of them.

And vegans are like nazi's or something, they parade about saying meat is murder o_O

I was in Vermont at a Static-X show in October and there was a car with a license plate that said VEGAN1 and they had leather interiors. :spock: I laughed, hard.

Right now is the first time I listened to them and I like what I hear. :lol:

Vegans are psychos! They won't use ANYTHING to do with animals. And if you do then you are the scum of the Earth. Think PETA "Fur is murder!" but irrationally so. :ugh: I'm incredibly pro-animal rights and I love the 'lil buggers but there's such thing as taking it too far.

And that's funny stuff dude! :rofl: Maybe he was being ironic?

ArchAngel1024

Prog Metalish
Reaction score
Right now is the first time I listened to them and I like what I hear. :lol:

Vegans are psychos! They won't use ANYTHING to do with animals. And if you do then you are the scum of the Earth. Think PETA "Fur is murder!" but irrationally so. :ugh: I'm incredibly pro-animal rights and I love the 'lil buggers but there's such thing as taking it too far.

And that's funny stuff dude! :rofl: Maybe he was being ironic?

If you mean BTBAM, listen to "Ants of The Sky" form Colors, and "Selkies:The Endless Obsession" from Alaska

If you mean Static-X, anything off Start a War and Wisconsin Death Trip.

And it was pretty ridiculous at the time xD

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
You can't be a great artist and still be "normal". I think some artists alter their chemistry to try to be less normal and some alter it to escape pain. There are "sober" artists, but what does that mean? To me, not much. No human can be perfect in every way. I know a lot of abstainers that are absolutely insufferable.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
I deffenetly would not recommend smoking weed while on LSD if your trying to calm down. It intensifies the trip 2x. Out of the two times i've smoked weed while on acid, the first one I was stuck under a tree staring at it for a couple of hours. The second time I layed down on my bed for a couple of hours. So I guess your right in a way, that it makes you not want to move or talk to anyone. But it usually puts your mind into overdrive and makes things much more confusing, while normally im happy to walk around to talk to people.

Anyway the point is, don't combine them your first time, its a totally different experience to just tripping by itself. Other downers are different though.

Wow this thread has gone in the complete wrong direction than was intended. Sorry for derail.

I would think that interaction with others (preferably others on the same "plane" as you at the time :lol:) would be a good thing. Isolating behavior I think it one of the most dangerous things you can do to your self with drugs, the drug could become your only "friend" and all you really care about.

Also, about the thread getting out of hand, it certainly has gone farther than the intention of the original post, but I like the discussion. Talking about drugs and revealing truths and misconceptions is always an interesting topic.

Codyyy

The Flip-Flopper
Reaction score
Dude, I would want to try LSD, but I'm already a paranoid mess. And I feel like I would take it, become paranoid about having a bad trip, and thus throw myself into a bad trip.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
to the OP:

christian metal. do it.

Codyyy

The Flip-Flopper
Reaction score
Yeah.

DON'T

Aw man :(

I was hoping you'd pop in and say something like "DUDE! No worries! Bad trips are a myth! You will be fine, and I will need you to pm me your home address so I can send you a sample to try out, for which I will take the hit (no pun intended) for the shipping charges of course."

:shrug:

ArchAngel1024

Prog Metalish
Reaction score
to the OP:

christian metal. do it.

I smell an anon. And yeah, I realize a lot of Christian bands are straight edge. I work with my church a lot (Do NOT mistake me for the blind Christian:nono:, I make my own choices based on my own ideas and believe in a just God. My beliefs however also include the possibility that I'm wrong and any number of ideas are right, I accept my religions flaws, and move past them, I trust you will too).

One of my favorite punk core/almost Christian band's is He is Legend, they played at The Soulfest a year ago, so they're a borderline band (amazing show btw). :lol:

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Aw man :(

I was hoping you'd pop in and say something like "DUDE! No worries! Bad trips are a myth! You will be fine, and I will need you to pm me your home address so I can send you a sample to try out, for which I will take the hit (no pun intended) for the shipping charges of course."

:shrug:

Like I stated before, personality quirks can be made much worse with drugs, if you truly are "paranoid" I wouldn't recommend fucking with your perception. Or I'll least I'll make sure I'm no where near you at the time! :lol:

neon_black88

Reaction score
I would think that interaction with others (preferably others on the same "plane" as you at the time :lol:) would be a good thing. Isolating behavior I think it one of the most dangerous things you can do to your self with drugs, the drug could become your only "friend" and all you really care about.

Also, about the thread getting out of hand, it certainly has gone farther than the intention of the original post, but I like the discussion. Talking about drugs and revealing truths and misconceptions is always an interesting topic.

Thats what I was saying it is a good thing to be interacting with people. Weed usually makes it the other way, to hard to communicate properly and way less social. More introspective and "in your head" way more thinking which is hard to control.

Don't read this if your sick of druggy talk!

And yeah bad trips arn't a myth. I've never had one but I've had little flashes of it. I was sitting at my computer listening to necrophagist with my mate and the music was just way to intense for him, and suddenly his face looked like two exact copys side to side. Like someone just took one side of his face and copyed it and flipped over to the other side. Then instead of vague breathing walls my whole vision went like I was looking at everything through a heat haze. I got this massive feeling of "holy shit what have I goten into?" so I got the fuck out of that room and everything went back to normal. It felt very much like I was slipping into something bad. But when I was out of the room everything was good and we went back to talking about Alien Space Dj's and such.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Thats what I was saying it is a good thing to be interacting with people. Weed usually makes it the other way, to hard to communicate properly and way less social. More introspective and "in your head" way more thinking which is hard to control.

Don't read this if your sick of druggy talk!

And yeah bad trips arn't a myth. I've never had one but I've had little flashes of it. I was sitting at my computer listening to necrophagist with my mate and the music was just way to intense for him, and suddenly his face looked like two exact copys side to side. Like someone just took one side of his face and copyed it and flipped over to the other side. Then instead of vague breathing walls my whole vision went like I was looking at everything through a heat haze. I got this massive feeling of "holy shit what have I goten into?" so I got the fuck out of that room and everything went back to normal. It felt very much like I was slipping into something bad. But when I was out of the room everything was good and we went back to talking about Alien Space Dj's and such.

"I've had good times on drugs, and I've had bad times on drugs. I've had good and bad sex too, but I'm not giving up pussy!" - Bill Hicks

neon_black88

Reaction score
"I've had good times on drugs, and I've had bad times on drugs. I've had good and bad sex too, but I'm not giving up pussy!" - Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks :wub:

He's a good guy to listen to if you have fixed idea's about wheather drugs are "right" or "wrong".

He's a good guy to listen to about anything really.

Edit: Or should I say 'was'.

daybean

Contributor
Reaction score
bill hicks,: "if you don't believe that drugs have enhanced your life, then take all your cds and burn them! cause all those musicians were reeeealllyyyyyyyyyy fffuuuuuckkkkin high!!!"

-somewhere along those lines he said, i think?

ogisha007

Reaction score
I don't really get the idea that artists cannot create good music if they're straight. Maybe some can't because they don't really have any creativity in them or if they've used themselves up during the years of their career, so they resort to alcohol/drugs, in hope that they may become their muse. Others just seem to have an addiction and don't bother to get rid of it. I congratulate those who do, or at least try to.

Having that said, I think everyone has a right to do pretty much what they want as long as they don't endanger others in the process. It's their life.

As far as I'm concerned, a can or two of beer has been my peak, and I intend to stay that way. Drugs, nah. I'll just get addicted, and I don't have the money for a steady supply :lol:

')