Soccer / Football - All things here :)

• Thread starter Sebastian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
untitled-1241kuw.gif

Justice League feels disappointed.

Bruce's gonna spend his night w/ beetches.

How it was supposed to be
iA7wygWDGQcm1.gif

what really happened
5ya76XS.jpg

..I don't have a comment for this one
iu2QGuCKlelBw.gif

Omg, I nearly died with all of those. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
It's kinda funny that other countries hate the South Korean squad. I'm gonna have to tell my coworkers that :lol:.

Anyone wanna elaborate a bit on why, so I don't have to watch that eleven minute video some posted explaining why? haha.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
2002 Japan-South Korea World Cup. South Korea played some horrible matches against Italy, Portugal, Spain, and other teams. They played dirty and were very violent. They'd rarely get called out for it. The opposing teams had goals nullified for no reason. As a result, those teams were knocked out of the WC. I think it was Germany who finally put them in their place and sent them home after a rough match. Some would like to say the referee(s) was(were) in those games was paid off.

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
I also cant be bothered to watch the video so I'm working on my memory here
Basically they cheated when they hosted the World Cup. The referees were being absurdly lenient towards the South Korean Squad, whilst being absurdly harsh on their opponents (to the point where they were disallowing goals for absolutely no reason)
The Korean squad knew the deal, and took advantage of the fact that they would be basically absolved from any decisions against them, which basically ended up in them playing horribly, putting in challenges that would warrant a red card by even the most forgiving of refs
So yeah, fvck 'em

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Heartbreaking tie at the last second, but a super quality game I think. Only caught the second half.

Thursday is gonna be a nail biter.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
So does the US pretty much HAVE to beat Germany now to make the next round? Would a draw do the trick? Any way they can lose and still make it through?

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
We advance with a win or a draw. I'm pretty sure there is a way we squeak by even if we lose, depending on what happens with Portugal-Ghana, but I'm not sure exactly what the condition is.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Maybe if we lose and Portugal and Ghana draw? That'd leave us with 4 points but they'd each only have 2.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Maybe if we lose and Portugal and Ghana draw? That'd leave us with 4 points but they'd each only have 2.

That's a possibility. Apparently we can also lose, and depending on our margin of loss and the margin of victory of the other match, still make it:

If the United States loses, Ghana would qualify instead if either game is decided by a margin of two goals or more. If the U.S. loses by one goal, Ghana would need to win by two goals or be involved in a higher-scoring one-goal win. For instance, a 1-0 scoreline in both games would put the United States through on head-to-head. So, if the U.S. loses 1-0, then Ghana must win 2-1 to qualify on goals scored.

To surpass the U.S., Portugal will need a goal-difference swing of five (head-to-head is level). So for instance, Portugal would need to win 3-0 and U.S. lose 2-0, among other equivalent scorelines. The teams will draw lots if goal difference is identical (this would happen with a 3-0 U.S. defeat and a 2-0 Portugal win, for example).

Shit's confusing, yo.

Zado

Reaction score
. Some would like to say the referee(s) was(were) in those games was paid off.
He was paid,or at least he was said to let the host team win.FIFA always denied to have something to do with that.Yeah,FIFA,sure.There's probably a whole world of things FIFA did at least in the last decade,that we can't even imaging,and they don't want people to know.

In this WC the goal balance is the main factor considered to advance.US has way more chances than Portugal to qualify,but there a possibility to see US and Germany having a programmed draw ("biscotto",bisquit as we say in Italy:lol: ),which is not something uber dirty or illegal,just convenient for both teams (though Germany might want to destroy whoever comes next after the draw with Ghana).

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
The more matches are played the more it looks like winning this World Cup will be as hard as surviving an enema of gravel...:scratch:

Centrix

Reaction score
He was paid,or at least he was said to let the host team win.FIFA always denied to have something to do with that.Yeah,FIFA,sure.There's probably a whole world of things FIFA did at least in the last decade,that we can't even imaging,and they don't want people to know.

In this WC the goal balance is the main factor considered to advance.US has way more chances than Portugal to qualify,but there a possibility to see US and Germany having a programmed draw ("biscotto",bisquit as we say in Italy:lol: ),which is not something uber dirty or illegal,just convenient for both teams (though Germany might want to destroy whoever comes next after the draw with Ghana).

Joachim Low was Klinsmann's second coach when he was in front of the Germany squad a couple years back.

So yeah, I wouldn't be too surprised if we see a suspicious draw.

chinnybob

Reaction score
Since England are out I think I'll be throwing some support the way of the USA, I've been mightily impressed by them so far! I'd back them to get second in the group and in all likelihood that'd mean Belgium in the round of 16, and they've been pretty ordinary so a quarter final isn't unrealistic, but beyond that they'll run into Argentina...

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
I like the USA squad but it would be disastrous if they won the world cup. The smugness would be palpable
I think my support will be going towards the Croatians, though I think Holland will be winning this one

chinnybob

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the smugness, one thing that's really endeared the American team to me has been their approach to the game, they seem to be very good sports! Someone was saying that unlike in Europe and South America, in the USA diving and gamesmanship is pretty much non-existent for that exact reason. Maybe as the game becomes more popular and competitive and the stakes get higher it'll start to pervade their game but for now it's quite refreshing. It would be nice if this World Cup makes football more popular across the pond, too.

As far as winning it goes, my heart says Brazil because that would be the best party ever. My head says Holland are a safe bet and they've got a pretty straightforward run at the final now that they've won their group, but my hot tip is France. Nobody was talking about them before the tournament because they were so woeful last time, but they've been the most impressive out of everyone so far. No pressure on them either, they're not expected to do well. Can see them comfortably beating anyone in this kind of form!

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
I really meant smugness coming from Americans in general, rather than the squad. I can imagine it now: "HAHAHAHAH, we don't even play this sport and we're the best at it 'MURICAAA"

Actually it's funny you mention France because I had considered them to be one of the teams who were more likely to do well in this WC, but that was before Ribery got injured.
They seem to be doing ok without him though.

Centrix

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the smugness, one thing that's really endeared the American team to me has been their approach to the game, they seem to be very good sports! Someone was saying that unlike in Europe and South America, in the USA diving and gamesmanship is pretty much non-existent for that exact reason. Maybe as the game becomes more popular and competitive and the stakes get higher it'll start to pervade their game but for now it's quite refreshing. It would be nice if this World Cup makes football more popular across the pond, too.

As far as winning it goes, my heart says Brazil because that would be the best party ever. My head says Holland are a safe bet and they've got a pretty straightforward run at the final now that they've won their group, but my hot tip is France. Nobody was talking about them before the tournament because they were so woeful last time, but they've been the most impressive out of everyone so far. No pressure on them either, they're not expected to do well. Can see them comfortably beating anyone in this kind of form!

France definitely got a shot, not only because of the reasons you mentioned but also because it's quite a young squad... they are thirsty for success :yesway:

')