Solar A2.6W - Unboxing and review

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
OK. so what is the advantage of OFR? I can play a 40 minute show and my guitar doesn't go out of tune. If a string breaks I can have a new one on in 30 seconds. The hipshot is also flat on the body like an OFR. Where is the benefit of a trem if you're not using a bar?

OFRs are like condoms. You would be glad to know they are there when you need 'em.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Se7enHeaven

Reaction score
I don't mind Floyd bridges, but I do find the Ibanez Edge to be more stable and usable (less de-tuning with use). I find I have to tune up more often with regular Floyd use. It helps to pre-stretch the strings (String Stretcha device).

Amenthea

Reaction score
Nice looking guitar, and white/black always works for me, but I don't like the headstock design. It puts me off Keisels and stuff like that as well. Took me years to get over Ibanez's and I can't have a Jackson with that pointy tip (if they make a Monarkh with a revers pointy headstock, instant buy).

I grew up on LP's and have a heavy right hand, (I also palm mute a lot) so I never have got on with floating trems myself. I like it when there are decent alternatives bridge wise on a 'metal' guitar.

alessandroarzilli

Reaction score
Yes, not everybody likes pointy headstocks, but I guess most (if not all) Solar guitars are coming with the same one, adapted for six seven or eight strings.
I personally like this kind of headstocks, I've never really owned a guitar with a more rounded or classic one and before replying to this comment I never realised all my guitars had pointy ones.
Samick KR-660, Gibson Flying V (sold), Jackson SL-2h, Jackson JS22-7 and now this A2.6W.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
Floyds and their quality licensed variants are the best bridges ever made. Period.

They are a part of Metal history but they have a ton of problems. I was setting up a guitar with an OFR last night and the time spend is larger than with other bridges and like I said many time the fine tuners stink. I still love using them but they are far from flawless.

Yes, not everybody likes pointy headstocks, but I guess most (if not all) Solar guitars are coming with the same one, adapted for six seven or eight strings..

I assume that this is done to keep the costs down rather than from a taste perspective.

Se7enHeaven

Reaction score
They are a part of Metal history but they have a ton of problems. I was setting up a guitar with an OFR last night and the time spend is larger than with other bridges and like I said many time the fine tuners stink. I still love using them but they are far from flawless.

I assume that this is done to keep the costs down rather than from a taste perspective.

It's more of a trademark thing, like adding the Solar logo at the 12th fret (according to Ola).

Musiscience

Reaction score
Floyds and their quality licensed variants are the best bridges ever made. Period.

If I need a trem, I'd always take a 510 over an OFR.

OFR are generally speaking a pain in the ass. Unless you plan on abusing the trem or doing a lot of divebombs, why bother with all the cons?

For me at least, the best bridge is the Schaller Hannes.

trem licking

Reaction score
Actually, if you are dealing with a non decked 2 point trem, you might as well have a Floyd. They are superior in every way. Pretty sure I've listed these advantages on here before, but I don't mind doing it again.
1. No nut maintenance. Ever. Floyd nut takes all string sizes. Don't like turning a hex wrench 3 times? Take off locking pads. You now have a universal, max slip nut
2. Don't use the bar? Block the Floyd SUPER easily. You now have a fixed bridge. With fine tuners. Only dive? Half block it once. Done. Super versatile.
3. "But string changing a non blocked Floyd is a pain in the ass"... How about just reuse the strings you break? Wind extra string at the tuning post upon restringing. When the string breaks (9 times out of 10 at the bridge) unlock the locking nut, pull down more string, reinsert into trem n relock, stretch and viola! SUPER quick and easy string fix (very handy at gigs if you don't have a backup guitar)
4. Floyd is the king of all things vibrato. It can do huge ups and downs, as everyone knows, but it's also easier to do subtle vibrato as the string length you are moving is shorter (because the strings are locked at the nut)
5. They stay in tune. Always. I gigged for years without a tuner because I never needed one... Leave room on that pedalboard for more exciting pedals.

There are so many ways they are the best, even if you aren't a whammyer. Everyone should just realize that and use them :)

Matt08642

Reaction score
Some of you guys get really bent out of shape over this whole "debate". :lol:

Clearly literally all hardware has someone who will think it's the best. Many very successful musicians swear by Floyd Rose, many swear by Hipshot, many swear by Schaller, many swear by Evertune, etc

Some people hate the setup of a Floyd, some don't mind at all (myself included), some people don't incorporate trem work in to their playing, some do it extensively. Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai are both insanely proficient players, Paul uses mostly hardtail, Steve uses mostly Edge/Lo-Pro Edge trems. Are you going to say you 100% know better than either of them and can definitively say one of them is "wrong" when it comes to their choice?

What I'm saying is, I've been seeing this debate on forums for nearly 20 years. It's never changed, and literally never will change. People like what they like, there is no "best" for everyone.

trem licking

Reaction score
Yes, they are wrong. Lol

In all seriousness, I just like to point out things about Floyds that people may not realize. Or just toss a tip or 2 out that may help someone. I have some hardtails... Acoustics and 9 string haha

alessandroarzilli

Reaction score
I think every guitarist should have at least one guitar with a good tremolo bar (FR or not).
Solar guitars with FR? Not really my favorite combination.

Musiscience

Reaction score
There are so many ways they are the best, even if you aren't a whammyer. Everyone should just realize that and use them :)

I have owned 5 guitars with a Floyd, used live, in studio and at home. They are good bridges depending on what you are looking for, I just like the 510 or other non-locking a lot better. When gigging in the winter (which is VERY cold up here in Canada), I needed to unlock the nut every single gig because the wood had moved a lot and the fine tuners were simply not sufficient. It really was a pain in the butt for my situation. One of these was a custom shop Jackson, one a PRS core Custom 24 and the other a custom shop Washburn (WM526), so not cheap or badly built/set-up guitars. Sold all of them in favor of guitars with other non-locking trem systems.

The best trem equipped guitar I had (again, for my situation), was a roasted maple neck JP6. It was barely moving because of the roasted neck, and if it did just a little, I could slightly tune it before the gig and voilà! Always in tune after using the trem too.

TL;DR: I'm not trashing Floyds, they are good bridges depending on your situations. But, they can also be hell.

alessandroarzilli

Reaction score
I guess the intonation maintaining depends on a lot of different factors, as you mentioned. I personally own a Samick KR-660 (with a brand new replica FR installed on it) and an original SL-2h soloist.
The Jackson seems to keep the tuning for months playing daily (not joking), while the Samick goes slightly out of tune after every day of playing.
However, lets go back to the original topic, shall we? My new A2.6W has a fixed bridge and ImI very happy with it, since it stays in tune perfectly and is very easy to Palm mute with. What's your opinions on this guitar? I still believe it's quite of a bargain

Se7enHeaven

Reaction score
I'm aiming for my second Solar, and so I'm with you on the playability, feel and price of the guitars. However, I'm also going for the more expensive slime green 7-string with the Floyd. I enjoy playing the S1.6ETC so much that I'm hoping the 7-string will match its mojo.