Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metropolis

Reaction score
For all those who have Solar guitars, how does the neck compare to say, an Ibanez Prestige Wizard?

Solar is thicker and C-shaped and gets thicker after 12th fret because they're set-neck or neck-through, Wizard is more like a thin D-shape and it doesn't get that thick in the higher frets. Prestige Wizard and Wizard HP are thinnest necks I've had in 6-string guitars, but I found the profile to be very comfortable and easy playing. I think there is about 2mm difference in thickness, which is quite a lot when talking about guitar necks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
For all those who have Solar guitars, how does the neck compare to say, an Ibanez Prestige Wizard?

The Solar neck is the total opposite of an Ibanez Wizard. It's actually very close to a Music Man JP neck, maybe slightly rounder though. It's incredibly round with no flat spot at all.

Rocktoe

Reaction score

Solar neck is rounder and deeper compared to the neck of my RG3120, doesn't feel as wide either. Actually it's rounder and deeper than the neck of my DT420 as well, and that neck is one of the thicker Ibanez necks.

Really comfortable for me since I learned to play with Strats: It's like a slimmer Fender modern C shape in my opinion.

Edit: Heh, seems like everyone already said the the same thing. Darn forum view showed no other replies when I started to write mine.

Last edited:

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies on the neck! think I'll need to try one out, I've fallen for the Prestige Wizard neck shape and might need to reconsider.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
I saw Kirk Windstein with a Solar. What's the deal?

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello there! Had to sign up, since there aren't that much discussion going on about Solars. Got a question: are the back of the necks gloss or satin? The S1.6PP has a matte finish all over the front, but you never know with these...

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Hello there! Had to sign up, since there aren't that much discussion going on about Solars. Got a question: are the back of the necks gloss or satin? The S1.6PP has a matte finish all over the front, but you never know with these...
Solar's are consistent with their finish. Meaning if it's matte on top, the back of the neck will also be matte. If the top is glossy, sadly the neck will also be glossy.

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Solar's are consistent with their finish. Meaning if it's matte on top, the back of the neck will also be matte. If the top is glossy, sadly the neck will also be glossy.

Alright, thank you for answering! Well, it seems that I'll be ordering one for myself, even though I already have 3 guitars all in standard tuning, but like Yngwie says: more is more...

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ordered my S1.6PP about a week ago, can't wait to have it as it starts shipping on 11th of April! Although, I can't deny that I'm not a little bit worried about the color! The website clearly shows that the whole body is purple and the burst edges are darker in color - same with the purple burst Ola uses in his Boss Tube amp Expander video, but the pics I've seen here give a somewhat different image...Well, I hope for the best!

Last edited:

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wonder if the Covid19-situation has finally started affecting shipping around EU, as the Solar website now states that for the S1.6PP shipping starts at the end of May...

Reaction score
I wonder if the Covid19-situation has finally started affecting shipping around EU, as the Solar website now states that for the S1.6PP shipping starts at the end of May...

Last I heard from Ola was that they were shipping as normal. Could just out of stock at the moment?

Or it's entirely true. I work in supply chain logistics for a major ocean carrier and can confirm that we're impacted heavily all over the place.

Blakan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ordered my S1.6PP about a week ago, can't wait to have it as it starts shipping on 11th of April! Although, I can't deny that I'm not a little bit worried about the color! The website clearly shows that the whole body is purple and the burst edges are darker in color - same with the purple burst Ola uses in his Boss Tube amp Expander video, but the pics I've seen here give a somewhat different image...Well, I hope for the best!

Same, the S1.6PP looks amazing on the website but i've seen like one other video and a few pictures with a finish i don't really like.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Looks like they made a running change and started finishing them in the same style as the blue bursts.

Blakan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry if this is annoying, but could @Ola Englund comment on the S1,6PP's finish? I'm really close to buying but I just want to make sure

Rocktoe

Reaction score
It also seems they've made changes to A1.6D and all distressed finishes: They now have this funky black paint in the center of the body:
A1.6D-27-LTD-DETAIL.png

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looks like they made a running change and started finishing them in the same style as the blue bursts.

I don't know, maybe I'm oldfashioned but if this is the case, it would be kinda nice to get some information from Solar and Ola and get some updates and everything. As of now, I've paid my 12 months of savings in advance to preorder a guitar that might come out completely different looking than what was advertised and what I thought I was getting. If the S1.6PP comes out looking like what i've seen, of course that'll be a hassle of returning it. On other note, weird that Lime Green bursts have been nice from what I've gathered. I want to like Solars and Ola, but if the designs have been changed middle of preorder, while they have succesfully made guitars with the original purple burst desing, it's just big bs in my opinion.

')