Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rocktoe

Reaction score
I don't know, maybe I'm oldfashioned but if this is the case, it would be kinda nice to get some information from Solar and Ola and get some updates and everything. As of now, I've paid my 12 months of savings in advance to preorder a guitar that might come out completely different looking than what was advertised and what I thought I was getting. If the S1.6PP comes out looking like what i've seen, of course that'll be a hassle of returning it. On other note, weird that Lime Green bursts have been nice from what I've gathered. I want to like Solars and Ola, but if the designs have been changed middle of preorder, while they have succesfully made guitars with the original purple burst desing, it's just big bs in my opinion.

Yeah, it's understandable. I ordered a A1.6D two months ago and am kinda nervous now that I've seen new distressed models coming out with that big black center instead of the original natural finish.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I would probably like the all natural finish personally. This guitar looks like someone air brushed black in the middle. It wouldn't be to hard to refinish it at least if you wanted. It's a nice looking chunk-o-wood. Nice looking guitar.

Rocktoe

Reaction score
I would probably like the all natural finish personally. This guitar looks like someone air brushed black in the middle. It wouldn't be to hard to refinish it at least if you wanted. It's a nice looking chunk-o-wood. Nice looking guitar.

It's not a big deal I guess: If they deliver something other than what I purchased, there's a 14 day return policy that I can use. Kinda sucks that Solar makes you pay for the returns, but oh well.

Last edited:

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's not a big deal I guess: If they deliver something other than what I purchased, there's a 14 day return policy that I can use. Kinda sucks that Solar makes you pay for the returns, but oh well.

Yeah that kinda sucks too! The biggest problem here for me, is the lack of communication: if they indeed have changed designs on preorder guitars, would it really been too much to ask that they email those who have already paid for the preorder along the lines of "hey, we changed this and that because reasons 1-10, now the guitar will look like this: Is this new design ok with you, or do you want your money back or maybe change your order to something that is more aligned with what you want". End of rant, I'm just nervous and worried but I do my best to stay hopeful that when the guitar arrives in a week / beginning of june, I'll be blown away by the purple radiance.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Yeh, If you ordered one specific guitar, then then send you a different guitar, then you either don't have to pay shipping back if you don't want to keep it, ot you get reimbursed for it. But this depends on the deal you made when you purchased it. It might be in terms somwhere that these changes are possible on preorders etc. IF it's not and you have a protection program through your bank you can get everything righted that way. It seems to me that Solar is a good company nand fair from wheat I've read and hear. I wouldn't worry or specualte about anything before that ship has sailed. They might just be smart enough to know where to draw the line with customer orders before implementing the changes. Makes sense to me. Technically a new finish would be a new model number extention so I'm guessing it's probably handled that way.

Iron1

Old School Blacksmith
Reaction score
Ola's good people. I've only heard one story of someone not having a great experience and Ola jumped through hoops to make it right for them. But, you might want to get out ahead of this and send them an email with your thoughts/concerns in advance instead of waiting to discover whether it's all good or your fears come true.

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ola's good people. I've only heard one story of someone not having a great experience and Ola jumped through hoops to make it right for them. But, you might want to get out ahead of this and send them an email with your thoughts/concerns in advance instead of waiting to discover whether it's all good or your fears come true.

You're 100% right and I completely agree with you, it's easy to start blaming things before things have even happened and I'm more than guilty in that sense. And you're right also in that sense that why I didn't even think about writing an email to Solar? I must be getting finally old, I'll write to them later tonight and ask about the colors and shipping dates etc.

Ola Englund

Reaction score
hey Guys, sorry for not responding too often, I don’t hang here that often(I got an email from someone in here about this current discussion so here I am). As many of the awesome people in here have said, sending us an email is the best way to get a safe and proper answer from us , it’s for a reason we’d like to keep it like that because it’s easier for us to handle.
Cheers!

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Big salute for Ola and Xavier and all the guys at Solar, answering within two hours of sending them an email, that is kinda rare these days!

Last edited:

Kovah

Reaction score
Does anyone here know what the body thickness of Solar Vs is? I'm GASing really hard for a V1.7 FBB but they look thick.

Rocktoe

Reaction score
Big salute for Ola and Xavier and all the guys at Solar, answering within two hours of sending them an email, that is kinda rare these days!

I didn't receive any answer yet, but here's hoping they'll answer soon.

Rocktoe

Reaction score
I didn't receive any answer yet, but here's hoping they'll answer soon.

And that's indeed what they did! Too bad they told me the finish of natural aged/distressed guitars includes the black center now, so I ended up cancelling my order.

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And that's indeed what they did! Too bad they told me the finish of natural aged/distressed guitars includes the black center now, so I ended up cancelling my order.

I ended up cancelling my order on S1.6PP too, kinda shame but oh well... I'll try ordering again in a month or two, and maybe I'll order it from Thomann, just because their policy on return shipping and maybe order other stuff at the same time - and I'm not dissing Solars policies at all here, as I don't have experience on Solars policies as I cancelled my order before they had even shipped anything to me.

Overall, I'm more than happy with my experience with Solar, their fast answer time on emails is something worth of praise! And they didn't even seem to be that much annoyed with my questions about colors and everything, so all good in my book.

Last edited:

Cryovillain

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Burst / Burl finishes can be inconsistent, although i think ti would be nice if the site had a gallery of multiple specimens from different runs. I too would be disappointed if the purple burst wasn't super purple looking.

Rocktoe

Reaction score
I ended up cancelling my order on S1.6PP too, kinda shame but oh well... I'll try ordering again in a month or two, and maybe I'll order it from Thomann, just because their policy on return shipping and maybe order other stuff at the same time - and I'm not dissing Solars policies at all here, as I don't have experience on Solars policies as I cancelled my order before they had even shipped anything to me.

Overall, I'm more than happy with my experience with Solar, their fast answer time on emails is something worth of praise! And they didn't even seem to be that much annoyed with my questions about colors and everything, so all good in my book.

I think I'll look into ordering some other Solar model as well: They're still excellent guitars with options that are difficult to find elsewhere.

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think I'll look into ordering some other Solar model as well: They're still excellent guitars with options that are difficult to find elsewhere.

Agreed, the control layout if perfect, and overall look and options are really killer! I'll be waiting to summer to get myself the purpleburst, unless Solar releases the Lime Green version in 6 string variant again...

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Ordered a V1.6D LTD. Was on the fence about the Vs for a long time but didn't want black or red. White would have done it, but the natural ones do too, since I enjoy brown/natural finishes. Stated ship date is April 20. (I actually ordered late march)
My first guitar in 3 years believe it or not. Time flies.

doc.parka

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys.
Hope everyone's well and keeping safe.

So I've just received my new A1.6ATG Baritone guitar ordered directly from the Solar Guitars website (because they're so hard to find here in Australia). UPS was quick and efficient. The guitar had travelled from Spain through Germany, USA and finally Australia. Took less than a week.

Having heard and seen mostly positive reviews regarding Solar guitars, my expectations were high to say the least. Unfortunately, there were issues with the fret edges from 18 to 21 on the treble side.

It's an ebony fretboard. I've never had one before as my other guitars are all rosewood (briefly had a maple one too). Is it likely due to QC issues or the sudden change in temp and humidity going through all those countries in a short span of time?

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 115
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 112

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Hey guys.
Hope everyone's well and keeping safe.

So I've just received my new A1.6ATG Baritone guitar ordered directly from the Solar Guitars website (because they're so hard to find here in Australia). UPS was quick and efficient. The guitar had travelled from Spain through Germany, USA and finally Australia. Took less than a week.

Having heard and seen mostly positive reviews regarding Solar guitars, my expectations were high to say the least. Unfortunately, there were issues with the fret edges from 18 to 21 on the treble side.

It's an ebony fretboard. I've never had one before as my other guitars are all rosewood (briefly had a maple one too). Is it likely due to QC issues or the sudden change in temp and humidity going through all those countries in a short span of time?

Have the frets popped up from the slots?

https://www.solar-guitars.com/warranty-form/

Fill the form, they will most likely refund you the cost of the fix at a local luthier.

')