Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I keep wondering if Ola will offer a Ormsby type "pick your own spec" run of builds, with people voting for a spec (no inlay, OFR, Trans black top etc), or even people being able to choose from a few specs (i.e. 6 or 7 string, lefty as an option, Evertune or OFR) etc.
Not for it to end up like Kiesel with their infinite options list, but just to see if there'd be interest. I for one wanted a combination of Solar guitars that didn't exist, until they released the neon yellow Evertune one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rocktoe

Reaction score
I keep wondering if Ola will offer a Ormsby type "pick your own spec" run of builds, with people voting for a spec (no inlay, OFR, Trans black top etc), or even people being able to choose from a few specs (i.e. 6 or 7 string, lefty as an option, Evertune or OFR) etc.
Not for it to end up like Kiesel with their infinite options list, but just to see if there'd be interest. I for one wanted a combination of Solar guitars that didn't exist, until they released the neon yellow Evertune one.

There would have to be quite a lot of people ordering one, though OR the new specs would have to be very simple such as a different color or just one pot instead of two. It wouldn't be viable if there were just a half dozen guys ready to order them.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score

I would have loved to get the A1.6LN but for now there’s no way I will order direct from them, the quality is just too hit or miss and finish wise it seems like almost anything that leaves the factory is considered flawless. So you get a shoddily crafted and finished guitar and either keep it and be pissed about paying full price for it or send it back and lose 70€, no thanks.

The A2.6 I had was absolutely unacceptable. They simply can not let something like that slip through quality checks. Same goes with the wiring screw ups people (including me) have had.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking if he said you can have
6 string or 7 string
White or pink,
Evertune or Floyd.
Lefty or "normal" :D

I suppose using my lacking maths skills, that's actually giving 16 different guitars (if I'm not completely wrong). That would mean 16 separate work orders, 16 production runs, so presumably there'd need to be a minimum of 20 of each?

Not going to happen is it. Shame really. The whole semi-custom thing makes great sense to me, when choosing from a list of pre-existing options such as colour or hardware.

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Okay, I've been wondering now that the arrival of my S1.6PB Ltd draws closer, that I want to make it my personal ultimate studio/recording guitar. I've been playing close to 15 years, without ever releasing any guitar related music, because working the guitar with vsti synths requires (in my mind atleast) very stabile tuning to fit in with all the synth orchestration I like to work into my music, and Evertune hopefully will help with that compared to Floyds I've played until this point. So I've wondered about the pickups, because I really like the sound of Fishman Fluences, especially the Devin Townsend signature set with different voicings it comes with.

Now the question I have in mind is: Would it be possible to wire the Fluences so that when I'm in positions 2-4 on the pickup selector, they would be the second voicing of the pickup(the low gain, singlecoil style voicing), and when I'm in bridge or neck positions the pickups would be in the first voicing which is the metal voicing? This way I wouldn't have to add any switches to the guitar, and I could switch fluently between different voicings while I play - I've been watching way too much Yngwie in my lifetime, so I switch between pickups alot when soloing, and I really like the sound of metal humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck, and with this kind of setup that would be possible and would add lots of tonal options to choose from while playing.

For reference, my main guitar at the moment has EMG 85 in the bridge and two EMG SA-singlecoils, and I really love the sounds from them, and would love to achieve those tonal worlds with the fluences as they are active pickups aswell... Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Last edited:

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Bit of a sidetrack from this Solar discussion but I suppose its relevant!
Rather than wiring it like that, it would be much easier to wire the voicing to a push/pull volume knob. Also, if you're using this for recording, simply cut your take down into a section for one voice, and switch to a different track for the section in another pickup voicing.

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bit of a sidetrack from this Solar discussion but I suppose its relevant!
Rather than wiring it like that, it would be much easier to wire the voicing to a push/pull volume knob. Also, if you're using this for recording, simply cut your take down into a section for one voice, and switch to a different track for the section in another pickup voicing.

Yeah, sorry for sidetracking... But I guess you're right! Push-pull would be most simple solution and I might go with that, not that I would do the wiring by myself... Although I need to investigate this further, as I recall reading here or somewhere else that there have been some issues with Fluences being too big for the pickup holes in Solars, although it's entirely possible that I remember things wrong.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
I’d use a push/push pot. Easier to use, you can toggle it with one finger and it looks better.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
I have a chance to order a solar guitar. However, I was wondering if there will be any import or duty fees. I was going to order to the E2.7. The total comes to $818 with shipping. I was trying to calculate any fees using online calculators. My question is what country do theu ship from?

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
I have a chance to order a solar guitar. However, I was wondering if there will be any import or duty fees. I was going to order to the E2.7. The total comes to $818 with shipping. I was trying to calculate any fees using online calculators. My question is what country do theu ship from?

Spain.

Metropolis

Reaction score

And under a grand for a six string? First I was like 1200-1300 until I saw the price on their website.

')