Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MadYarpen

Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
May I ask what's the fuzz about having bolt on now? I thought neck-thru was 'better' or at least more expensive? I really have no idea, honest question, why do people prefer one or the other?
My guess is that people wanted it because it makes the guitar look more Suhr-like along with other guitars that also use roasted maple necks. Thus aligning more closely with customer expectations.

It's disappointing to me tbh. It would've been much sexier if the guitar was neck through. Not to mention better fret access.

I don't subscribe to the nonsense that different neck joints affect tone. It's more of a placebo effect than anything.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Neck joint construction has been studied a bunch of times, and you even know what is going on from an energy transfer perspective to affect the tone. This isn't opinion, it's a fact. Where opinion definitely comes in is on the "how relevant is it", and I genuinely think anything from "I don't care at all" to "I can't live without [insert preferred construction method here]" is valid. Personally, I think a lot of people tend to put excessive emphasis on what amounts to be relatively trivial aspects of the whole picture of a guitar, but I can respect that.

Metropolis

Reaction score
What even affects to tone anymore... for me bolt-on guitars have always different kind of attack and emphasis on mid/upper frequencies. Neck-through or set-neck guitars have been bit murkier and have this "solid" quality how they sustain, attack is also bit softer at the beginning.

Fret access is not a problem with bolt-on neck joints which are carved to a comfortable sleek shape. With a joint like that you don't even know it's there. Glued construction is not neccesarily making it more effortless at all, and often neck just gets significantly thicker at higher frets.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Well... The silver one sold out already and it's not even June yet. Now I'm really eyeing the lemon drop one with the evertune.

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Neck joint construction has been studied a bunch of times, and you even know what is going on from an energy transfer perspective to affect the tone. This isn't opinion, it's a fact. Where opinion definitely comes in is on the "how relevant is it", and I genuinely think anything from "I don't care at all" to "I can't live without [insert preferred construction method here]" is valid. Personally, I think a lot of people tend to put excessive emphasis on what amounts to be relatively trivial aspects of the whole picture of a guitar, but I can respect that.
Since we're having this discussion in the context of an amplified solidbody electric guitar, the effect of placebo far outweighs any difference the neck construction is going to be making. I agree with you; the difference is utterly trivial and not worth caring about.

It might be a different story for acoustic guitars. But solid body electric guitars are not constructed like acoustics and do not produce sound like acoustics do, and ergo shouldn't be treated as such.

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
My guess is that people wanted it because it makes the guitar look more Suhr-like along with other guitars that also use roasted maple necks. Thus aligning more closely with customer expectations.

It's disappointing to me tbh. It would've been much sexier if the guitar was neck through. Not to mention better fret access.

I don't subscribe to the nonsense that different neck joints affect tone. It's more of a placebo effect than anything.

But are people preferring these ONLY or MAINLY because they're bolt ons? I don't think so. I guess the roasted maple plays a bigger role on getting consumers attention.

I for once don't really care a lot about the neck joint as long as it is done right, and to me that bolt on doesn't look half bad. And prefer the roasted maple because I literally prefer anything over dark colored boards.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
You can set up a bolt on exactly like you want because of the option to shim. There's always a compromise with non bolt guitars unless you get lucky or they cater to your setup preferences. This doens't make sense or matter to most people but if you like our setups wierd like me then you gotta have a bolt on to acheive that.
- Bolt on-definitely are different how the energy travels through it, not necessarily better but ceratinly different. It's all preference.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
I made blond test with my friend. We both guessed which ones were neck through just by strumming and riffing to the 7th fret...

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But are people preferring these ONLY or MAINLY because they're bolt ons? I don't think so. I guess the roasted maple plays a bigger role on getting consumers attention.

I for once don't really care a lot about the neck joint as long as it is done right, and to me that bolt on doesn't look half bad. And prefer the roasted maple because I literally prefer anything over dark colored boards.
I never made any such claim that was the only reason. Or even the main reason.

You're arguing against a claim I never made.
I made blond test with my friend. We both guessed which ones were neck through just by strumming and riffing to the 7th fret...
A totally scientific test indeed. The fact it was 'blond' made it even more so.

Last edited:

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Did I even say that you made such claim? Whatever dude, chill. I'm not even trying to argue, the one arguing against non existent claims is you.
Oh the irony. You're now making claims of denial against non-existent claims I didn't even make. If you keep digging this hole any deeper you'll find yourself emerging the other side, in the Indonesian factory manufacturing these guitars. :lol:

Maybe you should just stop.

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
Oh the irony. You're now making claims of denial against non-existent claims I didn't even make. If you keep digging this hole any deeper you'll find yourself emerging the other side, in the Indonesian factory manufacturing these guitars. :lol:

Maybe you should just stop.

You're right, you didn't make any claims, my bad. But you definitely came out like I was trying to put words in your mouth, which I clearly didn't. If that wasn't the case, you were just pointing out you didn't make a claim that I didn't say you did, huh? So I don't understand why you quoted me in the first place.

For what it's worth, I giggled at the Indonesian factory thing.

')