Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

couchguitarplayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's one thing that bugs me with this new line (AB). When there was only the A model. The price difference was about 200$ for a Evertune model and a Floyd model. Which makes sense to me because the evertune itself is a lot pricier than a floyd and there's more wood losses in the process.

Now enter this new line of bolt-on. Which is cheaper. That's normal because of the construction. Altough there's 50$ difference between the evertune model an the floyd. My question is : Is the neck through really worth 150$ more ? I wish that floyd model was a bit cheaper.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's one thing that bugs me with this new line (AB). Is the neck through really worth 150$ more ? I wish that floyd model was a bit cheaper.

oh yeah absolutely. Neck through's are a lot more expensive than bolt ons. Making a neck through is more involved and is a lot longer process vs just bolting on a neck that's ready to go.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
oh yeah absolutely. Neck through's are a lot more expensive than bolt ons. Making a neck through is more involved and is a lot longer process vs just bolting on a neck that's ready to go.

In an industrial setting, bolt-ons are more efficient to build.

You can separate the process, have a dedicated neck line and body lines, and QA/QC rejects are easier to reclaim/rework. You can also then use those separate components on different SKUs.

Modularity in manufacturing is a huge cost saving.

Whether that savings is applied consistently is a different matter.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
Holy shit this looks fucking amazing.

https://www.solar-guitars.com/product/ab1-6frnb-natural-brown-matte/

AB1.6FRNB-FRONT-HORIZONTAL.png

AB1.6FRNB-DETAIL.png

AB1.6FRNB-BACK.png

The configuration reminds me of Greg Howe's Laguna signature.

500881000159000-00-1200x1200.jpg

And later on, Carvin's Greg Howe signature guitar.

CARVIN_GH24_01.jpg

couchguitarplayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I understand that! Then why there's 200$ difference between a A1.6 with evertune and a A1.6 with floyd? They're both neck through construction. It should mean the evertune is a 200$ upgrade. Then this AB model is only 50$ between the evertune and the bolt on... I don't understand.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i just did a quick glance since I'm working, but I see a $100 difference in the A1.6 C's.

https://www.solar-guitars.com/product/a1-6c-carbon-black-matte/
https://www.solar-guitars.com/product/a1-6frc-carbon-black-matte-2/

and yeah I see the $50 difference in the bolt on's. Hmmmm.... Interesting!

..damnit... I'm trying not to buy a new guitar right now, but looking at the new stock makes me want to pull the trigger on a solar. I want a type E though just because I've always wanted an explorer shaped guitar.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I understand that! Then why there's 200$ difference between a A1.6 with evertune and a A1.6 with floyd? They're both neck through construction. It should mean the evertune is a 200$ upgrade. Then this AB model is only 50$ between the evertune and the bolt on... I don't understand.

You're not really paying directly for specs/materials, so thinking in those terms on production guitars just doesn't track.

Most pricing is based on line-price with similar items on the market.

Materials are dirt cheap, and wholesale/OEM hardware is a fraction of retail price.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score

Because it's based on the target price which they think customers will pay for that configuration. Some products will have better margins than others. It isn't fixed and directly related to the cost.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Regarding the Gloss finishing a couple of posts have mentioned, Ola actually answers that point in his latest Sunday with Ola video

Video link is time stamped but in case its 20m 35secs in

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Really wishful thinking and I understand it takes time and $$$ Ola probably doesn't have yet to R&D and produce but man a analogue to an RGA, Duvell, Jackson Stealth/SLS or Sabre in the Solar line would be very welcome to me. I respect what he's doing and appreciate him and they are his design babies at the end of the day but nothing really grabs like like "Fuck, gotta have it"

Also does anyone know his stance on like composites and wood alternatives like Richlite?

Rocktoe

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster.

I'm considering a Solar right now and I'm pretty much settled on an A2.6, glad there's a few leftys for me.
But I'm still not sure if I shouldn't go for the A1.6. Aside from wood, the main difference would be the Evertune and locking tuners/SS frets.
I very much love locking tuners. With what I read about the Evertune and my constant bending I guess it won't make that much sense for me, although I could set the bass strings with the Evertune and the high strings in zone 3 to behave like a hardtail. No opinion on the frets tbh.

Any opinions? The 2.6 should tick all my boxes, but there's the little voice in my head that goes "yeah, but...."

You can set the EverTune to work just like a normal hardtail bridge while also keeping the tuning.

Parcival

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can set the EverTune to work just like a normal hardtail bridge while also keeping the tuning.

Yeah, I've read about that, but also some reports of it requiring frequent fiddling to keep it that way. I once tried a Floyd and spent more time adjusting it than playing the guitar, so I'd rather keep it simple.

Rocktoe

Reaction score
Yeah, I've read about that, but also some reports of it requiring frequent fiddling to keep it that way. I once tried a Floyd and spent more time adjusting it than playing the guitar, so I'd rather keep it simple.

Once you've set the tuning it just requires you to tighten the strings from the headstock's tuners about once a month or so.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
The roasted maple 7 string looks sweet. I still want my E2.7 to hurry up and get here though. How faithful are the shipping dates on the website? The wait is agonizing

Parcival

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on an A2.6 lefty, can't wait.
I usually don't like black as a finish (so many lefties only come in black) but I love the looks on the Solar.

I decided against the A1.6, because ultimately I'd have bought it for the Evertune. Not becauseI need it but out of curiosity and I couldn't justify the price difference for that.

Reaction score
Just got this ex-demo Solar A1.7C Evertune from GuitarGuitar today! Got a fair bit of damage on it that I wasn't expecting, but it seems like a solid guitar!

The Evertune is a bit of a learning curve.. but I've got it set to Drop A with the bends so far, going to need new strings for sure, especially for Drop G#.

101552408-10157365685305208-95638880048381952-o.jpg

Will get better pictures when it's sunny again

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
If you stop associating brown with poo you might have less problems in life

Haha very true. It's more so I just don't like the look of the roasted maple with a brown swamp ash body. Just doesn't look great to me. To me, roasted maple necks look best with the contrast of a colorful body. But two shades of brown on a guitar just looks terrible to me. Just my :2c:

Hey I look at some green guitars a Gerber Baby Poop, and I still love them. And brown is beautiful, even like a melted snickers... if Ola released a FDE (flat dark earth) or desert dirt color model that matched a Geissele Super Duty M4 in DDC, as Al Pacino would say “I, will lose, my mind”.

')