Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MadYarpen

Reaction score
Can someone owning Type A guitar measure the distance between the strings and... rear edge of the body? I hope you know what I mean.

I am wondering how much further I would have to reach with left hand to the 1st fret if I played this in classical position - in comparison to type V. The bridge is closer to the rear in the V, and it has shorter scale.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Just did it for ya, approx. 130mm front rear most point of the guitar body (where the strap pin is) to the saddle height adjust screws on the low E string of the bridge. That was using the A2.6 with the Hipshot style bridge. Hope that helps you!

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Just waiting for this pink one to be a hardtail 7. Heck there may have been a run of them originally and I just missed it then. I do see the laser lemon, I just want this perfect shade of pink.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. That's quite a difference, it's ~85 mm in my type V.

Don't take my word 100%, I could be wrong - its happened before. Once :D

But there does appear to be a difference.

It may also be worth measuring the distance from the bridge to your thigh when the guitar is in playing position, as unless you have triangular legs, your leg won't be exactly in the centre of the V. Might only be 20mm difference, but it means the 130mm of the Type A is not as far away.

Also, as a VERY rough photo-botch, see below:
(I couldn't get the scale on both pictures to fully align)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    471.5 KB · Views: 95

MadYarpen

Reaction score
Don't take my word 100%, I could be wrong - its happened before. Once :D

But there does appear to be a difference.

It may also be worth measuring the distance from the bridge to your thigh when the guitar is in playing position, as unless you have triangular legs, your leg won't be exactly in the centre of the V. Might only be 20mm difference, but it means the 130mm of the Type A is not as far away.

Also, as a VERY rough photo-botch, see below:
(I couldn't get the scale on both pictures to fully align)
Thanks.

During corona times I am getting... Softer. Or fluffier. Sourdough baking and stuff. So it may actually be touching my thigh lol.

It's couple cm at the bridge plus longer scale in 7 string, so it may not be so comfy for me.

Last edited:

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes that could be a lot to get used to, a big change! It could be worth trying out a similar long scale superstrat guitar at a guitarstore when things open up again. Won't be exactly the same, but you'll be able to find out if you get on with it or not.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Finally got my e2.7 a few days ago. Plays great and aside a few finish burls and an unfinished/sanded ~1in section on the fretboard, its great. The neck is super comfortable. I have a new problem with this guitar though. The 7th string has literally no tuning stability (the others are stable enough for my purposes). After a couple minutes of playing it goes out of tune.

What are some good in line, reverse headstock 7 string tuners (possibly locking) that have good tuning stability? Would any 7 string in line tuners work?

A bit disappointing that I already have to upgrade some parts on the guitar. I may also need to change the pups, as they are not the best.

Last edited:

Metropolis

Reaction score
Finally got my e2.7 a few days ago. Plays great and aside a few finish burls and an unfinished/sanded ~1in section on the fretboard, its great. The neck is super comfortable. I have a new problem with this guitar though. The 7th string has literally no tuning stability (the others are stable enough for my purposes). After a couple minutes of playing it goes out of tune.

What are some good in line, reverse headstock 7 string tuners (possibly locking) that have good tuning stability? Would any 7 string in line tuners work?

A bit disappointing that I already have to upgrade some parts on the guitar. I may also need to change the pups, as they are not the best.

Tuners are rarely the issue... you could change strings and stretch them throughly, then give it a setup if you already didn't. Tune-o-matic saddle pieces can be problematic sometimes, for example slot in the saddle is not big enough and causes tuning issues. Or it's the nut where string isn't sitting properly in bottom of the slot, or it has otherwise too much friction.

MadYarpen

Reaction score
My solar was constantly getting out of tune until I had some lubricant applied to the nut.

I was also thinking about replacing the tuners, turned out I don't need to at all. Guitar stays in tune.

So a proper setup saved me some money.

As regards the pickups that's a different story. I replaced bridge pickup to have more punch. But stock aren't too bad imo.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Tuners are rarely the issue... you could change strings and stretch them throughly, then give it a setup if you already didn't. Tune-o-matic saddle pieces can be problematic sometimes, for example slot in the saddle is not big enough and causes tuning issues. Or it's the nut where string isn't sitting properly in bottom of the slot, or it has otherwise too much friction.

I changed the strings already as the ones that came on it were not to my liking. what issues should I look for in the nut? Just not being entirely smooth?

My solar was constantly getting out of tune until I had some lubricant applied to the nut.

I was also thinking about replacing the tuners, turned out I don't need to at all. Guitar stays in tune.

So a proper setup saved me some money.

As regards the pickups that's a different story. I replaced bridge pickup to have more punch. But stock aren't too bad imo.

What kind of lubricant?

BusinessMan

Reaction score
I think someone may have put the bridge on the wrong way. The intonation screws are on the pickup side instead of the outside towards the tailpiece?

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I changed the strings already as the ones that came on it were not to my liking. what issues should I look for in the nut? Just not being entirely smooth?
The problem might stem from using a bigger gauge of string than what the guitar was originally using at the factory, leading to the strings getting pinched in the nut slots. This isn't a manufacturing defect. Nut slots may need to be widened slightly to accommodate heavier gauges of strings.
I think someone may have put the bridge on the wrong way. The intonation screws are on the pickup side instead of the outside towards the tailpiece?
It makes zero functional difference whatsoever which way around the bridge is installed. All that matters is that the saddles are positioned to where the guitar intonates correctly. There is no de-facto 'right' or 'wrong' way.

MadYarpen

Reaction score
What kind of lubricant?

Not sure what product the technician used but there are dedicated products such as this... https://m.thomann.de/pl/big_bends_nut_sauce_05_cc.htm

I don't think that's mistake, I have mine installed the same way. It doesn't get in the way when you are setting intonation so don't worry.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Not sure what product the technician used but there are dedicated products such as this... https://m.thomann.de/pl/big_bends_nut_sauce_05_cc.htm

I don't think that's mistake, I have mine installed the same way. It doesn't get in the way when you are setting intonation so don't worry.

I’m going to have to try that lube or something. For some reason I can’t get the 7th string on this guitar to hold tuning after a couple minutes of playing for the life of me. New strings are stretched, neck is nice and straight, it is indeed intonated (the harmonic and fretted at the 12th are perfectly in tune) so I have no idea wtf is wrong.

I play music

Reaction score
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2681803872088407&id=1727682944167176&d=null&vh=e Killertone's sig model is officially out. He's a lovely bloke and knows his shit - pretty stoked for him!
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2681803872088407&id=1727682944167176&d=null&vh=e Killertone's sig model is officially out. He's a lovely bloke and knows his shit - pretty stoked for him!
Is that the first Solar without Solar inlay?

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
')