Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Who is this guy? All I can find is that he played killer riffs at the Randal and Fortin booth.

Seems like a strange endorsement for a small company, but I trust that Ola knows what he is doing.

Outside of being a real good player with really good tone, he's got a good deal of industry experience and connections given his "day job".

He used to post here fairly often. Good dude.

A-Branger

Reaction score
I think someone may have put the bridge on the wrong way. The intonation screws are on the pickup side instead of the outside towards the tailpiece?
thats how TOM bridges are. You can see some with the screws on the opposite side, but 90% of the gutars usually they are on the pickup side. And if you check Solar site all their TOM guitars are like that

makes it "easier" to intonate specially if you have a string trough guitar or a close tail piece with 0 access to the screw unless you take the whole string off. This way you can still access it by loosing and pushing the string a bit. One of the reasons why I dont like TOMs

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Who is this guy? All I can find is that he played killer riffs at the Randal and Fortin booth.

Seems like a strange endorsement for a small company, but I trust that Ola knows what he is doing.

I don’t know who he is, but I like that his custom Solar has fret dots. With the modular necks (bolt-ons), I hope fret dots become a more common option.

MadYarpen

Reaction score
Covid hit them really hard in Indonesia it seems. Guitars' shipment postponed another month, now it says September 30th...

That sucks. I am on the fence regarding new solar vs some used KM-7 or whatever, and this doesn't the help Solar option :(

E: not all it seems. Hope restored!

Atefred

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Question for you lot, on the offchance someone knows:
I have an A1.6 with an evertune, which I have tuned to F#F#BEG#C# (the "architects" tuning). The evertune is kind of handy here to keep the bottom string in tune despite the short 25.5 scale. I have a 70 gauge string for the low F#.
I just had the bridge pickup replaced, and the tech who did the work mentioned that the neck will likely get warped if I use that type of string gauge on the low string for any extended period of time. Claimed the wood wasn't high enough quality / strong enough to withstand the pressure.

Does that sound legit? I have similarly thick strings on my 7 string ibanez prestige, no signs of issues. Of course the neck there is 5 piece maple and walnut I believe, vs the 3 piece solar maple neck (and of course possibly different quality wood in general). Also, does the gauge actually matter? tuned down that low, the tension should be ~13.3 pounds, which isn't high at all.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Unless there is something structurally wrong with that specific guitar, that guy is full of shit.

I once had a tech adamantly tell me that floyd roses were not supposed to have anything heavier than 9-42’s and definitely not drop tuned. Not surprisingly he worked for Guitar Center.

Metropolis

Reaction score
I have an A1.6 with an evertune, which I have tuned to F#F#BEG#C# (the "architects" tuning). The evertune is kind of handy here to keep the bottom string in tune despite the short 25.5 scale. I have a 70 gauge string for the low F#.
I just had the bridge pickup replaced, and the tech who did the work mentioned that the neck will likely get warped if I use that type of string gauge on the low string for any extended period of time. Claimed the wood wasn't high enough quality / strong enough to withstand the pressure.

Does that sound legit? I have similarly thick strings on my 7 string ibanez prestige, no signs of issues. Of course the neck there is 5 piece maple and walnut I believe, vs the 3 piece solar maple neck (and of course possibly different quality wood in general). Also, does the gauge actually matter? tuned down that low, the tension should be ~13.3 pounds, which isn't high at all.

It won't do anything to the neck, tension is equivalent to 0.042 string at standard E. And Solar necks are very solid anyway, where these myths even come from?

Atefred

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thought so, made no sense given the tuning. Thanks for confirming :)

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The fuck is he talking about?

Seems like any uneducated dipshit can call themselves a 'tech' these days.

I play music

Reaction score

Change your "tech"

Reaction score

Load of bull mate. I used to run with a .74 on my Les Paul Custom for years in Drop B, neck is still perfectly fine to this day.
Same with my Esp!

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
https://www.solar-guitars.com/product/e1-6-priestess/

E1.6-Priestess-FRONT-HORIZONTAL.png

E1.6-Priestess-DETAIL.png

E1.6-Priestess-BACK.png

Cool and subtle design feature is the stepped body like a Firebird's.

Also 25.5" scale too.

')