Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Trashgreen

Reaction score
GC1.6FAB-FRONT-HORIZONTAL.png

GC1.6FAB-DETAIL.png

Rocktoe

Reaction score
"Need" is word I try to avoid when thinking about buying gear. Try substitute it with "want" instead and see how it goes :)

Well obviously I want everything ever made and then some. :D

However, I already have an S1.6 and an A1.6 with EverTune, so I'm not sure if the G-body shape is enough to offer me anything different.

Maximal

Reaction score
Is Ola really too lazy to design a new headstock? I like it on his superstrats, it's okay-ish on the pointy guitars but it looks like crap on an LP. What's next, a 335 copy with reverse headstock?

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I, on the other hand love it on the LP! Its also his "thing", its his brand identity, along with the inlay. Both divide people, both are loved by Ola.

MadYarpen

Reaction score
This gold hardware looks really classy. But I agree the headstock doesn't really suit this shape. I like it in all other models, it's just the single cut type. But maybe it would grow on me, who knows.

Meanwhile I keep wondering why aren't they making any 26.5 inch V 7.

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is Ola really too lazy to design a new headstock? I like it on his superstrats, it's okay-ish on the pointy guitars but it looks like crap on an LP. What's next, a 335 copy with reverse headstock?
To accuse him of laziness is pure ignorance.

He had experimented with multiple headstock designs before settling on leaving it unchanged, having come to the conclusion that they didn't suit the brand's visual identity. The different designs didn't look 'Solar' enough.

With that said, the design is still hideous. But I fully understand Ola's position. He's right, it wouldn't look like a Solar if he did something different. Which is precisely why he should've never made the singlecut shape in the first place. It was doomed to be an aesthetic failure from day 1.

I will gladly die on this hill.

Last edited:

mbardu

Reaction score
That headstock doesn't work on the singlecut at all imo.

Different strokes for different people I guess.
The shape is unique enough to go well with the headstock IMO.
I really wouldn't mind that singlecut if it had a string through (not evertune) bridge.

mbardu

Reaction score
I think this exact model is also available with a TOM bridge for 200€ less than the Evertune one.

I know i know.
I'm done with stop tails though.

Edit: Although you never know. The more I look at it, the more I like it. Has a bit of Ravelle in it, in a good way.

Last edited:

Runander

Reaction score
I don't think brands should do multible headstocks generally (I'll make an exception for strats and teles) because a unique headstock is like a trade mark or calling card or whatever you want to call it. It signifies that this is a Solar, Ibanez, Fender etc... Personally I think it's great that Ola sticks with that headstock through all the different models, I think it really makes it a Solar Guitar. :)

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
One of the reasons I bought a Jackson back in the days was the headstock :D Ola has been mostly playing superstrats so why make such a body shape where the headstock doesnt suit well. Not saying that they would be his signature models or anything, actually he just talked about the signature topic on the latest sunday series.

blacai

Reaction score
Ola makes the models the people are asking for... what's totally legit and common sense.
He said he wouldn't make guitars that:
-weren't black or had a burl top.
-were LP models.
-8's strings
-natural top
-single coils

Obviously if you pretend to survive in the guitar market, you need to offer what people want. It's not bad.
It is just a matter of time that he launches basses and a headless(although I think the headless trend is almost gone...)

Latest posts

')