Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would also have liked the specs you mentioned, but I ordered one anyways (7-string).

My rationale: for that price, there’s a lot I can modify over time. By “I”, I mean my trusted local luthier.

Also, it’s one of the few Solar 7s with a 25.5 scale length, which is great for shredders who like stretchy licks.

Floyd Rose Special:

I’m no Arnold Brainschweizer, so I don’t think I’ll bend or break some parts of the special FR because they’re made of zinc instead of steel. Also this is a trem, not a bench press bar, so I doubt it’ll go through metal warping tensions. Worst case: replace in a few years.

Nickel frets:

Nickel frets are marginally cheaper than stainless steel, but way harder to work with and may generate more labor costs (my guess as to why they were used to keep price down). It’s annoying but I can live with a re-fret in a few years. I’ll probably put in Jeskar SS 57110.
It isn't hard to add luminlays, stainless steel frets and an OFR. I just wish it was on the guitar stock.

May as well get the SS over and done with right now than a few years later. There's little point in waiting.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
It isn't hard to add luminlays, stainless steel frets and an OFR. I just wish it was on the guitar stock.

May as well get the SS over and done with right now than a few years later. There's little point in waiting.

I’d like to test the stock jumbo frets before swapping them for Jeskar 57110. If they’re ok, why not wait until they’re worn down? It’s a pretty symmetrical situation (install SS frets now or later).

I guess they're selling Solar cases on their website

Cases have been sold out for a while, hence my question.

Last edited:

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’d like to test the stock jumbo frets before swapping them for Jeskar 57110. If they’re ok, why not wait until they’re worn down? It’s a pretty symmetrical situation (install SS frets now or later).
I mean if you're intending to get your local tech to do all those upgrades anyway, you may as well do them all in one go.

FYI, the Solars use Dunlop 6000-sized frets. 58118 is the equivalent Jescar size.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Oh ok, I didn’t get your point earlier.

I agree, I’ll do the OFR and frets all at once, probably not day 1.

Thanks for the heads up about the 58118, I’ve never tried them.

Mraz

Reaction score
I have read some posts that the manufacturing has some issues.. Unfinished or rough edges.. Is this still the case?

I am currently between the:
A1.7BD Artist LTD and S1.7PB..

I like the Ash body, since this is basically the same options as I wanted to get as a custom with Kiesel Guitars (their CS sucks, so I decided against it), sadly it is also limited and I am not sure if I wil lbe able to order it in time.

Planning on putting in the SD Black Winters, anyone know if it is a clean swap or do I have to change around things?

Thoughts?(and prayers)

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have read some posts that the manufacturing has some issues.. Unfinished or rough edges.. Is this still the case?
Both my Solars are absolutely perfectly made fwiw.

I think based on my own personal experience, I have no problem whatsoever in Giving Ola my money again in the future.

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
Anyone installed fishmans in theirs?
Not mine but the A1.6 ATG (At The Gates) model comes stock with Fluences.

I don't know if anyone here noticed but Daniel Vadim Von recently jumped ship to Ibanez.
73358780_771110376661481_2094330094982018146_n.jpg

It's very strange since he just had two signature Solar models released earlier this year.
a1-and-v1-620x420.png

Metropolis

Reaction score
The one I'm interested in is Solar S2.6C
But it says "Shipping around November 20, 2019" Is it too late to order?

Oops, sorry. Sometimes dates aren't too accurate, and it would be better to ask by e-mail for example. Couple of times I ordered from Thomann products were awailable much more earlier than it was informed, and other of them was a Solar A2.6.

phantom81

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oops, sorry. Sometimes dates aren't too accurate, and it would be better to ask by e-mail for example. Couple of times I ordered from Thomann products were awailable much more earlier than it was informed, and other of them was a Solar A2.6.
So should I just order it from Solar official website? I just got a message that they have some in stock right now and would be able to ship it this week. But wouldn't it be, idk, safer, to order it from retail store?

Last edited:

Metropolis

Reaction score
So should I just order it from Solar official website? I just got a message that they have some in stock right now and would be able to ship it this week. But wouldn't it be, idk, safer, to order it from retail store?

I don't see any risks in it, since you're in EU. Thomann has warranty of 3 years, and Solar gives 2 years when bought directly. Almost same warranty and purchasing terms either way.
https://www.solar-guitars.com/warranty-terms/
https://www.solar-guitars.com/right-of-withdrawal/

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Ordered my A2.7FR LN last week.

It arrived at my doorstep (Canada), yesterday. Wow !! I expected months of waiting (and that would have been fine).

Played with it yesterday evening and it played/sounded great.

It passed my visual inspection test: pristine condition, neck straight, FR works and is set up properly.

Strings were oxidized, but who cares.

I sent it to my luthier for a more in depth checkup. I'll do a NGD video (here, YT, IG) when I have a bit more time.

If all orders are fulfilled like that, then I must say you're managing one kickass company Ola ! Congrats !

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Finally had a minute to do a video of my new A2.7 FR LN.

Tone: Plini Artchetype.

In the wake of all the recent fakery stuff, full disclosure: live take DAW audio, no EQ, no comping, no edits, etc..

I put the raw audio from my desk mic on my youtube channel for those who want to hear pick sounds :).

Link to the NGD thread for further discussion: https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/ngd-solar-a2-7-fr-ln.339247/

')