Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Merrekof

Reaction score
If you love thin C-shaped necks (and let's face it, most metal players find them perfectly workable), then it's kind of a blessing.

It means that you can get a guitar in any finish or body style or cosmetics you want without having the neck being fucked with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Having a wider diversity of stock pickups would be nice but many people on SSO have very specific preferences for the kind of pickups they want anyway. So even if they did offer a wider diversity of pickups to choose from, they're still probably going to get swapped. SSO being SSO.
^ Exactly my thoughts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
My only issue with Solar is that no matter the guitar, the playability of the neck is about the same and they pretty much all use the same pickups. If you buy more than one it's because you want 7-strings instead of 6, or a different body shape/color.
I actually kinda like that if it's accurate. If I end up liking the neck feel then I'd have no worries about getting another because I would want that nice familar comfortable feel. Ibanez gets pretty close but I find they are all a bit different still. You gotta try several to get two that are close to each other.

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So no star guitar for 2020 ;) ?
I don't think it would be a wise choice.

Making something resembling a Charvel Star but with sharp points so it matches the aesthetic of the rest of the brand's lineup would be very difficult to make look good.

It would also run the risk of trolls falsely accusing Ola of trying to copy the Dean Razorback or Washburn Dime shapes. The Dime shapes are apparently hallowed ground and apparently anyone who dares try to make even a vague facsimile of one will apparently be forever crucified on the internet. :rolleyes:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Goatwhore_6.jpg

Se7enHeaven

Reaction score
If you love thin C-shaped necks (and let's face it, most metal players find them perfectly workable), then it's kind of a blessing.

It means that you can get a guitar in any finish or body style or cosmetics you want without having the neck being fucked with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Having a wider diversity of stock pickups would be nice but many people on SSO have very specific preferences for the kind of pickups they want anyway. So even if they did offer a wider diversity of pickups to choose from, they're still probably going to get swapped. SSO being SSO.

Someone else made reference to my comment and liking it being 'stock' (particularly the neck). That's fine, but often when I buy another guitar it's not to duplicate or replicate what I already have. For example, having a Les Paul and then buying a Strat... the purchase is for something different with different sonic capabilities. I like having different 'Metal' guitars that have difference voicings and personalities. Since I currently have one of the best Solar's in the collection, no sense getting another. I don't need to spend $1000 (or whatever) for a different color.

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Someone else made reference to my comment and liking it being 'stock' (particularly the neck). That's fine, but often when I buy another guitar it's not to duplicate or replicate what I already have. For example, having a Les Paul and then buying a Strat... the purchase is for something different with different sonic capabilities. I like having different 'Metal' guitars that have difference voicings and personalities. Since I currently have one of the best Solar's in the collection, no sense getting another. I don't need to spend $1000 (or whatever) for a different color.
If you don't want the guitar to sound the same then swap the pickups. It's not hard.

You also need to acknowledge that these guitars are made to the specs of a guitar that Ola would actually play live. If he likes that particular neck feel and likes those particular pickups, who is to judge him? It's a perfectly valid preference and at the end of the day it's his brand and he can do whatever the hell he wants with it.

What I've learned the most about this discussion is how it's impossible to please everyone.

Se7enHeaven

Reaction score
If you don't want the guitar to sound the same then swap the pickups. It's not hard.

You also need to acknowledge that these guitars are made to the specs of a guitar that Ola would actually play live. If he likes that particular neck feel and likes those particular pickups, who is to judge him? It's a perfectly valid preference and at the end of the day it's his brand and he can do whatever the hell he wants with it.

What I've learned the most about this discussion is how it's impossible to please everyone.

I get all that. Obviously Ola's guitars are based on his specs... I'm not arguing that... nor having to invest MORE money into pickups (plenty of guitars that play as well or better, and so I might as well pop pickups that may play better). I'm just saying, it's pretty much the same guitar with some minor differences (e.g., single cut vs. double cut), which makes them less interesting to own multiple of.

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I get all that. Obviously Ola's guitars are based on his specs... I'm not arguing that... nor having to invest MORE money into pickups (plenty of guitars that play as well or better, and so I might as well pop pickups that may play better). I'm just saying, it's pretty much the same guitar with some minor differences (e.g., single cut vs. double cut), which makes them less interesting to own multiple of.
You're entitled to your opinion but as I've already said, the guitars share common pickups and neck specs for good reason.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Se7enHeaven

Reaction score
If i had a guitar company aimed specifically at metal i would also use the same pickups in all models. It just makes sense to me

You can play Metal with both active and passive pickups... two completely different animals. There are Metal guitars by Strandberg that sound nothing like Solar pickups (I had a Singularity and speak from experience). Yes, I know, swap out pickups. Not everyone's into that.

Se7enHeaven

Reaction score
You're entitled to your opinion but as I've already said, the guitars share common pickups and neck specs for good reason.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yes, exactly, it was merely an opinion and the Ola fans get defensive. Heck, I own two Solars and check out my photo.

Bearitone

Reaction score
You can play Metal with both active and passive pickups... two completely different animals. There are Metal guitars by Strandberg that sound nothing like Solar pickups (I had a Singularity and speak from experience). Yes, I know, swap out pickups. Not everyone's into that.

Yup. Totally understand. I’m saying, from a manufacturing point of view, it makes more sense.

Reaction score
If i had a guitar company aimed specifically at metal i would also use the same pickups in all models. It just makes sense to me

I see your point but "metal" varies for a lot of people and sonic preferences more so.

Options would be nice, but I understand why there's not. I still want a Solar; if I hate the pickups (doubt I would, I like what I've heard for a vast array of sub genres), I'd invest in different ones

:cheers:

Se7enHeaven

Reaction score
I see your point but "metal" varies for a lot of people and sonic preferences more so.

Options would be nice, but I understand why there's not. I still want a Solar; if I hate the pickups (doubt I would, I like what I've heard for a vast array of sub genres), I'd invest in different ones

:cheers:

Then why not get a good playing guitar with the pickups you would have purchased (at a few hundred bucks) in the first place? Not sure how many people recall Solar in the early days (not long ago) when Ola offered pickup choices... and recall that slime green Floyd Rose signature model that was on his site only months ago that did NOT have Solar pickups. Ola was not always 'consistent,' and I almost bought one of those signature models (before they sold out) simply because it was a different guitar in different ways besides the pickups. In any case, have a good night.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I mean the sole reason it had different pickups is because it was a signature model for someone else. :lol:

Hell the (possible) Jason Frankhouser/Killertone sig model will have Duncan Alt 8's in it.

Also the Duncan Solar pickups are Korean-made. Basically Duncan Designed pickups. He probably also put them in the non-signature guitars to save money

Se7enHeaven

Reaction score
I mean the sole reason it had different pickups is because it was a signature model for someone else. :lol:

If you RE-READ what I posted, before posting the laughing emoji, I clearly stated that Ola once offered more than one type of pickup. It was only after lack of interest sales that he stuck with only his preferred type. Consequently, he was not married to the idea of having only Duncan Solars in his stock (non-signature) models.

Reaction score
Then why not get a good playing guitar with the pickups you would have purchased (at a few hundred bucks) in the first place?

For me, it's all the other specs, aesthetics and affordability. Even tacking on another couple hundo for pickups if I wanted, the guitar would still be cheaper than a lot of other comparable ones.

There's also the used market. Sell old pickups to offset some of the cost or pickup the ones you want from someone in the opposite boat at a lower price.

This truly isn't a uncommon scenario, and again, all comes down to preference, you know? Maybe I love everything about a guitar, except the pickups. If it's worth it (to me), then yeah, I'd shell out more cash to have what I wanted.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
If you RE-READ what I posted, before posting the laughing emoji, I clearly stated that Ola once offered more than one type of pickup. It was only after lack of interest sales that he stuck with only his preferred type. Consequently, he was not married to the idea of having only Duncan Solars in his stock (non-signature) models.

I recall since the beginning that the Solar pickup was going to be the standard pickup for the entire line. I don't ever remember hearing him saying he was gonna switch to anything else. Hell I remember the complaining since the beginning that the Solar pickups were used on EVERY guitar.

Unless it appears to be a signature model. You talked about that green one, which was the signature model for a band known for using Dimarzio pickups.

I mean I'm looking at the webpage right now and I see a guitar with EMGs, and another with Fluences.

Latest posts

')