Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I thought the same when I inspected it. Especially when the grain pattern on the back is more consistent and even.

qAZN5Ik.jpg
Oh wow. I guess it's hard tell how it will ultimately turn out or something.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zenonshandro

Reaction score
I'm a lefty and I genuinely feel like my mind is inside out compared to the righties around me. O_O

Lefties are to Righties what musicians are to the rest of the world.

Hi guys, my first post here!

7ID0QMR.jpg

What do you guys think? Am I being a total dumbass for not getting the beauty of it?

I wanted to say 'Ah, man that's nothing, embrace its unique qualities', but the more I look at it, the more I could understand you not accepting it.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
That’s not all, folks! As I was fiddling with it I noticed this sound coming from the bridge cavity. There’s something loose in there, this doesn’t happen with my other Evertune guitar.

I guess this seals the guitar going back. (Open video clip to unmute)

vqzN6EJ.mp4

Last edited:

Ola Englund

Reaction score
I can also see that people might be thrown off by that look, that's the hard thing about open pore is that there is so many variables of different looks, some like a certain grain, some like a super pronounced one. Very selective, but with that said I totally understand if you don't like that one in particular.

Regarding what makes a sound in the cavity did you try and open it up and check what it is?

Anycase send an email through the website!

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
I can also see that people might be thrown off by that look, that's the hard thing about open pore is that there is so many variables of different looks, some like a certain grain, some like a super pronounced one. Very selective, but with that said I totally understand if you don't like that one in particular.

Regarding what makes a sound in the cavity did you try and open it up and check what it is?

Anycase send an email through the website!

Thanks for chiming in, Ola!

Like I said I totally get that wood is an organic material and imperfections are a part of it. I would just prefer mine to look a bit more... balanced.

Took the back plate off and kept turning the guitar but couldn’t see anything moving while it still made the sound. Didn’t want to start disassembling the bridge to see better.

Meanwhile, my S1.6PB is perfect :)

I’ll shoot an email to you guys.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Just shipped the guitar back.

Does anybody have or know of any additional pictures of a solar guitar with flame black matte finish? I’d love to see how the finish looks outside studio lighting and how subtle or visible the flame on the veneer is.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score

Does anybody have or know of any additional pictures of a solar guitar with flame black matte finish? I’d love to see how the finish looks outside studio lighting and how subtle or visible the flame on the veneer is.

Hey man. Try to ask on Modern Guitarist and/or Music Discussion Group on FB.

Reaction score

Maybe Instagram?

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Maybe Instagram?

Thanks, found some cool ones of the baritone version!

I think I’m gonna go with the A1.6FB, they have that in stock and even though I kind of prefer solid color tops I love how the finish on the FB is translucent on the back too. Top veneer seems subtle enough, I have the PB one for showing off.

lumena

catskill mountains
Reaction score
Just a question for anyone who has a solar A1.6 with Evertune.
What is the distance between the edge of the Evertune and the back of the bridge humbucker. I am thinking of getting an A1.6 and having the Roland GK3 mounted on it if there is enough space. No cracks please sometimes I use the guitar synth for keyboard parts if there is need.
thanks

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Just a question for anyone who has a solar A1.6 with Evertune.
What is the distance between the edge of the Evertune and the back of the bridge humbucker. I am thinking of getting an A1.6 and having the Roland GK3 mounted on it if there is enough space. No cracks please sometimes I use the guitar synth for keyboard parts if there is need.
thanks

On my S series 5mm to the edge of the pickup cavity, about 8mm to the pickup itself.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I just feel that deep circular grain pattern around the volume knob sticks out a bit too much especially when the top piece of wood is so understated. In its defence, it makes the guitar unique from all the other open pore Solars I’ve seen.

What do you guys think? Am I being a total dumbass for not getting the beauty of it?

No, not a dumbass at all... I would've sent it back too. That looks plain odd and I too would never get over it. LOL.

Rev.

Ola Englund

Reaction score

Hey man send me a PM and I’ll send you some FBB pics. I can’t seem to figure out posting pictures here from my phone

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Hey man send me a PM and I’ll send you some FBB pics. I can’t seem to figure out posting pictures here from my phone

It’s fine, I actually ordered an A1.6FB the same day I shipped the other one back. Should be here in Finland on Monday.

I’ll post pics of mine here when I get it.

MadYarpen

Reaction score
I received my V2.6 this week, and while I love the guitar, I have a little problem with it. But first let me tell you it looks awesome, and it is soooo comfortable to play seated.

Anyway, I have changed the strings, and the tuning (C# standard using EB 11-54 set, with 2 of the strings replaced to keep the tension eaven). Set it up as I like and it turns out I was barely able to set the length of the third string. The saddle in the bridge just ran out of space, I can't move it any further. As I said, it is barely correct. With my hearing I don't hear anything bad even with hi-gain distortion, but I think in reality it would need to be moved tiny bit more.

Do you have any suggestion what could I do? I guess tuning it up to D standard and using thinner strings is one way to go, but the point was to have this in C#. I was thinking about turning the saddle the other way around (they are not symmetrical, so the edge maybe would move a bit), but I don't think they can be taken out and put back in. So I don't know. Changing the brige? Thats not a good start for a new guitar.

Reaction score
I received my V2.6 this week, and while I love the guitar, I have a little problem with it. But first let me tell you it looks awesome, and it is soooo comfortable to play seated.

Anyway, I have changed the strings, and the tuning (C# standard using EB 11-54 set, with 2 of the strings replaced to keep the tension eaven). Set it up as I like and it turns out I was barely able to set the length of the third string. The saddle in the bridge just ran out of space, I can't move it any further. As I said, it is barely correct. With my hearing I don't hear anything bad even with hi-gain distortion, but I think in reality it would need to be moved tiny bit more.

Do you have any suggestion what could I do? I guess tuning it up to D standard and using thinner strings is one way to go, but the point was to have this in C#. I was thinking about turning the saddle the other way around (they are not symmetrical, so the edge maybe would move a bit), but I don't think they can be taken out and put back in. So I don't know. Changing the brige? Thats not a good start for a new guitar.
Sorry... are you trying to intonate or set the string height?

MadYarpen

Reaction score
Sorry... are you trying to intonate or set the string height?

Intonate, that's the English word!

I should move the saddle even more backwards (further away from the headstock) to have the note in tune on 12th fret, but I have ran out of space for the saddle.

Reaction score
Intonate, that's the English word!

I should move the saddle even more backwards (further away from the headstock) to have the note in tune on 12th fret, but I have ran out of space for the saddle.
That sounds... odd...

Did you recently change strings and if so, have they stretched out and settled? Another thing to consider is that the string could be getting caught at the nut. If that's the case, I would loosen the string to the point where you could unseat it from the nut, grab a pencil and just add some graphite into the slot (or colouring in the slot with the pencil if that makes more sense). It sounds more like you've over corrected the intonation and need to just reset the saddle closer to the string before it, re-tune and try again.

Also keep in mind that adjusting the saddle will also adjust the tuning so you have get it balanced between turning the tuning peg and moving the saddle. Don't just move one or the other, but both in small increments.

')