Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Ugh, I’m torn between ordering either the A1.6ATG or A1.7.

I want a longer scale guitar for tuning to B standard, they’re both 26.5”.

I don’t really have much experience with 7 string guitars (had one cheapo Ibanez briefly some 15 years ago) and my main concern is that I’d have a hard time getting used to the wider neck.

The A1.6ATG is perfect in every way except that it doesn’t come with the Evertune bridge, which I absolutely love.

S1.6-27 is unfortunately not an option, I just prefer the A-type visually and alder or ash as a body wood.

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ugh, I’m torn between ordering either the A1.6ATG or A1.7.

I want a longer scale guitar for tuning to B standard, they’re both 26.5”.

I don’t really have much experience with 7 string guitars (had one cheapo Ibanez briefly some 15 years ago) and my main concern is that I’d have a hard time getting used to the wider neck.

The A1.6ATG is perfect in every way except that it doesn’t come with the Evertune bridge, which I absolutely love.

S1.6-27 is unfortunately not an option, I just prefer the A-type visually and alder or ash as a body wood.
7 string guitars are always going to be more versatile than 6 string guitars in terms of how they can be tuned. By simple virtue of the fact that there are more strings to modify. There's absolutely nothing stopping you from tuning a 7 string exactly like a baritone 6, but not the other way around. So logic dictates to get a 7.

7 string was something I grew to get used to relatively quickly but of course, that varies from person to person.

Go to a guitar store and play a 7 string guitar for a while. If that's not an option, the next most pragmatic thing is to buy a used cheap 7 string, keep it a while and after you've made up your mind, flip it.

dave_kindo94

Reaction score
Hello, have someone experience with Solar A2.8 BOP 8 string guitar? Looks great but I cant find review or demo...

Walter W.

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice blue burst on this one.

S1.6FRQOB-FRONT-HORIZONTAL.png
If that blue burst came in a purple burst I'd have a jizz burst

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
If that blue burst came in a purple burst I'd have a jizz burst

Haha, it sure is a pretty guitar but too flashy for me personally. Would look great on a wall though! For some reason I’ve never liked quilt tops nearly as much as flame tops.

littlebadboy

Reaction score

I was in the same situation. I tried 7-strings twice (on cheapos) but couldn't get used tobthe wider neck with my tiny hands. I settled on a 28" baritone and liked it better!

AndiKravljaca

Reaction score
Solar is one of those companies I want to give a chance, I want to buy one of Ola's guitars just because he's from here and I want to support him. But Ole, please build seven string guitars with shorter scales! All I want is a 25.5 with a Floyd Rose, so I can keep shredding, and then do the seventh string once in a while.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Solar is one of those companies I want to give a chance, I want to buy one of Ola's guitars just because he's from here and I want to support him. But Ole, please build seven string guitars with shorter scales! All I want is a 25.5 with a Floyd Rose, so I can keep shredding, and then do the seventh string once in a while.

At the moment there is two models with floyd and 25.5" scale. Though the lemon A2.7 is with Floyd Rose Special which is not the best option for a floating bridge.

https://www.solar-guitars.com/product/a1-7frc-ltd-carbon-black-matte/
https://www.solar-guitars.com/product/a2-7fr-ln-lemon-neon-matte/

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
7 string guitars are always going to be more versatile than 6 string guitars in terms of how they can be tuned. By simple virtue of the fact that there are more strings to modify. There's absolutely nothing stopping you from tuning a 7 string exactly like a baritone 6, but not the other way around. So logic dictates to get a 7.

7 string was something I grew to get used to relatively quickly but of course, that varies from person to person.

Go to a guitar store and play a 7 string guitar for a while. If that's not an option, the next most pragmatic thing is to buy a used cheap 7 string, keep it a while and after you've made up your mind, flip it.

Went and tried another 7 string, as expected felt weird at first but didn’t take too long until the neck started feeling manageable.

Played it until I was comfortable enough to make a decision and just placed an order for an A1.7C. It was a tough choice between that and the A1.7 Artist, but I’ve learned that when deciding between appearance the more boring one usually is better in the long run.

AndiKravljaca

Reaction score

Metropolis

Reaction score
This is really interesting. For some reason I had it in my mind that they were 26.5''? This requires serious budget discussions :cheers:

They started with 26.5, but since E, G and V sevens came they started doing 25.5 more because they had necks already. So E, G and V are also 25.5. And the A1.7 I linked is a leftover Dan Vadim Von signature with added dot inlays and matte black finish, which was discussed few pages back. Good thing that it costs 200 less than original model with different finish and without being a signature model.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I'm just the same. I just don't feel like messing with it and essentially "devaluing" the guitar monetarily just to increase it's value to me. I've never been much of a modder on guitars other than pickups.
Life is too short too stay stock. Mod away and be free!

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score

I bought the A2.7 FR LN for exactly that reason. Had it refretted with Jescar Super Jumbo SS frets and voila!

Only things missing for shred (for my tastes), are satin/tung oil back of neck finishes and fretboard dots (it gets pretty hard with fast position changes mixed with tapping arpeggios).

https://www.solar-guitars.com/product/a2-7fr-ln-lemon-neon-matte/

Walter W.

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Went and tried another 7 string, as expected felt weird at first but didn’t take too long until the neck started feeling manageable.

Played it until I was comfortable enough to make a decision and just placed an order for an A1.7C. It was a tough choice between that and the A1.7 Artist, but I’ve learned that when deciding between appearance the more boring one usually is better in the long run.

Nice, what finish did you get

')