Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Just a short clip with the A1.6FB, love it!

https://i.imgur.com/8DGMedn.mp4
8DGMedn.mp4

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
NGD again!

1qI0hZn_d.jpg

Does anybody know the stock string gauges on the Solar 7 string guitars? Just says 09-62 on the website... I like the feel of these and when the time comes I want to be sure to restring it with a set that feels as close as possible.

Merrekof

Reaction score
I’ve learned that when deciding between appearance the more boring one usually is better in the long run.
For real, that's why I never complain that there are too many black guitars. I never get tired of black guitars!

Nice, good luck when you get it! :)

Metropolis

Reaction score
NGD again!

1qI0hZn_d.jpg

Does anybody know the stock string gauges on the Solar 7 string guitars? Just says 09-62 on the website... I like the feel of these and when the time comes I want to be sure to restring it with a set that feels as close as possible.

Congrats!

Probably same gauges as these, I could be wrong though if they used different set for thinnest six strings.
http://www.blacksmithstrings.com/products/read.jsp?reqPageNo=1&shospital_fk=1&no=741

But if you want to try something else because you don't find Blacksmith strings anywhere and not want to build a whole custom set, then any 9-42 or 9-46 set with individual 62 should be close enough.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Congrats!

Probably same gauges as these, I could be wrong though if they used different set for thinnest six strings.
http://www.blacksmithstrings.com/products/read.jsp?reqPageNo=1&shospital_fk=1&no=741

But if you want to try something else because you don't find Blacksmith strings anywhere and not want to build a whole custom set, then any 9-42 or 9-46 set with individual 62 should be close enough.

Ah, browsed the Blacksmith site but for some reason that set didn’t catch my eye, thanks!

Wasn’t planning on buying Blacksmith anyway, NYXL and Ernie Ball are my go to strings.

MadYarpen

Reaction score
I am wondering if they will include this army green in their offer permanently. I am GASing for V2.7C, but if there was an army green one, I'd probably choose that one...

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Gotta say - even though I wasn’t 100% sure about getting a 7 string at first - that the A1.7 has been one of, if not the most inspirational piece of equipment I’ve bought for a long, long time.

Bridge pickup was a bit too mushy on the low strings for my tastes so I swapped it for a Black Winter. Holy hell. Love the clarity and punch.

Rocktoe

Reaction score
Whoaaa, last time I posted was in 2011, time to get back at it! Solars seem pretty damn solid specs-wise, I just placed an order for an S1.6PP with an Evertune bridge and can't wait for its delivery in April.

S1.6PP-DETAIL.png

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Whoaaa, last time I posted was in 2011, time to get back at it! Solars seem pretty damn solid specs-wise, I just placed an order for an S1.6PP with an Evertune bridge and can't wait for its delivery in April.

I've had my eye on that one for a while. Used to be cheaper on Thomann than direct but now they're the same. Not sure which party adjusted price. Let us know when you get it.

Rocktoe

Reaction score
I've had my eye on that one for a while. Used to be cheaper on Thomann than direct but now they're the same. Not sure which party adjusted price. Let us know when you get it.

Will do! I ordered straight from the Solar website about a week ago and it seems I was just in time, since it now shows that model as sold out.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score

S1.6PP-DETAIL.png

Nice! My S1.6PB was very nice although quite heavy, probably because of the mahogany body.

Rocktoe

Reaction score
Nice! My S1.6PB was very nice although quite heavy, probably because of the mahogany body.

I'm kinda kicking myself for not getting the limited green poplar top model earlier, but purple looks pretty tasty too. As long as the the weight is below 5kg, it's all good to me.

MadYarpen

Reaction score
Purple one is perfect. I would choose this if I was buying a strat shape. I hope you will say how is the finish and all.

CptSlyboots

Sabertooth Bongwater
Reaction score
So I just received my S1.6PP today and I've got to say, I'm a bit let down by the finish. It's not quite what I was expecting given the images/videos I've seen so far, but I can't find anyone in the wild who has one to compare with. Thoughts? I've reached out via email to Solar, but if this is by design I guess I can live with it? Other than the finish it feels like a stellar instrument!
dD9h335n

Attachments

• solar.jpg
    solar.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 142

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
So I just received my S1.6PP today and I've got to say, I'm a bit let down by the finish. It's not quite what I was expecting given the images/videos I've seen so far, but I can't find anyone in the wild who has one to compare with. Thoughts? I've reached out via email to Solar, but if this is by design I guess I can live with it? Other than the finish it feels like a stellar instrument!
dD9h335n

Wood grain will always be different but this one has less purple paint in the middle than expected. I even had to look up which model this is supposed to be.

CptSlyboots

Sabertooth Bongwater
Reaction score
Wood grain will always be different but this one has less purple paint in the middle than expected. I even had to look up which model this is supposed to be.
Yeah, that's what I mean. I'm totally fine with the burl itself, totally get they'll always vary, but the lack of stain in the center is a bummer. It looks more like the blackburst models which I'm not as much a fan of, as the all stained green version.

Rocktoe

Reaction score
dD9h335n

That's weird. They've marked guitars B-stock for lesser finish flaws than this. I really hope my guitar will have purple center when it arrives in April.

')