Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rocktoe

Reaction score
Well, I received this guy today and it's pretty much everything I wanted it to be, nothing to complain. The distressed Evertune key and Schaller straplocks that came with it gave me a slight chuckle: Way to stick with the theme!

P_20200427_131506_001.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
...And since I'm a rails kind of guy, here it is with a nicely worn Duncan El Diablo:

P_20200427_153212.jpg

Agreed! Rail pickups look pretty sweet in there; catching some JP vibes which is never a bad thing.

If you’re a rail connoisseur, I’d recommend the Avedissian Railsplitter. I have one in a Chuck Tribute Stealth and it is excellent. Tone is on the warmer side but still powerful.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
For example, I think that Thomann's QC is 100% BS, they sell so many guitars that they cannot waste time unboxing and checking every guitar, but their major asset is that they can rely on a huge structure, and can consequently handle without any problem a large B-STOCK inventory made of the guitars returned by the customers.

It's circumstantial, but the three flawless Gibsons I got came from thomann. Is it luck or did they catch the bad ones ?

About the Solar prices, I'm fine with what I got. The Evertune still is a specialty bridge which is pretty expensive. Other brands LTDs with stock evertunes are priced in the same 1200€ ballpark.

Rocktoe

Reaction score
About the Solar prices, I'm fine with what I got. The Evertune still is a specialty bridge which is pretty expensive. Other brands LTDs with stock evertunes are priced in the same 1200€ ballpark.

This is how I feel as well. I wanted a strat shaped guitar with a C-profile neck, stainless steel frets, locking tuners and most importantly EverTune. Solar is the best deal around if you want those specs. For regular hardtail or locking trem guitars there are a lot more options for sure.

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
Quick question, as I read a lot (ok not all) pages from this topic and I am eyeing a solar... Are there any qualitative differences between a series 2 and a series 1 beside hardware? As in, do the 1 have a better fretjob and overall QC?

DickyTripleD

Reaction score
Quick question, as I read a lot (ok not all) pages from this topic and I am eyeing a solar... Are there any qualitative differences between a series 2 and a series 1 beside hardware? As in, do the 1 have a better fretjob and overall QC?

They're made in the same factory, so apparently not. It's only the feature set that changes.

VGK17

Reaction score
I have an E1.6 and an E2.6. Both are fantastic guitars, no blemishes or anything on either, no fretwork needed, etc. I've had them for over a year already, absolutely love them. The only differences are in the features, as the guy before me stated. I did swap out the stock tuners on the 2.6 for locking tuners, that's really the only thing I think the 2 series is missing.

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
I have an E1.6 and an E2.6. Both are fantastic guitars, no blemishes or anything on either, no fretwork needed, etc. I've had them for over a year already, absolutely love them. The only differences are in the features, as the guy before me stated. I did swap out the stock tuners on the 2.6 for locking tuners, that's really the only thing I think the 2 series is missing.
thanks a lot, very informative. I do not care for the Everyone and SS frets so a slightly upgraded series 2 might make more sense.

Miggzzor

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys! So i just got a Solar A2.7 first guitar ive bought in 10years i used to own several guitars when i was in my teens and mid 20s my main guitar for all those years was a lovely fender AM strat that i beat up for many years gigging and jamming i loved it and eventually had to sell it along with an ibanez artstar 335 style guitar due to different life circumstances, and i got gifted an alright beater prs SE from a friend that ive been playing on for past year.

Well anyways i thought it was finally time to get myself a new guitar and seeing as my countryman Ola had his own line of guitars and ive been hearing nothing but good things from his brand i thought id take the plunge and get myself a nice player guitar, ive never owned a seven string before so i felt it would be a nice change and source of inspiration and motivation to get better due to instrument being so different from anything ive ever owned before!

The guitar looks amazing for starters! Sounds great it does need abit of a setup because i have some buzz on some frets on the thicker strings and also it came with a really high string height with the bridge setup at max height which i found abit odd but should be able to setup fine, it has a really nice bright and snappy sound on the lighter strings i really enjoy for chords and the C shaped neck feels great!

One QC issue i found was that the nut saddle is a tad bit short on the high E string and the fretboard pokes out abit at the end im not sure if this could cause any issues and warrants me contacting thomann, maybe you guys could give some insight on if its worth the trouble and if any owners have seen anything similar on their models. Anyways new to the forum and it feels fun to delve into guitar related communitys again!

Cheers.
Screenshot_20200502-055919.jpg
IMG_20200502_055800.jpg
Screenshot_20200502-062028__01.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200502_055731.jpg
    IMG_20200502_055731.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10

Atefred

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One QC issue i found was that the nut saddle is a tad bit short on the high E string and the fretboard pokes out abit at the end im not sure if this could cause any issues and warrants me contacting thomann, maybe you guys could give some insight on if its worth the trouble and if any owners have seen anything similar on their models. Anyways new to the forum and it feels fun to delve into guitar related communitys again!

Not the same model, but i have a solar A1.6. the nut lines up fine with the neck. (Sounds like a minor cosmetic issue to me)

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just happened to browse Solar website, and noticed that some models from 2019 were back to store... Next thing I know, I'm filling out my shipping information on the S1.6 PB LTD, which is (based on my observations) exactly the same guitar as the 'non-LTD' version of the S1.6PB, with the exception of fret markers (which I really like). It's not purple, but it seems like a cool guitar and with the fret markers I'm totally sold on the thought that this is the perfect studio guitar. The neck might not be as thin as Thin U of Esp, but I'm willing to go out of my comfort zone for this, as everything else seems like a spot on for me.

MadYarpen

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about ash V 7-string? I would like a 7 in addition to the six I already have, but all are mahogany.

BTW, I keep having problems with mine, it probably needs to go back to thomann for repair, something is broken with the neck pickup. Or with the switch, in any case this isn't something I can do myself. I really hope after that nothing more happens.

Rocktoe

Reaction score
I just happened to browse Solar website, and noticed that some models from 2019 were back to store... Next thing I know, I'm filling out my shipping information on the S1.6 PB LTD, which is (based on my observations) exactly the same guitar as the 'non-LTD' version of the S1.6PB, with the exception of fret markers (which I really like). It's not purple, but it seems like a cool guitar and with the fret markers I'm totally sold on the thought that this is the perfect studio guitar. The neck might not be as thin as Thin U of Esp, but I'm willing to go out of my comfort zone for this, as everything else seems like a spot on for me.

For a moment they had a Lime Burst available as well: Really wanted that one but I can't justify any more new guitars this year.

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For a moment they had a Lime Burst available as well: Really wanted that one but I can't justify any more new guitars this year.

Oh man, I totally missed that! That would've been even more better than what I ordered... Oh well, it's better not to dwell on what I could've gotten, or so I try to say to myself haha

I just hope that everything goes well with the order, as the url for the guitar I ordered (S1.6ETPB LTD) has "b-stock" in its url when viewed on the website, but nowhere else it states that the guitar I ordered would be a b-stock, neither does it state it on the receipt... Maybe I'll send them an email just to be sure, I payed it already tho...

Last edited:

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just hope that everything goes well with the order, as the url for the guitar I ordered (S1.6ETPB LTD) has "b-stock" in its url when viewed on the website, but nowhere else it states that the guitar I ordered would be a b-stock, neither does it state it on the receipt... Maybe I'll send them an email just to be sure, I payed it already tho...

And this has been already cleared up, I was worried for nothing! I guess the lockdown has made me really paranoid... Alright, more guitars, less worrying!

Latest posts

')