Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Oh, so the body and neck are bound then. Probably help if had read that earlier! : ) Anyways. As long as it's not paper thin and 1-2mm thick it should work out pretty well for looks. That paper thin stuff is what can be an issue because if you get a dent then it goes right thorough and is hard to fix if wanted, or if you wanna refinish the guitar it's almost impossible. If it's 1-2mm then it should be ok for that types stuff.

It is basically paper thin.

I can see the body wood color differences through the top veneer on my A1.6FB between the pieces glued together.

The top veneers are strictly for looks on all Solars.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
It is basically paper thin.

I can see the body wood color differences through the top veneer on my A1.6FB between the pieces glued together.

The top veneers are strictly for looks on all Solars.
Still a kick ass looking guitar though. Looks like a great guitar for the money really. Even without any top it looks like a deal. Still very interested in these.

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Still a kick ass looking guitar though. Looks like a great guitar for the money really. Even without any top it looks like a deal. Still very interested in these.

Yeah, good looking guitar, just not my cup of tea, lol

Still interested in the A1.6LN and the new purple one, I just don’t want to order direct because of the issues I’ve had.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Ever since seeing a Jackson PC1 in natural I had a soft spot for naturals with gold hardware. However, I am pretty biased against cheap imports -- nothing wrong with them if that is all that you can afford but I don't own a lot of guitars now I and I tend to go for quality over quantity. At one point I owned like 6 LTD's, a few boogie street exclusives and like 1 USA Washburn and 1 Japan ESP. I got rid of all of them because I felt like there was no point in owning so many lower end guitars and now only own a few USA Jackson Misha guitars. I kind of want one of those though....are they trash quality?

Edit: I am not trying to sound like a shit poster by any means just trying to gauge the quality of solars.

Last edited:

Soulmate

Guitar owner
Reaction score
Ever since seeing a Jackson PC1 in natural I had a soft spot for naturals with gold hardware. However, I am pretty biased against cheap imports -- nothing wrong with them if that is all that you can afford but I don't own a lot of guitars now I and I tend to go for quality over quantity. At one point I owned like 6 LTD's, a few boogie street exclusives and like 1 USA Washburn and 1 Japan ESP. I got rid of all of them because I felt like there was no point in owning so many lower end guitars and now only own a few USA Jackson Misha guitars. I kind of want one of those though....are they trash quality?

Edit: I am not trying to sound like a shit poster by any means just trying to gauge the quality of solars.

Quality's on par with other guitars in the same price range, although based on the 5 Solars I’ve played fretwork seems to be better than on most other brands.

AxRookie

Aspiring Expert
Reaction score
My Mexican Charvel DK24 has worse fret ends than my Solars but some similar finish inconsistencies.

I’ve found out that current guitars in the ~1000€/$/£ price range are great spec wise but there’s always a chance of some finish and qc issues.
I now believe that the most important thing above all else by a very wide margin is finding a guitar that at its core is constructed with the best materials your money can buy and use the best process that is currently known and in that way, anything else like finishing work can be easily corrected later IF needed...

If you follow that you can never be disappointed with that guitar, and you can only be possibly irritated for a limited amount of time if the rest isn't perfect as most things in life aren't.

In the end, you will have the guitar you had hoped for no matter how bad the little things are because you hoped you wouldn't have to deal with them but they are easily corrected if need be...

couchguitarplayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I kinda disagree with that statement. It's really frustrating to get a guitar that has issues from the beginning. That's why I now skip most large selling companies.

I bought a Jackson HT-6 pro 2 years ago and this guitar had so many issues, that it was frustrating. The shop where I got it told me they will fix it. The Frets needed to be leveled and after a while I've noticed that the bottom E string was not well aligned. There was also electronics failure.

I also bought a Chapman MLV pro 2 years ago (online). My luthier told me the neck was slightly warped and that the nut (floyd rose) was set too high. He fixed it, but it was still not perfect.

I had an Ibanez AZ premium who was great for playability. But there were some flaws on the finish and tuning stability (nut).

I've paid (in CAN $), 1200$ for the jackson, 1600$ for the chapman and the Ibanez was over 2000$. This gets me to why some brands don't have issues ? Ever heard issues from Fender, Musicman, PRS (even SE) ??? I had a 2013 American deluxe Strat (1500$ CAN) that was spot on! Would you get your brand new car back to the seller or to another garage to fix it if there was issues?

I'm not saying all Brands are bad. Honestly I haven't played any solar yet (but I will). But QC issues makes me go away. I will never buy again a Jackson because of that.

I now believe that the most important thing above all else by a very wide margin is finding a guitar that at its core is constructed with the best materials your money can buy and use the best process that is currently known and in that way, anything else like finishing work can be easily corrected later IF needed...

If you follow that you can never be disappointed with that guitar, and you can only be possibly irritated for a limited amount of time if the rest isn't perfect as most things in life aren't.

In the end, you will have the guitar you had hoped for no matter how bad the little things are because you hoped you wouldn't have to deal with them but they are easily corrected if need be...

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I wouldn’t write off any brand for 1 or 2 guitars that were sketchy QC-wise. There are lemons and small imperfections at nearly every tier of guitar quality, but there are also diamonds in the rough at every tier as well. Depending on which tier you’re looking will determine how few and far between they are.

I’ve played many a shitty LTD in a guitar center that had sticky tuners and gum on the volume knob but was otherwise perfect, then played a Gibby LP custom with clearly wrongly cut nuts, etc. then you turn around and the same exact models are garbage and/or awesome as hell. You just gotta keep looking out for the good ones.

AxRookie

Aspiring Expert
Reaction score
I kinda disagree with that statement. It's really frustrating to get a guitar that has issues from the beginning. That's why I now skip most large selling companies.

I bought a Jackson HT-6 pro 2 years ago and this guitar had so many issues, that it was frustrating. The shop where I got it told me they will fix it. The Frets needed to be leveled and after a while I've noticed that the bottom E string was not well aligned. There was also electronics failure.

I also bought a Chapman MLV pro 2 years ago (online). My luthier told me the neck was slightly warped and that the nut (floyd rose) was set too high. He fixed it, but it was still not perfect.

I had an Ibanez AZ premium who was great for playability. But there were some flaws on the finish and tuning stability (nut).

I've paid (in CAN $), 1200$ for the jackson, 1600$ for the chapman and the Ibanez was over 2000$. This gets me to why some brands don't have issues ? Ever heard issues from Fender, Musicman, PRS (even SE) ??? I had a 2013 American deluxe Strat (1500$ CAN) that was spot on! Would you get your brand new car back to the seller or to another garage to fix it if there was issues?

I'm not saying all Brands are bad. Honestly I haven't played any solar yet (but I will). But QC issues makes me go away. I will never buy again a Jackson because of that.
Those issues go well beyond what I consider to be "finishing work".

"Ever heard issues from Fender, Musicman, PRS (even SE) ???" well yes I have, I've read bad stories about almost all of the well-known brands BUT how many of those stories are accurately relaying what happened remains to be seen so I treat them at such, just stories...

BUT I agree no new guitar should ever have issues, especially not considering what they cost which could be anywhere in the neighborhood of a few thousand dollars and up to $6,000.00 or more! for that kind of money, it should paint your house and fart rainbows, not give you a headache!

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
To be fair, reverse headstocks should be the standard and it’s the kids these days that are wrong.
The kids these days are actually the ones who are all about reverse headstocks. Boomers would get an aneurysm if they see this.

0320327505_886x300.jpg

Last edited:
')