Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saying the QC dipped "because of the pandemic" is such a cop out. They are still building the guitars fine, but suddenly they decided to start cutting corners on the QC before it leaves the factory? It's a BS excuse that has nothing to do with supply chain issues cited above.

Solar is getting a reputation for shitty QC on the internet and I don't think it's because of supply chain issues related to covid. That is my point. It was mostly responding to the person trying to justify the drop in QC using covid as an excuse:
Considering that there are a number of factors that could actually be effected by the pandemic, I'm not sure why you think it's a lie.
Travel got fucked, inventory got fucked, manpower got fucked, finances got fucked. Now take that and apply it to Solar.
Now, take that and apply it to EVERY single company that Solar works with.
Take that and apply to EVERY supplier that Solar works with. I could be wrong but Solar seemed to be doing fine with no complaints for a good while, and then the issues with QC started happening. Even if those issues weren't pandemic related, trying to fix them can certainly be hindered by the pandemic.
If nothing else, it sure as hell doesn't help things. It's more logical to believe that Ola and the powers that be have a lot on their hands and they're trying to fix the issue, but covid is making things difficult. It's not as logical to believe that Solar is just purposely pumping out crap that will damage the company and ruin it even though there's nothing stopping them from fixing it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to justify it; I've no dog in this fight whatsoever beyond wanting a relatively cheap Evertune 7-string at some point 😂 I just presumed that if the QC process involved the CEO of the company flying from Spain to Indonesia, that was likely impacted by the fact that there was a large amount of time where people couldn't fly whatsoever. The spotty-QC issues are exactly why I'm wary of grabbing one of these in future, as attractive as the specs/price point may be.

I just got a lesson today in what happens when I‘m not able to keep my eyes on everything my staff does. It happens to me at least once a week, despite these guys knowing better. Just today I made the mistake of assuming they did the bare minimum and checked a breaker panel for a down AC, mainly because they told me they did. I have our electrical vendor come out and we both assume the bare minimum effort was put in and we start checking conduits, climbing in ceilings and disrupting tenants. After an hour and a half of getting no where, I check the breaker panel and the fuckin’ thing was tripped.

So I can definitely understand what happens when the main guy isn’t able to put eyes on things. Half my damn job is double checking my staff’s work, even though they’re more than capable of doing it properly, if given an inch, they’ll take a mile.

That said, whoever is overseeing the Solar FB page must be doing a REALLY good job at deleting anything remotely negative because I still haven’t seen any issues pop up in quite a while, just people saying the issues are still existing on forums.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So Ola did a new video revisiting the Laney Ironheart, and he brought out his old S7G.

Someone brought this up and I agree it would be cool; a Solar based on the specs of his old S7G. Full-guitar binding, 27.5'' scale length, 26 frets, Duncan Distortions. Almost like Matt Heafy's doing with his Origin sig guitar.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
So Ola did a new video revisiting the Laney Ironheart, and he brought out his old S7G.

Someone brought this up and I agree it would be cool; a Solar based on the specs of his old S7G. Full-guitar binding, 27.5'' scale length, 26 frets, Duncan Distortions. Almost like Matt Heafy's doing with his Origin sig guitar.

I’ve always wondered why he hasn’t done this since starting Solar. I haven’t watched the video yet, so I could be completely off base, but maybe those specs aren’t really to his liking anymore? That was about a decade ago wasn’t it?

That said, I would actually scoop one up just for nostalgia reasons and it being a sick design.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I’ve always wondered why he hasn’t done this since starting Solar. I haven’t watched the video yet, so I could be completely off base, but maybe those specs aren’t really to his liking anymore? That was about a decade ago wasn’t it?

That said, I would actually scoop one up just for nostalgia reasons and it being a sick design.
He talks about it around 5:35 in the video. Harder for him to play + higher strings sound harsh.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
That said, whoever is overseeing the Solar FB page must be doing a REALLY good job at deleting anything remotely negative because I still haven’t seen any issues pop up in quite a while, just people saying the issues are still existing on forums.
Lightbulb moment: Let's get THAT guy out to the factory to do QC. Nothing gets past him!

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not exactly a Solar issue, but since the guitar in question is my Solar, I'll just ask here. My S1.6 has Evertune, which keeps the tuning really well. But ever since I got my guitar 2 years ago, I've noticed that most of the days the touch feels different, and I thought the problem is with the Evertune. But I was wrong, the problem is with the tuning pegs! The tuners for my e and b strings are more loose and easier to turn than other pegs, so they 'slip' during the night by themselves and since I like to be able to bend as easily as on a regular bridge, I always notice the difference in touch. I know, it's not a big deal to find the sweet spot everytime I pick up the guitar, but I was wondering if anyone here had the same issue, and is there a way to tighten up the tuning pegs so they wouldn't lose any tension?

Zhysick

Reaction score
Not exactly a Solar issue, but since the guitar in question is my Solar, I'll just ask here. My S1.6 has Evertune, which keeps the tuning really well. But ever since I got my guitar 2 years ago, I've noticed that most of the days the touch feels different, and I thought the problem is with the Evertune. But I was wrong, the problem is with the tuning pegs! The tuners for my e and b strings are more loose and easier to turn than other pegs, so they 'slip' during the night by themselves and since I like to be able to bend as easily as on a regular bridge, I always notice the difference in touch. I know, it's not a big deal to find the sweet spot everytime I pick up the guitar, but I was wondering if anyone here had the same issue, and is there a way to tighten up the tuning pegs so they wouldn't lose any tension?

I havent had that problem myself actually, but one of the things I do as soon as I get a new guitar is to tighten all parts including the tuners although the Solar locking tuners were great but I do it mainly to avoid nose of parts vibrating. Normally if a tuner turns too easily you can tighten it up with the screw you can see in the tuning peg. Tighten it bit by bit since you will feel it can get too hard to turn and that's not good either.

Apart from that, do this happen always or just if the strings are new? Because the Evertune "compensates" for the tuning so if the string is new and stretches the tuning will stay spot on but the "zone 2" will move backwards hence the more difficulty to bend... but if the string is already stretched and still happens this then it might be the tuner.

BusinessMan

Reaction score

His washburn sigs had a model that had the binding and looked awesome. I'd get one in a heartbeat (either washburn or solar) if the did it.

JazzS

Reaction score
New 29-Inch Baritone -

20220512112841-A1.6FBB-2920-20FRONT20HORIZONTAL.png

pahulkster

Reaction score
Not for me but that thing is sick. Still trying to decide if I really want the 27" E series.

mrdm53

Reaction score
Someone with any model of 8 string Solar with Evertune bridge please confirm:

What maximum gauge can you put in 8th string without any modification?

Latest posts

')